BJJ GI - Questions

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I didn't put this in the equipment section because I thought I would get a better response here. I am 6' 200lbs. I have a light frame, but am fat around the midsection. I got the size 6. I have washed it once with warm water, and the pants are still way too big. The jacket is almost where I need it.

I am currently washing it one more time and am going to dry the pants 15 minutes at a time.

How should the gi fit me? How far above the foot should the pants go and how far above the wrists should it go?

b0b said:
I didn't put this in the equipment section because I thought I would get a better response here. I am 6' 200lbs. I have a light frame, but am fat around the midsection. I got the size 6. I have washed it once with warm water, and the pants are still way too big. The jacket is almost where I need it.

I am currently washing it one more time and am going to dry the pants 15 minutes at a time.

How should the gi fit me? How far above the foot should the pants go and how far above the wrists should it go?

Hey now....

b0b said:
Most people are not walking around in durable bath robes. Even with windbreakers and jackets, you will not be able to get a good grib, and even if you did, the sleeves would probably just rip anyways. I would rather learn how to get good positioning without gripping anything that using the gi as a crutch.

Change of heart?

No, I have Judo/BJJ 1-2 times a week. The rest is no-gi.

Gi should fit: 1-2 inches above wrist.1-2inches above the ankle, imo. It should be snug in the shoulder after washing it in hot water and drying by machine.

Try washing pants in hot water then machine dry. If they are still too big after this you may need a size 5 pants.

So you walk around with a crutch for 1-2days a week?

Interesting. I would have thought that you skip those classes.

Do you still believe sleeves rip off windbreakers and jackets when you pull on them?

Dedicado said:
Gi should fit: 1-2 inches above wrist.1-2inches above the ankle, imo. It should be snug in the shoulder after washing it in hot water and drying by machine.

Try washing pants in hot water then machine dry. If they are still too big after this you may need a size 5 pants.

Thanks. Will do. I will hemn them if they are too big finally.

Also, how do I tie the damn pants?

Most usually have the two strings at your hips, you just loop them through the front (or back with some gis) loop and tie it.

Alrighty, I figured that much out, I just didnt know which was the front and which was the back (HCK).

Oh yeah heh I had the same problem, I didn't know which was the front! But yeah, make sure the tag that says HCK-Howard Combat Kimonos that is on your thigh is on the front.

this is off topic but I didn't want to start a whole thread to ask this. I just started training and I am getting ready to buy my first gi. What is the difference between the bleached and unbleached white gi's? Is it simply one is brighter?

triggertap79 said:
this is off topic but I didn't want to start a whole thread to ask this. I just started training and I am getting ready to buy my first gi. What is the difference between the bleached and unbleached white gi's? Is it simply one is brighter?

The unbleached gi is cheaper and has an off white color.

The bleached gi is more expensive and is pure white.

I would buy the unbleached gi because the fabric is probably stronger since it is unbleached. It is also cheaper and typically has less frills (something I think is desirable in a martial arts uniform).

Balto said:
The unbleached gi is cheaper and has an off white color.

The bleached gi is more expensive and is pure white.

I would buy the unbleached gi because the fabric is probably stronger since it is unbleached. It is also cheaper and typically has less frills (something I think is desirable in a martial arts uniform).

thanks

The unbleached is really tan. I didn't think it was this brown. Oh well...

im 6'2 215 and a little chubby and i wear an A3... you bought too big of a gi.... that is all.

I can wear an unwashed A2 and its still legal.

I have an A4 and it fits ok but its a little big in the mid section and the pants were to my heals.

b0b said:
Also, how do I tie the damn pants?
LOL tie them in the front. THose two belt loops go in the front.. pull the strings out to the side till its tight then thread them through the loops.. Tie a knot and stuff it all in your pants

b0b said:
The unbleached is really tan. I didn't think it was this brown. Oh well...

Yeah, I thought about going unbleached. But I don't want a tan gi. Went with a Toraki that ended up being much too big. I found a washing routine that should get most of the shrinkage out (Toraki gis are supposed to be line dry only, but I needed to try and shrink that bad boy):

1. Soak 2 hours in cold water
2. Wash in hot water with lots of soap
3. Machine dry until collar is hot at its thickest part
4. Wash in cold water with normal amount of soap
5. Machine dry.

Again, you're not supposed to do that with a Toraki gi. But I was desperate to shrink it.

I got the jacket down to a decent size (still too long in the front, though the sleeves were okay) But the pants were still much too big. Fortunately, I think I'll be able to swap the whole gi with one from one of our instructors (who got one that was too small).

Back