BJJ Shock=Fedor choked out by Werdum Shock?

GSparky

Green Belt
Reaction score
What's Good everyone? I was reading some of these threads & just wanted to know what everyone's opinion on what it would take to give people the same feeling of how I felt when Fedor got choked out by Werdum. What match & outcome in BJJ gave you the most depressed & hopeless feeling weather the match actually happened or if something were to happen in BJJ.

As an example, if Roger Gracie were to tap (not just lose but tap) to someone in his weight class or open weight class.

What are your guy's thoughts? Did anyone have this feeling when Marcelo Garcia lost?

I was shocked, but in a good way, and the Werdum match filled me to the brim with motivation for BJJ training.

I was shocked, but in a good way, and the Werdum match filled me to the brim with motivation for BJJ training.

I'm happy to hear that this fight motivated you to train harder in BJJ.

I wish something would motivate you to actually step on the mat instead of making excuses of waiting to move to Houston.

How about not giving away the fight in the thread title for people who didn't see the fight yet ?

Anyways I think Fedor was a bit careless and overconfident in that fight.

But hey it's MMA and anything can happen, even to Fedor. It doesn't change his status in my mind, it just shows that he's human and can be defeated, just like the greatest in all sports.

Need to look at the heavies and contenders, to see all the noob threads like "Fedor exposed" and the likes.

I wish something would motivate you to actually step on the mat instead of making excuses of waiting to move to Houston.

Eh, nothing wrong with just being an MMA fan. Not everyone has to train. I don't play baseball but I watch it and talk about it all the time.

How about not giving away the fight in the thread title for people who didn't see the fight yet ?

Anyways I think Fedor was a bit careless and overconfident in that fight.

But hey it's MMA and anything can happen, even to Fedor. It doesn't change his status in my mind, it just shows that he's human and can be defeated, just like the greatest in all sports.

Need to look at the heavies and contenders, to see all the noob threads like "Fedor exposed" and the likes.

So at what point is it OK to talk openly about the result of a fight? If you haven't seen the fight yet, and you come log in to Sherdog, you're probably a moron and deserve to have the fight spoiled for you. This forum is for discussing MMA fights!

It looked like an armbar to me (ude hishigi sankaku gatame).

You made a good example TS, I would be absolutely shocked to see Roger Gracie tap to somebody in MMA or Bjj (or, to say the truth, I would be pretty upset even to see him getting ko'ed).

As I stated in another thread, the undefeated record of Fedor keep that mystic atmosphere over the sport and the character... and for that I feel a little sad, it's like an harsh comeback to reality.
But on the other hand in this case Bjj, the art I love, won, and I couldn't be more happy about it.

For Roger would be pretty much the same, but I surely would be way more sad to see him lose.

I was arguing with my team mates at open mat about this all day yesterday. Everyone talks about fedor like he's a god because he always comes out on top, but they always forget some of the horrible mistakes he made during the fight. Fedor is so great because he has the best mind for fighting and is unbelievably adaptable to every situation, but his technical skills aren't that great in certain areas.

I called Werdum to win this one and by the end of open mat actually convinced 2 others at my academy with the logic behind it. I said picture how you think this fights going to go based on previous opponents. look at their exact skills and attributes on paper without looking at their fight records.

Fedor gets a knockdown and frantically runs in to finish, opponent barely manages to recover. than fedor goes for some stupid attack and ends up in a sub attempt or on his back. Do you really think he'll manage to get up or get out against a grappler like Werdum???

On paper without looking at the records and only looking at analytical data of how each fights werdum is the most dangerous fighter Fedor has ever faced for his style. Stylistically Werdum matches up really bad for Fedor. we know Werdum can take abuse and recover well, he has good takedowns, great sweeps, even greater submissions, and a constantly active and dangerous guard.

I believe most people expected Fedor to be able to god his way out of any submission attempt or bad position because he's done it so many other times against other opponents, but none of them brought the exact combination of skills and attributes that Werdum brought. if they have a rematch I think it will go very similar, unless Fedor makes some massive changes.

With that said I don't think Werdum is the best at all. just one of the very few that possesed the right game to expose Fedor's weaknesses. I don't believe Werdum is capable of beating many of the fighters Fedor can. Also as sure as I as that Werdum would win I still turned down the many bets all my team-mates were throwing at me. I'm undefeated in betting on MMA fights, and a good way to stay that way is not bet against Fedor. No matter how bad i thought this fight was for him a small part of me expected him to come out on top.

I was arguing with my team mates at open mat about this all day yesterday. Everyone talks about fedor like he's a god because he always comes out on top, but they always forget some of the horrible mistakes he made during the fight. Fedor is so great because he has the best mind for fighting and is unbelievably adaptable to every situation, but his technical skills aren't that great in certain areas.

I called Werdum to win this one and by the end of open mat actually convinced 2 others at my academy with the logic behind it. I said picture how you think this fights going to go based on previous opponents. look at their exact skills and attributes on paper without looking at their fight records.

Fedor gets a knockdown and frantically runs in to finish, opponent barely manages to recover. than fedor goes for some stupid attack and ends up in a sub attempt or on his back. Do you really think he'll manage to get up or get out against a grappler like Werdum???

On paper without looking at the records and only looking at analytical data of how each fights werdum is the most dangerous fighter Fedor has ever faced for his style. Stylistically Werdum matches up really bad for Fedor. we know Werdum can take abuse and recover well, he has good takedowns, great sweeps, even greater submissions, and a constantly active and dangerous guard.

I believe most people expected Fedor to be able to god his way out of any submission attempt or bad position because he's done it so many other times against other opponents, but none of them brought the exact combination of skills and attributes that Werdum brought. if they have a rematch I think it will go very similar, unless Fedor makes some massive changes.

With that said I don't think Werdum is the best at all. just one of the very few that possesed the right game to expose Fedor's weaknesses. I don't believe Werdum is capable of beating many of the fighters Fedor can. Also as sure as I as that Werdum would win I still turned down the many bets all my team-mates were throwing at me. I'm undefeated in betting on MMA fights, and a good way to stay that way is not bet against Fedor. No matter how bad i thought this fight was for him a small part of me expected him to come out on top.

Stylistically and logically Fedor KO's Werdum badly.

Good post, but I disagree about the bolded statement. All Fedor would have to do is take a page from Anderson Silva's playbook, and let Werdum up off the ground instead of jumping into his guard after a knockdown. If Fedor refused to go to the ground, there really isn't much Werdum could do to him at all.

Exactly. Werdum is very similar to Nogueira, but Nogueira had an iron chin back in his Pride days.

It seems not. It's not like I took a wild ball park guess. I analyze fights while most people just watch.

Good post, but I disagree about the bolded statement. All Fedor would have to do is take a page from Anderson Silva's playbook, and let Werdum up off the ground instead of jumping into his guard after a knockdown. If Fedor refused to go to the ground, there really isn't much Werdum could do to him at all.

that's not how Fedor fights though. and now Werdum has a new found confidence in his guard.

Good point.

This is the same reason I think Werdum would beat Brock, and said so in a thread I made yesterday (BEFORE the fight). Brock would not be able to beat Werdum in a boxing match, and would have to go to the ground.

Werdum by whatever he wants.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/werdum-vs-lesner-1243143/

that's not how Fedor fights though.

People can make adjustments if it means ensuring a win.

besides, Werdum has a new found confidence in his guard, and can force Fedor there even though he probably can't get a takedown.

This would not work on Lesnar. If Brock had better stand up, I would rethink my take on the fight. But he doesn't.

So Werdum by armbar triangle to rolling awesomeplata off the top rope.

Good point.

This is the same reason I think Werdum would beat Brock, and said so in a thread I made yesterday (BEFORE the fight). Brock would not be able to beat Werdum in a boxing match, and would have to go to the ground.

Werdum by whatever he wants.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/werdum-vs-lesner-1243143/

It's possible, but I disagree. Much worse fight for Werdum than Fedor stylistically. a couple years ago? for sure, Werdum by submission no doubt, but not anymore. Brock seems to have adopted a very smothering and safe style of GnP

that's not how Fedor fights though. and now Werdum has a new found confidence in his guard.

I see what you mean, but if not diving into a guy's guard for a frantic finish is the difference between winning and losing for Fedor...he won't do it. Sure, he's a creature of habit, he has his preferred attack like everyone else, but he's no spring chicken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back