bjj/judokas are on average more intelligent than boxers

So...

A = Boxers: less intelligent and/or poorer

B = BJJers: more intelligent and/or richer

A + B = C: threadstarter: Boxer and BJJer

Congratulations, I think your theory proves that you must be rich.

What I don't understand (it must be the brain damage from boxing) is why this has hit a nerve and why you seem offended by my observations.

They are just observations, I haven't stated any theory (I don't want to get into the semantics of what the definition of a theory is), its only what I have seen from my experiences.

I don't know if its the same in the US or where ever you live, but my experiences have been from training in the UK.

If I had said some thing like 'bjj/judo/grappling is gay' or 'all mma is fixed' (it sort of annoys me when my wrestler colleague keeps stating that after observing one fight), I would understand why you would be offended but I believe your instults are unwarranted.

Were you sparring with these guys or solving nonlinear equations with them? How are you coming to the conclusion that boxers are not as smart as BJJers? What is your intelligence measuring methodology?

someone you roll w blinging out his gi
Lmao!!

I got to agree though. But its cause its normally troubled kids who start boxing mostly for protection, then end up competing.

So...

A = Boxers: less intelligent and/or poorer

B = BJJers: more intelligent and/or richer

A + B = C: threadstarter: Boxer and BJJer

Congratulations, I think your theory proves that you must be rich.

Is the threadstarter dumber than a BJJer or smarter than a boxer?

Were you sparring with these guys or solving nonlinear equations with them? How are you coming to the conclusion that boxers are not as smart as BJJers? What is your intelligence measuring methodology?

Its mainly a general impression. Im usually too busy drilling technique or sparring to calculate the specific IQ of those around me. Neurophysiology is my particular speciality (i previously worked as a clinical neurophysiologist), not psychology. I could conduct a study correlating EEGs and PET scans to the performance the boxers or bjj/judokas performance on an IQ test performed by a neuropsychologist.

If you were to come to the conclusion that one road is usually more busy at a certain time than another, you would normally just use your pervious experiences of driving down that road. I find it doubtfull that you would calculate exactly how many cars are driving through that particular road compared to some other road.

I can't believe ive been brought down to writing this drivel when I could be discussing different bjj techniques etc

You remind me of those guys who have just gone to university to do a philosophy course. Their first lecture will be on Descarte or Wittgenstein (can't spell his name) and then will try to convince you that the sandwhich you are eating doesn't exist or that you can't prove it exists.

Or will try to correct another posters grammar and spelling rather than just discuss the topic they are actually discussing.

ozabbas,
why are you being such an english snob? I mean come on, not all of us were raised with a diamon studded platinum spoon in our mouth by a posh daddy. :p heheheh

Wow, sweet thread.

Reminds me of a line from PCU: "... you can major in Gameboy if you know how to bullshit."

The English snob persona only comes out when talking to non-English people, its mainly to show our natural superiority and more importantly, it helps with chattin up birds (god I found it funny when a Canadian took that literally).

When talking to other British people, the cockney accent will surface again.

Also, do you remember the expression 'the pot calling the kettle black'(this applies mainly to blanko).

well... considering it's only march and i haven't had my tan yet... you are still the darker one :p

well... considering it's only march and i haven't had my tan yet... you are still the darker one :p

lol, nice.

Another observation for the rest of you guys, people who like XBOX generally prefer FPS than people who like PS3.

What kind of doctor, lawyer, or business exec wants to get punched in the head? Probably not too many. But people do bjj because it isn't hard on your body (for the most part), its good self defense, and its good cardio. Its fun to learn and doesn't involve really getting beaten up in the process.

My friend was talking about how all the good boxing gyms are inner city. Most of the people in them are not all that well off. Bjj, on the other hand is a rich man's sport. It costs money for gi's and usually costs a lot more than a boxing gym.

What kind of doctor, lawyer, or business exec wants to get punched in the head? Probably not too many. But people do bjj because it isn't hard on your body (for the most part), its good self defense, and its good cardio. Its fun to learn and doesn't involve really getting beaten up in the process.

My friend was talking about how all the good boxing gyms are inner city. Most of the people in them are not all that well off. Bjj, on the other hand is a rich man's sport. It costs money for gi's and usually costs a lot more than a boxing gym.

I agree with the first part, though curiously enough I know of two dentists who used to do judo but gave up because it was too hard on their hands (especially the grip fighting).

The second part I agree with except for the implication that money is related to intelligence, at least among kids (who are far and away the most common age group in a boxing gym). You can have poor parents and turn out to be very intelligent indeed ... more than a few geniuses have come from very humble circumstances.

Just a personal observation from having done both boxing and bjj. BJJ guys also tend to be richer.

I'd say most Brazilians are less rich than even the poorest of inner-city boxers in America, in terms of relative wealth.

I'd say most Brazilians are less rich than even the poorest of inner-city boxers in America, in terms of relative wealth.

I believe your right but if you look at the history of bjj, you will see that many people practicing from the beginning where rich people or the sons/daughters of rich people. In the past it was bank managers, doctors etc who were sending their kids to train in bjj.

As to now, I don't know how much bjj costs at an average bjj school in Brazil. Im guessing that its probably more open now to other segments of the Brazilian society.

this is my first post in the grappling forum...

and this thread sucks.

ozyabbas:

I understand you are not a troll, and have seen other quality posts you have made in other threads, so with all do civility: this is a very poor thread and thread title.

I'm not sure what responses you expected to illicit.

Perhaps in the UK you have a deeply entrenched sense of class division, and it is common to say "cricketeers are smarter than rugby players" or to assess one's intelligence based on local accent or family name, but in the 21st century this shit doesn't really fly.

We no longer judge mental capacity by chosen profession, sport, hobby, tax bracket, religion, ethnicity, nationality, appearance, or other superficial means. It smacks of the colonialist quasi-anthropologist who finds the native tribes dim-witted, backwards, and intellectually inferior to the average English schoolchild. Perhaps you boxed in a gym full of idiots, and trained BJJ with a room full of Rhodes scholars, but this is not enough to make sweeping generalizations on the intellect of all who participate in said activities.

I think you genuinely don't know why anyone would be annoyed by the statement, and I'm not sure you ever will, but this is wasteland material. You did admit that in the stand-up forum they would be insulted. That's because it is insulting. As the above poster stated: "this thread sucks."

Like spotting cellulite on your girlfriend's ass, some observations are better kept to yourself. This thread lessens the grappling forum. I've seen your other posts. I know you can do better.

Peace

ozyabbas:

I understand you are not a troll, and have seen other quality posts you have made in other threads, so with all do civility: this is a very poor thread and thread title.

I'm not sure what responses you expected to illicit.

Perhaps in the UK you have a deeply entrenched sense of class division, and it is common to say "cricketeers are smarter than rugby players" or to assess one's intelligence based on local accent or family name, but in the 21st century this shit doesn't really fly.

We no longer judge mental capacity by chosen profession, sport, hobby, tax bracket, religion, ethnicity, nationality, appearance, or other superficial means. It smacks of the colonialist quasi-anthropologist who finds the native tribes dim-witted, backwards, and intellectually inferior to the average English schoolchild. Perhaps you boxed in a gym full of idiots, and trained BJJ with a room full of Rhodes scholars, but this is not enough to make sweeping generalizations on the intellect of all who participate in said activities.

I think you genuinely don't know why anyone would be annoyed by the statement, and I'm not sure you ever will, but this is wasteland material. You did admit that in the stand-up forum they would be insulted. That's because it is insulting. As the above poster stated: "this thread sucks."

Like spotting cellulite on your girlfriend's ass, some observations are better kept to yourself. This thread lessens the grappling forum. I've seen your other posts. I know you can do better.

Peace

To be honest many of your points are correct. I do regret starting this thread, although I did find it intriging why so many people would view this thread compared to some other more worthy threads.

I was disappointed that more people didn't reply to my more legitamate threads, particularly the one about the bjj styles. Were as this thread is mere social commentary which won't improve my or anyone elses jiu jitsu.

So guilty as charged.

To be honest many of your points are correct. I do regret starting this thread, although I did find it intriging why so many people would view this thread compared to some other more worthy threads.

I was disappointed that more people didn't reply to my more legitamate threads, particularly the one about the bjj styles. Were as this thread is mere social commentary which won't improve my or anyone elses jiu jitsu.

So guilty as charged.

It's cool man. I appreciate your honesty. The internet is a weird place like that: the cream doesn't always rise and the crap rarely seems to flush. Entertainment has more value than information, and we all write stuff we regret from time to time. Let's get back to the grappling. Train hard.

Back