BJJ prevailed last night

Congratulations Mikey - I'm sure Master would be proud - infact I'll post it to Facebook so he can see it if you like - let me know.

I was there and got to meet Mikey, an actual Sherdog legend, in person! lol
Super nice guy, hope we can train together sometime soon.

Congratulations guys.

Mikey Triangles, what were you going for when you had the guys leg while he was trying to slam and then escape? My video processing sucks and streaming video only plays jerky for me.

I ask because it kinda looked like you were trying to go for a star sweep. I've been having a ton of success with that as a counter to people standing to escape submissions.

Congratulations Mikey - I'm sure Master would be proud - infact I'll post it to Facebook so he can see it if you like - let me know.

Thanks Flapjack666, please send Master Mansor my best. If not for him I wouldn't be where I am today.

Congratulations guys.

Mikey Triangles, what were you going for when you had the guys leg while he was trying to slam and then escape? My video processing sucks and streaming video only plays jerky for me.

I ask because it kinda looked like you were trying to go for a star sweep. I've been having a ton of success with that as a counter to people standing to escape submissions.

I actually considered the star sweep, but I was worried he might land a hard shot in the transition. I felt it would be safer and easier just to wrap him in 50/50, but he fought out and backed away too quick.

Sick fights, nice transitions, ending with beautiful submissions. Are either of you Relson Gracie affiliates? Once in a while I get to go up and train with a Relson brown belt named Jeff Starr out of Mentor, Ohio.

Sick fights, nice transitions, ending with beautiful submissions. Are either of you Relson Gracie affiliates? Once in a while I get to go up and train with a Relson brown belt named Jeff Starr out of Mentor, Ohio.

Matt trains at Gracie 601, which is a Relson affiliate.
Mikey teaches for Remix MMA which is Alan Belcher's gym, but he has trained under Relson, Rhalan and Daniel Moraes I believe. Correct me if I am wrong Mikey.

There is a video of another one of our guys on that page named Ken Dubose. He actually has a ground game but hasn't had to use it yet.

Mikey teaches for Remix MMA which is Alan Belcher's gym, but he has trained under Relson, Rhalan and Daniel Moraes I believe. Correct me if I am wrong Mikey.

There is a video of another one of our guys on that page named Ken Dubose. He actually has a ground game but hasn't had to use it yet.

I am under Daniel Moraes for BJJ making me a Relson Gracie affiliate.

Mikey, do you train to shoot then push into the cage for the takedown, or is that just what happened?

Congrats on the wins, I saw Mikey's fight earlier today & I just got done watching Matt's. Matt seemed to be in a league of his own compared to his opponent on the ground. Even when Matt had his opponent up against the cage, the guy never fought for an underhook, he just kept squeezing down, like he was trying to pinch your elbows together.

Great job to the both of you.

He didn't need to? He actually secured the takedown with it.

Congrats both guys.

Mike your double looked kinda awkward. You were driving on the side towards your head. It looks like you were just trying to lift him instead of turning the corner. Was this a result of your injury also?

He didn't need to? He actually secured the takedown with it.

Congrats both guys.

Mike your double looked kinda awkward. You were driving on the side towards your head. It looks like you were just trying to lift him instead of turning the corner. Was this a result of your injury also?

Only a result of my injury in the sense that i was unable to really train shooting in properly with my head on the right. I always shoot with my doubles with my head on the left so i instinctively want to drive the wrong way when i switched it up. Because of my shoulder I only trained for this fight with takedowns from the clinch and shooting in with my head on the other side.

Takedowns are definitely the weakest area of my game. My opponent was also much stronger then me and was able to kind of control my direction a bit. Before my next fight I'll be working proper wrestling non-stop, along with a full-force strength and conditioning routine. Trust me when I say nobody is as embarrassed about my awkward wrestling as me; thats definitely at the top of my list of things i need to improve immediately.

Mike, do you change gyms every few months or something? Where are you living nowadays? Weren't you training under Cyborg or something fairly recently? Also, what belt are you at now?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. Everything that could be said has been said already. Both you guys looked like killers on the ground (although your double leg attempt was backwards).

Only a result of my injury in the sense that i was unable to really train shooting in properly with my head on the right. I always shoot with my doubles with my head on the left so i instinctively want to drive the wrong way when i switched it up. Because of my shoulder I only trained for this fight with takedowns from the clinch and shooting in with my head on the other side.

Takedowns are definitely the weakest area of my game. My opponent was also much stronger then me and was able to kind of control my direction a bit. Before my next fight I'll be working proper wrestling non-stop, along with a full-force strength and conditioning routine. Trust me when I say nobody is as embarrassed about my awkward wrestling as me; thats definitely at the top of my list of things i need to improve immediately.

Makes sense man. It's all good, you know your weakness and work on it. I used to consider myself pretty strong at takedowns but since I don't wrestle on a regular basis anymore, even drilling them I don't feel like I do they are good until drilling them quite a bit. I have seen someone knock themselves out by going to the wrong side, hence my concern.

Mike, do you change gyms every few months or something? Where are you living nowadays? Weren't you training under Cyborg or something fairly recently? Also, what belt are you at now?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. Everything that could be said has been said already. Both you guys looked like killers on the ground (although your double leg attempt was backwards).

I don't change gyms often, and have never done so by choice. I've been under Daniel Moraes since I moved to Jacksonville, and still am. Daniel got me this job teaching BJJ in Biloxi, Mississippi at Alan Belocher's gym; where I now reside. I was never under Cyborg, though I would like to go down there sometime and train with him. I've never actually been to Miami, so I'm not sure where that one came from.

The only times I changed gyms were when Kioto Port Jeff split up into Redboy, and I was literally living in the gym. Redboy then got under Scarola as their black belt. Then when I moved to Florida I couldn't train with Scarola anymore, so i wasn't really under anyone until i met Daniel Moraes who is my instructor in BJJ for the rest of my life; I actually consulted and cleared this with my original instructor Master Mansor. I travel back to Florida at least once a month to do private classes with him and Alan brings him out here for frequent seminars.

Aside from that; I'm working on my wrestling, haha. Double legs have always been one of my worst takedowns, and the fact that I was trying to do it the opposite way I normally would didn't help matters. I was just glad he went down.

Last edited:

I'll be on the look out for that video, thanks. Relson, Rhalan, and Moraes? Thats some top notch instruction if you ask me. It shows.

Back