1. Season 7 of the International Shoop League is now active! Section A » Section B »

BJJ Judo throws

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MMAFAN05, Jan 2, 2006.

1. MMAFAN05

MMAFAN05 Orange Belt

I have just started BJJ, and have read a lot on the history of BJJ, and I have a question. Count Koma (Maeda) was a judo master who taught Carlos how to fight. Where are all the Judo throws, that he must have taught Carlos? One thing you hear a lot is BJJ is weak on throws, or even takedowns. Did Maeda teach throws to Carlos, and if so, where did they go? I expect to get flamed and told use the search function, but this is something I wondered for a while now. :redface:

2. blanko

blanko Guest

Koma realized the importance of groundwork during his "challenge match" days. Also, BJJ IS weaker in throws in GENERAL compared to judo. WHy? You think about the ammount of time a good takedown bjj school spends on takedowns... I would say 25~30% TOPS. While Judo is prob the opposite.

3. dpo628

dpo628 Yellow Belt

some of the throws in BJJ are just like Judo. But its like Blanko said, BJJ spends way more time on the ground while Judo spends more time on there feet. Hence, in general, Judo has better takedowns. Buts thats the reason for crosstraing :D

4. DirectDrive

DirectDrive Black Belt

this thred is just a couple steps away from the traditional bjj vs. judo thread.

the reality is whatever maeda taught carlos was not that close to what we see in judo or jiu jitsu today.
    maeda. as these arts have been refiend they have been refined with different long term goals and they have grown into their own things.

5. Resident A-hole

Resident A-hole Orange Belt

In judo a clean throw ends the match. In BJJ, it's just the first step in getting to groundwork. Thats the reason there is little focus on throws in BJJ. Why risk exposing your back or giving up position if you can't win with it? We have never worked throws in my BJJ school

6. Thalion

Thalion Green Belt

In Japan in the past said A true Judo champion should be "Tade Yoshi, Nede Mata Tsuyo Shi." which means Tachi waza is excellent, Newaza is even better.

7. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Green Belt

At Renzo's we work on throws and takedowns just about every single class.

It's possible that they may be weak in comparison to Judo's ( I wouldn't know) but they seem to work pretty well. Taking down an opponent is the first step to getting them to the ground, so they are very important.

8. scorcho

scorcho Brown Belt

I do TJJ and have gone to BJJ classes before as well. I am a brown belt and can usually throw even BJJ blacks around the mat standing. Ne waza or ground fighting is totally different though - I can hang with blues, but everyone else is just too good.

9. Tri-StateTerror

Tri-StateTerror Blue Belt

Well in my school over here in jersey we work on a number of throws and takedowns most either judo throws or Greco roman takedowns, BJJ is always evolving to be better SOOO yeah i think places realise they may have to incorporate some more efficient takedowns into their curriculum.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Green Belt

I used to do Judo For Awhile when I was Younger....And When I went to the mixed Club to train there was a Judo/Sambo guy and if it werent for him teaching me Judo Throws and takedowns along with the sambo leglocks I would have been killed quicker with other grapplers....What I like about the Judo Throws in BJJ most BJJ guys dont Expect it

11. Delbjj

Delbjj Green Belt

What black belts do you speak of? Every one I have encountered has good standup

12. loksxronin

loksxronin Blue Belt

thats because maede taught kosen judo to the brazilians, kosen judo is an offshoot of judo which focuses almost entirely on groundwork, so its almost exactly the same thing as bjj, just without the new focuz on leg/anklelocks infiltrating from sambo, which has really only happened in the last 10 years or so.

13. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

There are a lot of judo throws that will complement any bjj player's game.

14. blanko

blanko Guest

actually from what I have seen, Sambo throws fit better with bjj than judo throws. Sambo throws are more "ruggid" and IMHO transisiton better with BJJ groundwork.

15. Cojofl

Cojofl Brown Belt

What is the difference between Sambo throws and Russian style judo throws ?

16. Ude_Garami

Ude_Garami Guest

Spoken like someone who does not know what they are talking about

17. fozzit

fozzit Guapo Mestiso

Alot of europeans especially from former soviet union countries cross train sambo..

18. blanko

blanko Guest

Sambo is a Soviet Style of grappling that combines judo with various forms of wrestling.

19. blanko

blanko Guest

Ude_Garami,
    What an informing reply....

20. RickoOodlez

RickoOodlez Banned Banned

Nice read.