BJJ prevailed last night

I don't change gyms often, and have never done so by choice. I've been under Daniel Moraes since I moved to Jacksonville, and still am. Daniel got me this job teaching BJJ in Biloxi, Mississippi at Alan Belocher's gym; where I now reside. I was never under Cyborg, though I would like to go down there sometime and train with him. I've never actually been to Miami, so I'm not sure where that one came from.

The only times I changed gyms were when Kioto Port Jeff split up into Redboy, and I was literally living in the gym. Redboy then got under Scarola as their black belt. Then when I moved to Florida I couldn't train with Scarola anymore, so i wasn't really under anyone until i met Daniel Moraes who is my instructor in BJJ for the rest of my life; I actually consulted and cleared this with my original instructor Master Mansor. I travel back to Florida at least once a month to do private classes with him and Alan brings him out here for frequent seminars.

Aside from that; I'm working on my wrestling, haha. Double legs have always been one of my worst takedowns, and the fact that I was trying to do it the opposite way I normally would didn't help matters. I was just glad he went down.

Man I'm getting people mixed up. Maybe it's the Florida thing.

Wasn't trying to be too hard on the wrestling, with your injury and all. As a former wrestler, it's just one of those things that are so basic that I constantly correct people on where I train.

Are you a brown yet?

Man I'm getting people mixed up. Maybe it's the Florida thing.

Wasn't trying to be too hard on the wrestling, with your injury and all. As a former wrestler, it's just one of those things that are so basic that I constantly correct people on where I train.

Are you a brown yet?

sadly, i also wrestled for years as a kid and can only shoot-in even half-decent on one side. It really screwed me up when Alan had me shooting with my head outside the lead leg, and with the injury I couldn't really practice it right. and I'm still a purple belt.

Mikey, great job! You dominated that fight even with a hurt shoulder! That's insane you took a fight at 155 on so short notice. What's your record now?

Matt, beautiful transition to the armbar then the triangle! Great job man!

I actually considered the star sweep, but I was worried he might land a hard shot in the transition. I felt it would be safer and easier just to wrap him in 50/50, but he fought out and backed away too quick.

I hear that. The games definitely a lot different with someone hitting you in the face I'm sure.

I've been running it through my head int he context of mma though, and I think you'd actually be pretty safe. Your heads gonna be glued to the outside of their leg, so I don't think they could get off a punch with any real power to it. The split second where you don't see your opponent would be scary, but I think by that time your angle would already be extreme enough to keep you safe.

Makes me wanna go to mma class more to do gnp drills and test it out.

Back