• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News BJ Penn Arrested, released on suspicion of DUI , video shows belligerent encounter

I didn’t know that really, it’s not like there is a 100 page thread about that or anything??

Penn needs to come back to mma to go on an eight loss streak to satisfy my hunger and get some help, it’s sad watching this happen to a legend

Hey alcoholics! It’s just that simple, you just need to stop drinking. Goofmaster here just cured alcoholism.

Yeah it's definitely not that simple. I just hope that he can get past whatever issues it is that he's dealing with. I think cutting back on the drinking would help a lot though

I never was a big fan of BJ Penn. It took me a while to finally admit he was as good as he was with his win against Diego Sanchez.

Something about him just rubbed me the wrong way, and I thought it was hilarious he fell so hard with his losing streak.

But between him being KOed outside a bar by a fat guy and now this arrest, I really hope he gets some help... some purpose in life... because it seems like he doesn't have either.
I think that last part is the key. Having purpose in life.

I dont think bj has ever fully let go of his fighting life. Deep down he still believes he's a fighter.

If he's going to survive he will need to change his view of himself. He needs to embrace being a father, a husband, a friend, a brother etc. He could even do something with younger fighters like mentoring and teaching them . But im afraid his ego wont let him be something else.

In his mind he will always be bj the blood licking savage and he may end up dead as a result

Last edited:
Feel bad for the guy. It seems like he has no direction or motivation in life right now. Boredom is a colossal contribution to alcoholism.

Yeah, this was talked about a couple days ago. Its very sad. I've met BJ, but don't know him. I do know a lot of the same people. I trained at Relson Gracie's Academy in 1995. The community was small back then and he was talked about often. From what I hear from many people within different circles is he's a serious drug addict. I don't doubt this because coming from Hawaii, drug addiction is pretty common. I hope they sentence him to mandatory drug rehab. I think more will be known as time goes by. His money might end up getting in the way though. Good lawyers keep you out of jail.
He drug addiction is well documented. The case file of his custody battle was actually made public and relsead here on sherdog. His wife basically said that he's a train wreck without fighting. He binges coke and alcohol big time. Sad shit

Last edited:
This is clear says of CTE. This is so sad to see.. BJ Penn needs help.

Well yeah it's sad for sure but I can't help but think that he needs to man up. He got a family to think about unless they are divorced already.
If true...huge
T6k6rgnca-NSTdczF5nC_czALqlIDK2Y3rfgarCK53e1M2t_7KZIZIDNix48vup2VymnVmCNoqZYhIwVdDSS24nQpunV3kHYL52AFkbev0RfNH0YBZZd-OQ9Few465D3Hg

46ddc47b52d62eb134bd8e09e95deaa4.gif

Sad to see him lile that. I only was around for the losing streak part of his career, but he represents a lot.

And how fucking douchey can TMZ be. They always gotta go the extra mile to make themselves look like total assholes.

He needs serious help. this is gonna end very badly if not.

Could be depression is what’s behind his drinking and cte can cause that. Could be a midlife crisis and trouble adjusting to life now that he is no longer “the man”

He drug addiction is well documented. The case file of his custody battle was actually made public and relsead here on sherdog. His wife basically said that he's a train wreck without fighting. He binges coke and alcohol big time. Sad shit

I thought you could only get meth on the island. Colombia Coke cartel canoe no paddle dat far braddah

What was he saying in his rant? Something about Mollys? Fight to the death against GSP? What?

Could be depression is what’s behind his drinking and cte can cause that. Could be a midlife crisis and trouble adjusting to life now that he is no longer “the man”
Your first sentence is correct but your second sentence is wrong. If you are rich and famous you are always "the man" at every age. Old celebrities without cte can confirm.

Horrible man. I have a lot of friends that became Drug addicts in Hawaii and they have lost so much. While I as at UH, I had a part time gig working security in Chinatown in Hawaii. Drug addicts all over the place. Part of the reason I left the islands.

Your first sentence is correct but your second sentence is wrong. If you are rich and famous you are always "the man" at every age. Old celebrities without cte can confirm.
Nope, it’s common for athletes to struggle with life after the spotlight is no longer on them. You might still be the man in some ways, but you aren’t the UFC champ anymore. Thats it’s own thing.

if I had to guess with BJ, it’s probably a combination of all those factors

Back