BJJ will always be the answer to wrestling(or: how i've learned to relax and love sweeps)

mister piscadinha

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Jack Slack posted a nice video analyzing the fight betwen mansour barnaoui and shamil zavurov

zavurov, being a part of khabib's team, is a wrestler who tries to establish top control to deal damage or looks for submissions
but in this fight, while he could take mansour down, he could not do much with it and would get reversed everytime

and to me, the point is not about this fight itself, but about how much sweeps are ignored in mma, should be a obvious weapon for bjj based fighters when dealing with control grapplers
if O'malley was as good in BJJ as we thought he was, he probably could have used them to reverse position

also here's a compilation of sweeps being used in mma, the first one being GSP in one of his first fights(he couldnt show his bjj in the ufc cause no one could take him down by that point)

Fantastic, thanks for posting these. I'll watch them during my workout tonight.

BJJ has really suffered from the absence of Vale Tudo. Sweeps, upkicks, defending yourself from strikes... they've disappeared from most (all?) BJJ curriculum.

Fantastic, thanks for posting these. I'll watch them during my workout tonight.

BJJ has really suffered from the absence of Vale Tudo. Sweeps, upkicks, defending yourself from strikes... they've disappeared from most (all?) BJJ curriculum.
No upkicks is the weirdest thing in mma.
What is the story about that?

I honestly have no idea. People are in prime position to throw them all the time and they can end fights.
Martial arts movies had a bad influence on me training Taekwondo.
I stretched until I could kick behind my own shoulder like in one of the movies but I can not remember its name.
Really cool scene though! Imagine being told you are not allowed to use your arm legs in MMA lying on the floor?

the guys that fought GSP would disagree with you. dominant wrestling plus LnP is pretty hard to get around.

GSP is a black belt and his BJJ coach was Danaher lol
that's nice, but he didn't even need to use any of it. GSP without the black belt still does whatever he wants. as did guys like hughes. a good enough wrestler is going to be able to lie on you as much as he wants without getting in danger, as long as he isn't concerned with getting a finish.

that's nice, but he didn't even need to use any of it. GSP without the black belt still does whatever he wants. as did guys like hughes. a good enough wrestler is going to be able to lie on you as much as he wants without getting in danger, as long as he isn't concerned with getting a finish.

Not at all. The top game control, passing, and positional dominance is BJJ. It's a common misconception that this is wrestling. Wrestling does not teach this.

the guys that fought GSP would disagree with you. dominant wrestling plus LnP is pretty hard to get around.

<6>

No upkicks is the weirdest thing in mma.
What is the story about that?
I think by default it just violates the grounded opponent BS and no one really thought about it or cared when it went into practice

I think by default it just violates the grounded opponent BS and no one really thought about it or cared when it went into practice
Pretty naive there.
Upkicks ruined the show early on.
People wanted fighters diving into guards like in pro wrestling so the clowns just removed it.
They still want fighters to do it so it will never come back.
It makes fighters hesitant for action because it functions great!
And hesitant fighters makes for less $.

Pretty naive there.
Upkicks ruined the show early on.
People wanted fighters diving into guards like in pro wrestling so the clowns just removed it.
They still want fighters to do it so it will never come back.
It makes fighters hesitant for action because it functions great!
And hesitant fighters makes for less $.
Shrug. I've never heard this before, maybe there's something to it. Seems a bit out there

In my opinion at least they're leaving money on the table with the current ruleset, the fights could be more exciting

Shrug. I've never heard this before, maybe there's something to it. Seems a bit out there

In my opinion at least they're leaving money on the table with the current ruleset, the fights could be more exciting
I agree!
Just put that together thinking about it for a minute.
But I believe that is why it happened and getting rid of it at this point would at worst mean no damage.
So why the fuck do we have it?

I agree!
Just put that together thinking about it for a minute.
But I believe that is why it happened and getting rid of it at this point would at worst mean no damage.
So why the fuck do we have it?
Who knows. I didn't mean that no one's thought about it, necessarily, but just the motivation to change it seems lacking. Or maybe something's blocking it. They've talked about how hard it was to get even simple things changed. There's a boxing commission involved, too... I'll just leave it at that

Actually just now I think I've found something very interesting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickestvisitor
Back