BJ Penn vs Demian Maia at 170

in bizzarro world perhaps. There is noone in the world is that much better than maya that can negate strength difference between him and penn. He would squeeze ketchup out of him like he did with Rick Story

That's assuming he gets BJ down. GSP and Matt Hughes had issues with that at one time.

That's assuming he gets BJ down. GSP and Matt Hughes had issues with that at one time.
that may be partially because they tried to do it using pure wrestling. Maia is not above judo throws and pulling guard. Its not like bj can do shit offensively against him on the ground. He can hang there like nelson perhaps but that is about it.

that may be partially because they tried to do it using pure wrestling. Maia is not above judo throws and pulling guard. Its not like bj can do shit offensively against him on the ground. He can hang there like nelson perhaps but that is about it.

True enough. I think BJ dots him up with punches first, though. He'd make Maia pay for every failed takedown.

TS can't be serious. Not even any of that " in their prime " shit. But right now... LMAO.

BJ is/was primarily a LW fighter in the UFC. BJ last fought 2 1/2 years ago. The fight before that was 4 years ago. Both were losses.

Maia an ex-MW. In a little more than 2 1/2 years. Is on a 5 fight win streak. And is the number 3 ranked WW.

I mean, Come on... This isn't even close.

Im talking about today's Maia vs prime BJ ofc.Nobody serious can think of BJ today.

Prime BJ vs a Prime Maia at 170lbs would be a good fight. I don't think Maia could submit BJ until he is gassed, and I don't think BJ would be able to put out Maia before that happened. If in shape they were the same size, I would def go with BJ but just doesn't have the size to compete with Maia for long without gassing.

Maia is so much bigger than prime BJ, the fence grinding even if he doesn't take BJ down will wear him out eventually.

only way penn wins regardless of his prime is if maya had boxitosis. And that was his problem while back. As far as grapling penn had 0 chance at all points of their career. well he was better at the very beginning perhaps

Go look up prime penn takedown defense my man, hes legendary for it

Maia did not have the best takedowns earlier in his career, thats why anderson silva was able to keep it standing the entire fight

Bj penn takedown defense > anderson silva takedown defense

Prime bj penn striking > demian maia striking

Maia wins easily. Shouldn't even be sanctioned.

Back