bjj/judokas are on average more intelligent than boxers

ozyabbas

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just a personal observation from having done both boxing and bjj. BJJ guys also tend to be richer.

Remember, I said on AVERAGE. You get exceptions to the rule.

what brought about this obsrvation

someone you roll w blinging out his gi

You haven't met me yet. I'll even out that average for you ......

even if that was 'true' what would it matter?

I think he means that guys who train BJJ have the means to do so,boxers usually come from a poor childhood with a lack of education!

Adam Bunker hit the nail on the head.

I think part of the problem is the cost of bjj being so high. I think a part of that is due to the lack of instructors. Teaching bjj isn't easy and it takes a long time to become proficient enough to teach it. These bjj instructors can charge whatever price they want, especially big name instructors such as Roger Gracie or Renzo Gracie accadamies (im not saying there is anything bad about them, they are just expensive).

In Brazil or perhaps America, there are far more black belts so the cost of instruction isn't so high.

In England it is far more expensive due to the lack of high level instructors. Then again many instructors in England don't really plan to make a profit on it. They create accadamies because they love bjj so much. They have to charge high prices because it is expensive to rent a place to train in so they need to break even.

I think part of the problem is the cost of bjj being so high. I think a part of that is due to the lack of instructors. Teaching bjj isn't easy and it takes a long time to become proficient enough to teach it. These bjj instructors can charge whatever price they want, especially big name instructors such as Roger Gracie or Renzo Gracie accadamies (im not saying there is anything bad about them, they are just expensive).

Not true. people, lots of people, dont realize alot of boxing gyms are subsidized with programs for kids, local associations, or in some cases programs with USA boxing. If a boxing gym isnt getting that free cheddar (and alot of the newere ones are run more for profit) and if you actually have a trainer while you are inside the boxing gym the rates are ALOT different in many cases.

To just pay rent and keep a place open to me the rates should start at 80-100 bucks a month. World champs at anything or big names will make/take more and higher rent in urban areas is a bigger factor in price than availability.

If you go to a boxing gym that isnt propped up by outside funding, you may not think they are so cheap any more.

more intelligent or better off?

those are two different things.

In Brazil or perhaps America, there are far more black belts so the cost of instruction isn't so high.

In England it is far more expensive due to the lack of high level instructors. Then again many instructors in England don't really plan to make a profit on it. They create accadamies because they love bjj so much. They have to charge high prices because it is expensive to rent a place to train in so they need to break even.

I don't think I have heard an excuse yet that justifies the ridiculous prices I see charged for BJJ training. You can go train at the Kodokan itself for $14500 yen and I know there are places in America where you can train with Shichidan for a fraction of the cost that you can train with a BJJ blackbelt.

I don't think I have heard an excuse yet that justifies the ridiculous prices I see charged for BJJ training. You can go train at the Kodokan itself for $14500 yen and I know there are places in America where you can train with hachidan for a fraction of the cost that you can train with a BJJ blackbelt.

Actually I think its pretty nice that folks can make a living teaching BJJ. I know a lot of high level judoka who think it'd be nice if they could do the same with judo. Judo however is already firmly established as a volunteer sport (there are exceptions, but its rare), but BJJ is starting out fresh. Moreover, some clubs will help out people with financial difficulties.

I don't agree with the thread starter or these last two post. First, the thread starter is just making a value statement with no factual evidence. Smarties McFlurries are smarter on AVERAGE then Oreo ones. The statement has no substance.

BJJ and Boxing have been known to be positive outlets for troubled and poor kids in both their respected localities. (Adam's post) Quite a few BJJ BB that teach both in Brazil and around the world began as troubled youth who gained a life skill which they've been able to export and making a living off of.

Which brings me to the other poster i've quoted above. Access and the number of instructors can be related to cost of BJJ and hence limit the number of people who can access the sport. However, it is over-determined to point this out as the exclusive cause of high cost for classes lets say in NYC. What about cost of living, property value/rent cost, the average person's income and all these other economic factors. Sorry if i'm getting all boom, bust, & echo on this thread.

^^^^
i think the thread starter is right.

People who do boxing sparring everyday for 10 years WILL have varying levels of brain damage.

People who do BJJ sparring everyday for 10 years shouldn't suffer from brain damage.

Therefore boxers in average have brain damage, or don't care about getting some. The latter doesn't suggest superior brain development.

^^^^

People who do boxing sparring everyday for 10 years WILL have varying levels of brain damage.

People who do BJJ sparring everyday for 10 years shouldn't suffer from brain damage.

Therefore boxers in average have brain damage, or don't care about getting some. The latter doesn't suggest superior brain development.

Bwahahaha. What about getting choked out constantly? :icon_chee

And I think people who seem to have ZERO idea as to what goes on in boxing gyms should probably go into a couple before they post an opinion. people dont spar everyday silly.

Just a personal observation from having done both boxing and bjj. BJJ guys also tend to be richer.

Remember, I said on AVERAGE. You get exceptions to the rule.

I think you are on average a moron. You should really start this same thread in the stand-up forum (maybe one of the mods can move it?). Debate it with KK and the boys, I'd like to see how it turns out...

Why should I have to debate what my PERSONAL observations are with anyone. My observations are specific to me and what I have seen. You haven't been to the gyms I have been to or met the people I have met.

I wouldn't post this on the standup forum because most of those people will assume my intention is to insult them and to specifically start an argument.

Please refrain from insults, save that for the senseless, juvenile bjj vs judo debates on youtube.

Back