• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BJ Penn ain't done with Khabib yet

BJ also has 3 defenses, and 2 were against Kenny Florian and Diego Sanchez. Khabib has more UFC wins than BJ, and BJ has 14 losses. The hell are these "credentials" that make fewer wins, 14 losses and the same number of defenses against shittier contenders better? It's just nostalgia, not reality.
Goddamn

14 fuckin losses,goddamn

"yeah khabib u should be more like this guy!"

sure, bud. You sleeping well lately?
Yes… I’m talking straight up. It’s just facts. Khabib missed weight multiple times… and should have fought at 170. Didn’t, because Usman would
Rag doll him. And that’s fine. Usman is scary good.

Khabib just isn’t as “good” as his record dictates. That’s all.

Goddamn

14 fuckin losses,goddamn

"yeah khabib u should be more like this guy!"
He has a losing record in the UFC. His UFC record is 12-13-2. I don't even dislike BJ, but let's get real here.

Reactions: HHJ
Khabib would literally toss BJ out of the octagon.
Maybe but I'm not too sure about that.

GSP, Matt Hughes and Jon Fitch all had trouble taking down a prime Penn. His takedown defense in his first 20 something fights was unreal.

He has a losing record in the UFC. His UFC record is 12-13-2. I don't even dislike BJ, but let's get real here.
True but let's be real about those last 7 fights. He was way past his prime and shouldn't have even been in there. He just loves to fight and probably needed the money.

Prime BJ would be a tough test for anyone,even Khabib.

But he should really not give career advice to a guy who retired with a perfect record.

Yes… I’m talking straight up. It’s just facts. Khabib missed weight multiple times… and should have fought at 170. Didn’t, because Usman would

"should have fought" at 170. Any rule or law I'm missing here, bud?

And "missed weight MULTIPLE TIMES".
Enlighten me on this, buddeh. The man's missed weight vs. Trujillo only if I recall correctly.
Come, let's discuss these "facts" you speak of.

Multiple times? Buddy, he missed weight once vs Abel. So I don't know where you're getting multiple. And he shouldn't have to fight at 170, he wasn't even the biggest LW. Khabib fought at the right weight class, in the his title run he never missed weight.

And no, he didn't just stay at LW cause of Usman, that's ridiculous. Khabib won his belt and defended it before Usman even won his title. Khabib was looking to build a legacy at his weight class. He didn't care for moving up.

Khabib is actually better than his record indicates. He only had 3 title defenses, but there is no one at LW that was beating him. He would be favored over everyone.

Meh. Still made 155 for most of his career, I could give a fuck less what he weighs now that he's RETIRED. I think if that's what you are hating on him for you should find something better lol.

Who's hating? Just stating the facts - he's not the GOAT and never will be.

Very few fighters quit at their peak. 99% of high level fighters have basically the same career arc. The highest of the high level guys have excellent records with very few losses on their road to the title. Whether they hold the belt for 1 defense or 15 defenses, the aftermath is usually the same.....chin is gone, speed is gone, confidence is gone, desire to get up at 4am and run 5 miles is gone. GSP and Khabib are basically the only guys that went out on top.....and to me that's not something to brag about....they did it because they're afraid to lose and blemish their records.

Fedor lost 5 times post Japan...but people still talk about him in GOAT discussions.

Records on paper don't tell the story. If you didn't live through BJ real time, looking at his record makes him look like a can.

If you look at BJ's record in this snapshot it puts him in better perspective....along with realizing who Matt Hughes was at the time.

In 8 out of his first 15 fights BJ fought at a weight than 155 lbs. Stars are his fights at higher weight classes.
His only losses were to Machida, Hughes and GSP. Machida - 2x LHW champ, Hughes was 9x WW champ from 2001-2006 only lost to BJ, and GSP - 12x WW Champ AKA WW GOAT
BJ avenged his only loss at the time beating Jens Pulver

To put this in perspective this would be like Khabib going up and fighting Masvidal, Woodley 2x, Usman 2x, Demian Maia, Kelvin Gastelum and Jan Blachowicz. And then add on 3 more WW's for when BJ went up later and fought Nick Diaz, Rory McDonald and Jon Fitch.

The thing I miss about the old days is that fighters were actually fighters. BJ Penn is the prime example of a fighter. Screw weight, you wanna see who's better...lets do it.

Anderson Silva, GSP and Jon Jones aren't fighters. That's why we missed out on those fights. Guys too worried about getting an L on their record and not actually interested in seeing who's better.

People will trash BJ because of his record and say he sucks all while not realizing how much more entertaining the UFC would be if we had more fighters like BJ. Guys would actually go up and down weights and fight instead of talking trash to each other on twitter.

BJ Penns Record.png

Hughes Career.png

• bjpenn
    Verified

Since Khabib has been saying he is the greatest lightweight of all time and I am number 2 best lightweight many people have been asking me why didn’t Khabib fight Usman for the 170 pound belt or compete for 170 belt like I did many times… in my humble opinion it is because he is not proficient and confident in jiujitsu

I believe the reason behind Khabib not fighting Usman is because he does not know jiujitsu like I did and he is not comfortable fighting off his back against someone who is bigger and stronger than him like I did many many times in my career.
    I fought at 170 185 and heavyweight and every fight I had to fight from my back and survive and come back and fight harder if I was to get a victory.

It’s because of my jiujitsu black belt experience and fighting in my weight and absolute division for years that always prepared me for this…Gracie jiujitsu and Brazilian jiu-jitsu alone is not enough to be UFC champion but to choose one system BJJ is still the greatest self defense system in the world especially for the little man to fight the big man.

It was just part of the game…
    Khabib says jiujitsu is easy and he is the best grappler ever but he did not fight bigger opponents in higher weight classes because his style is not prepared for this …and that’s what jiujitsu was created for.. for the little man to defend himself from the big man! That is martial arts, that is self defense !!

Facts are. Khabib was a weight bully. Perfecty suited to lw. Cutting so much weight he got hospitalised and even missed weight against Gaedthe (Dont believe me: watch on youtube). Most recognised wins were vs featherweights (Poirer and Conmeg). Never stepped up. Great but not close to goat.

BJ is a Top 5 GOAT (not just LW)

Most people don't even have Khabib in their Top 5, argument over

BJ is a Top 5 GOAT (not just LW)

Most people don't even have Khabib in their Top 5, argument over

I can respect BJ Penn, and he was a fighter at heart, but in no way does this record make him one of the top 5 best fighters of all time. Nope, just can't get behind that.

bj 2.png
bj 1.png

Very few fighters quit at their peak. 99% of high level fighters have basically the same career arc. The highest of the high level guys have excellent records with very few losses on their road to the title. Whether they hold the belt for 1 defense or 15 defenses, the aftermath is usually the same.....chin is gone, speed is gone, confidence is gone, desire to get up at 4am and run 5 miles is gone. GSP and Khabib are basically the only guys that went out on top.....and to me that's not something to brag about....they did it because they're afraid to lose and blemish their records.

Fedor lost 5 times post Japan...but people still talk about him in GOAT discussions.

Records on paper don't tell the story. If you didn't live through BJ real time, looking at his record makes him look like a can.

If you look at BJ's record in this snapshot it puts him in better perspective....along with realizing who Matt Hughes was at the time.

In 8 out of his first 15 fights BJ fought at a weight than 155 lbs. Stars are his fights at higher weight classes.
His only losses were to Machida, Hughes and GSP. Machida - 2x LHW champ, Hughes was 9x WW champ from 2001-2006 only lost to BJ, and GSP - 12x WW Champ AKA WW GOAT
BJ avenged his only loss at the time beating Jens Pulver

To put this in perspective this would be like Khabib going up and fighting Masvidal, Woodley 2x, Usman 2x, Demian Maia, Kelvin Gastelum and Jan Blachowicz. And then add on 3 more WW's for when BJ went up later and fought Nick Diaz, Rory McDonald and Jon Fitch.

The thing I miss about the old days is that fighters were actually fighters. BJ Penn is the prime example of a fighter. Screw weight, you wanna see who's better...lets do it.

Anderson Silva, GSP and Jon Jones aren't fighters. That's why we missed out on those fights. Guys too worried about getting an L on their record and not actually interested in seeing who's better.

People will trash BJ because of his record and say he sucks all while not realizing how much more entertaining the UFC would be if we had more fighters like BJ. Guys would actually go up and down weights and fight instead of talking trash to each other on twitter.

View attachment 878791

View attachment 878792
Let's not romanticize it. BJ moved up because he missed winning the title at LW and the UFC scrapped the division, so he took another chance at a title against Hughes, and then stayed heavier for the next several years because that's where he got his best result and he could eat whatever he wanted.

The 2nd GSP fight was him actually moving up 1 time to challenge himself against the champ at a higher weight, but the others were just him getting heavier himself. Hendricks, Gastellum and Rumble have all moved up in weight too, same with Poirier and Conor and lots of others.

I’m the biggest Khabib fan but in my eyes Penn is on a higher level because he wasn’t afraid to test himself against bigger opponents! He is my pick for the real goat

Back