BJJ for real self defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMAFAN05

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this question, but is BJJ really practical for self defense? I know BJJ would be effective against a drunk, or someone who doesn't know jack about fighting, but I imagine rolling on the mat is different than rolling in the street, against someone who knows some fighting such as wrestling or any other skill. The mat is soft, and in the street you can be rolling on stones or anything. Can BJJ be practical for self defense? Also what should I look for in a BJJ school, how can I tell the difference between "sport" BJJ and BJJ that is more realistic. Thanks in advance.

No, it's entirely useless being able to defend yourself if tackled or knocked down, to escape when someone's on top of you, to be able to take someone else to the ground, to be able to establish superior positions allowing you to smash their head through the pavement, choke them unconcious or break their limbs. These skills have no "street" value.

Some will say its the greatest fighting art alive seeing as it was based from street fighting. It only sucks against multiple attackers unless your cool enough to be able to do a flying triangle then side choke someone else. Replace the locks and chokes with punches and by learning how to obtain superior positions and escape inferior ones you should be able to defend yourself.

Put someone in a Rear naked chaoke on the street then ask this question again

Yes it is practical. You don't even have to go for submissions, all you have to do is obtain mount/knee-on-belly and just start punching the guy, and there is no reason why he should be able to get out from under you if you are any good.

someone post pictures of beautiful women to save this thread please

Plus wearing a GI on the street kind of looks dumb.

I guess for me anything is useful. BJJ is not only about ground techniques and submissions but stand up defense and attacks. But IF the fight somehow ends on the ground a little know how can come in useful. But it could really be anything, bjj, pancrase, sambo, wresling, judo.

Just don't fight in the first place. Leave, be a tattle tale. Tell the bouncers some guys are giving you trouble. Call the cops.

But if you absolutely have no choice knowledge is power. Bjj got a lot of skils and information. Practice makes perfect.

Judo is more valuable than BJJ in a street fight, however Krav Maga is better than both. A semi automatic handgun will beat them all.

Superbeast said:
Judo is more valuable than BJJ in a street fight, however Krav Maga is better than both. A semi automatic handgun will beat them all.

STFU!!!

I'd rather not go to the ground in a street fight. You will get stomped on. I'd rather throw them and break their collar bone and dislocate their shoulder. Even better, I'd prefer to not engage in close combat and risk getting stabbed and rip their ear off after poking them in the eyes and kicking them in the balls. However a gun will generally cause anyone to back off.

If you think pulling guard and getting your head slammed against the concrete is a good idea, by all means do so. It will mean I won't have to suffer newb pissbelts like yourself with no clue who spam my fucking forum with four letter posts because they are unable to construct an actual sentence without risking an aneurysm. If you think a gun is nothing to worry about, you are either crazy or bullet proof. Most subs leave you open for being stomped on, unless you are a KO king trying to fight someone standing will lead to their buddies circling you and beating the shit out of you. You throw a few guys and mess them up so they are winded or suffering broken bones, they are a lot less likely to pop back up. You fight dirty and cause a guy to start crying and wailing, his friends are more likely to focus on him while you sprint for safety.

Superbeast is right.

BJJ is certainly useful for self-defense. However, it tends to focus a little too heavily on groundwork at the expense of takedowns and throws. It also generally doesn't include enough striking. BJJ doesn't really address the issues of weapons or multiple attackers either.

BJJ is a great art to help with self-defense, but is not sufficient in and of itself.

Who the hell said BJJ is going to the ground? There are throws, elbows, kneekicks, stomps, headbutts..... you go to the ground when YOU FUCKING CAN, not EVERY TIME.

But you probably train at a pussy competition oriented school

I can see a bjjer pulling gaurd on a top wrestler but not with a non grappler. Just because you do bjj doesn't mean you forget how to fight and I'd bet in 'most' street confrontations a good bjjer would get the takedown and top position.

VagabondMusashi said:
Who the hell said BJJ is going to the ground? There are throws, elbows, kneekicks, stomps, headbutts..... you go to the ground when YOU FUCKING CAN, not EVERY TIME.

But you probably train at a pussy competition oriented school

agreed this pulling guard is not what i learned from BJJ, that is what bjj do when fighting better strikers that they can't take down, but on the street a bjjer whould clinch take down and choke. how do you get stomped by doing a choke? If its Judo you better be a black belt cause below that and its limited. no striking, so much focus on throws, so less subs, all that and giving up your back.

I rahther do Judo..

Judon't know that I got a gun.. muahahahahar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back