BJJ Scientists? anyone??

T

TapouTime

This is in reponse to the other thread about street fighting....
I think that fighting in the street is very dangerous and a risk that does not need to be taken by someone who is serious about fighting/grappling professionally... with that said some of us are BJJ scientists who are constantly thinking of new moves even when we shouldnt be and there is always the question in the back of my head....will this work in a real situation.. now im not saying that anyone who does BJJ should go beat down somone in the street, because its totally unfair advantage that we habe... but still i like to fight..thats what i live for..BJJ is a self defense before a sport, and im not saying that street fighting is where it belongs but i do find myself wondering if certain things work....for example, i started a fight with a guy who had 55 lbs on me, we rushed me knocked me over and i pulled guard he couldnt punch me i armbarred him on pavement and then mounted him and did the old GNP...now what i learned was that a armbar on the mat is much different on asphalt and ended up with a huge scrape on my head... now i know that a sweep will be less painful.. lesson learned..thats just me though a BJJ Scientist.. MD BITCHES, anyone else feel that way

TapouTime said:
now im not saying that anyone who does BJJ should go beat down somone in the street, because its totally unfair advantage that we habe...
<snip>
for example, i started a fight with a guy
Keep it in the cage or on the mat. Getting into fights with random people is not the way to behave and it sure doesn't like you were fighting because you were attacked.

Getting into random fights is a good way to get shot, stabbed or sent to prison.

To me it's a sport before self-defense. I HATE being called a martial artist. It shits me. I wish it was called "weird acrobatic arm-breaking fun" rather than "jiu-jitsu", then I would be able to stop explaining to people that I can't break boards, my chi flows incorrectly, and my mates would stop telling random people that their friend will do his jiu-jitsu on them if they're not careful.
:)

It will always be about self defense for me. That was its original purpose, and always should be. Thankfully, the amount you need to know to defend yourself in a street encounter is far less than it takes to win the mundials. The natural evolution is sport jiu-jitsu, which I love as well. The ability to recongonize the difference the two is paramount to success in either.

Getting into street fights is just gay in general. If you're not man enough to swallow your pride and walk away then, in a way, you deserve the knife in the belly or time behind bars you get. I will only street fight as a last resort, ie: backed into a corner. Besides, I can think of dozens of reasons to avoid street fighting....knives, guns, money hungry lawyers, etc. Can you think of as many supporting streetfighting for 'fun'?

No i totally agree with the fact that streetfighting is a very damgerous thing to do, its stupid, but foes anyone else wonder about testing their skills in real life situations..i just cant comprehend how anyone can not know jiu jitsu i would feel so hopless and lost

I doubt you're anything like a scientist, except insofar as you have a bad hairdo and short-sleeved white dress shirts. And you might lack social graces, and prefer petri dishes and test tubes to interacting with people. No, sir, I do not think you are a scientist. You lack the smarts. You, sir, are merely a ninny.

If you want to learn self defense then practice muay thai, boxing, and wrestling for the street. BJJ effectiveness is highly "situational" and you may be able to pull something off if the situation presents itself. In a bar or the street you are going to have a guy coming at you 100 miles an hour trying to take your head off and knock you down. BJJ will do you little good in this situation if the guy is fairly athletic and able bodied. You don't want to be on your back in the first place on the street. So you better learn how to: block punches, throw punches, control the clinch, dirty box, throw knees, muay thai clinch, wrestling/judo takedowns, etc etc etc. These techniques are the essense of the street fight for the most part. And the street/bar fight usually gets broken up after a minute or two anyway.

Best idea....avoid confrontation in the street or bar. Even if you win, it's almost always a losing proposition.

Fuck all that.

I'll walk away or pull out my gun.

Bjj is so totally sport orientated its not funny, the basics are all you would ever use in a fight situation, be it street or mma, the rest is learning tricky chokes and other bs to catch out other sport bjj dudes who havent been keeping up with the times, far too much low % fancy shit coming into it, like the entire open guard thing. I really cant see there being a place for open guard in mma or street.Thats where it stands today, a sport first and self defence second, much the same as some tae kwon do schools still advertise as self defence and fitness.

ClubberLange said:
To me it's a sport before self-defense. I HATE being called a martial artist. It shits me. I wish it was called "weird acrobatic arm-breaking fun" rather than "jiu-jitsu", then I would be able to stop explaining to people that I can't break boards, my chi flows incorrectly, and my mates would stop telling random people that their friend will do his jiu-jitsu on them if they're not careful.

Yeah i tell people i do jiu jitsu... and there like "yeah i used to do karate when i was a kid"

Or "my friend is a black belt in tae kwon do" "how many boards can you break?!?"

So i just tell them I do submission wrestling...

Oktavius said:
Bjj is so totally sport orientated its not funny, the basics are all you would ever use in a fight situation, be it street or mma, the rest is learning tricky chokes and other bs to catch out other sport bjj dudes who havent been keeping up with the times, far too much low % fancy shit coming into it, like the entire open guard thing. I really cant see there being a place for open guard in mma or street.Thats where it stands today, a sport first and self defence second, much the same as some tae kwon do schools still advertise as self defence and fitness.

no place for open guard in an mma fight? did you ever see alan goes fight?

tricky chokes like the anaconda, brabo, ezekiel dont work in mma? better let nog, shaolin, yoshida, etc know about that.

please shut the fuck up and get out of here. this forum has been flooded with bullshit about the efficacy of bjj in streetfighting situations.....no one fucking cares except people who dont train bjj/dont like the aesthetics of it/train another art like tjj and want to prove that its better. this should be a forbidden topic because its just fucking annoying. this is an mma site.....about mma.....and grappling (which includes bjj of course) as part of mma.....i and many others who train bjj/mma feel that its more than sufficient to use in a streetfight.....but guess what, MOST OF US DONT TRAIN BJJ FOR A FUCKING STREETFIGHT!!!!!!!! do you think we're fucking retarted? do you think we're gonna pull x-guard on the street? go home.

to the original poster:
and youre not scientist buddy....you're a tool...a box of tools....fucking home depot.....

Holy shit...

A sport v self defense thread about BJJ?

WOWOWOWWWIEEEE. Never thought a white belt would come up with such an innovative topic!

Quick question... maybe I'm missing something here, but what is the point of this thread?

whitebelt wanted to take a roll call for all the "scientists" out there.....then as always it digressed into "bjj is teh suck for tha streetz"

ClubberLange said:

No freakin joke dude..........

TapouTime said:
This is in reponse to the other thread about street fighting....
I think that fighting in the street is very dangerous and a risk that does not need to be taken by someone who is serious about fighting/grappling professionally... with that said some of us are BJJ scientists who are constantly thinking of new moves even when we shouldnt be and there is always the question in the back of my head....will this work in a real situation.. now im not saying that anyone who does BJJ should go beat down somone in the street, because its totally unfair advantage that we habe... but still i like to fight..thats what i live for..BJJ is a self defense before a sport, and im not saying that street fighting is where it belongs but i do find myself wondering if certain things work....for example, i started a fight with a guy who had 55 lbs on me, we rushed me knocked me over and i pulled guard he couldnt punch me i armbarred him on pavement and then mounted him and did the old GNP...now what i learned was that a armbar on the mat is much different on asphalt and ended up with a huge scrape on my head... now i know that a sweep will be less painful.. lesson learned..thats just me though a BJJ Scientist.. MD BITCHES, anyone else feel that way
only jerkoffs fight in the street. you are a savage and have no place in organized bjj

Back