BJJ along with Vegitarians

BJJ_Defib

White Belt
Reaction score
I am sixteen and just started taking BJJ. I have been tossing around the idea of being a Vegetarian for a couple months. Is this a good idea.

Thanks
Keith

Some people respond better than others. Try it out

Don't be surprised if you gain a lot of weight from eating carbs all the time.

For a couple months? And why? Obviously not for ethical reasons/you not liking meat, and being vegetarian isn't inherently healthy...so yeah. Why?

Read the stickies and get back to us.

^fear of the dark,fear of the dark,i have a phobia that somethings always there

No you should not cut meat entirely out of your diet. You need the meats for the training that you are doing. If you want to eliminate fatty meats, and even pork that would be the way to go. Especially in the beginning when you are getting used to the sport you are going to need all the energy you can get. After you become more advanced you will understand your body better, and you can play with the idea of your diet a little more freely.

Why do people always have to ask why? If it were simply for knowledge it'd be one thing, but that question inevitably leads to the macho man versus girly man crap and some genius spewing some made up national geographic-esque garbage about canine teeth. :rolleyes:

Just be and let be. Now that I have that outta the way...

I'm a veg so I have a different perspective for ya. I'll start by saying in hindsight, I would have made simple dietary adjustments rather than completely omit all meats from my diet. Make sure this something you really want to do, or else your just giving yourself unnecessary hassles. These are all my personal opinions to take it how you want.

First off I'd say for any serious athlete absolutely NEEDS animal protein. That means no veganism. I tried it and failed horribly. If you can work it more power to you. I need either eggs or dairy everyday or I know i'll be behind.

Second, the majority of vegetarian fad foods are tailor built for Soccer moms and power walkers. Tofurkey, "Smart Foods", Morningstar, etc. Basically anything amoung those lines. Most generic diet plans for vegs give you just enough protein to...not die, never taking into account all the extra protein a serious athlete would need.

That said, the quick stuffs "made" for vegs are usually crap and need to be avoided. Bottom line: make your own food as much as possible. Try making stuff, fail, try some more and soon your creations might be edible.

Next, all the overused soy products like soy burgers, soy milk, soy "whatever" etc need to be avoided. Eat straight tofu sparingly. I'm talking twice a month at the most.

Corn, rice, and beans combine to create complete proteins. Combining them in a single dish isn't always necessary. Eating one of these a day is sufficient as they'll combine later. Still, some good ol chili or red beans and rice make for some fine eatin.

As you can see, things can get supremely complicated really quickly. Before I write a book for no reason, i'll stop there. If you decide to go veg, I'll write more as needed.

Bottom Line: If you're not up to brainstorming every freaking thing you put into your mouth and reading ingredients labels, and going out of your way to ask for the "special" menu, don't do it.

Or if you're too weak of will to keep to a regimen, and feel some how diminished but not having that rack of lamb, or not creative enough to make an edible lunch, or not educated enough to know what nutrients your body is missing out on by omitting meat don't do it.

Basically, eating meat is easier. Like all other aspects of life, being an active healthy veg takes work. If you're not up to the life style, don't do it.

Cheers :cool:

I was asking why only because he said "a couple months." If he was saying, I want to become a vegetarian, that's different. But he wants to do it for a specific seemingly random time. I almost never eat meat unless I'm trying to cut down on carbs, and sometimes refer to myself as a vegetarian just so I don't have to explain myself, so I certainly have nothing against it, I just thought his approach was odd

Personally duno why you would want to become a veggy. But thats just me i love my meat.

So i say no + animal protein is dam important for training. Drinking loads protein shakes doesnt make your stomach feel good.

Going Vegan if done right is the best thing you can do for yourself and training. The protein issuse is one of the most riduculous things ever. If your getting enough calories your going to be getting over 100 grams of protein. There is absolutely no nutriant that you get from meat that you can't get from a veggie source.

Why do people always have to ask why? If it were simply for knowledge it'd be one thing, but that question inevitably leads to the macho man versus girly man crap and some genius spewing some made up national geographic-esque garbage about canine teeth.

It'd be incisors, not canines. If you're going to attempt to deter thoughts on evolution, at least do so correctly.

And "why" would actually foster foundation for asserting a person's mindset going into something completely foreign to them. They may have a food allergy, they may have a ****bolic medical condition, they may be entirely misguided into thinking something is healthier that isn't. "Why" is a perfectly valid question that absolutely should be asked and answered.

King Kabuki said it better than I did, because I am an idiot and I think I misread the thread. Self-pwn'ed

Going Vegan if done right is the best thing you can do for yourself and training. The protein issuse is one of the most riduculous things ever. If your getting enough calories your going to be getting over 100 grams of protein. There is absolutely no nutriant that you get from meat that you can't get from a veggie source.

You're the guy that downs about a half pound of hemp protein powder every day, right?

It'd be incisors, not canines. If you're going to attempt to deter thoughts on evolution, at least do so correctly.

And "why" would actually foster foundation for asserting a person's mindset going into something completely foreign to them. They may have a food allergy, they may have a ****bolic medical condition, they may be entirely misguided into thinking something is healthier that isn't. "Why" is a perfectly valid question that absolutely should be asked and answered.

I'll admit i'm no dentist so...:redface: My bad.

The responses in this thread are the reason for my sentiments:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=562928&page=3

I agree, this is a forum so asking why encourages discussion, the reason we've all here. My comment on teeth meant nothing towards the Great Evolution Debate

You're the guy that downs about a half pound of hemp protein powder every day, right?

Depends on the day and what else i'm eatting. Better to down half pound of that than pounds of meat that takes 3 days to get though my system

Back