Biscuitsbrah's Bagwork

i think bas ruttens video on how to kick does a great job of demonstrating what your talking about.

I do the same, my foot is already "pre pivoted" in my step

not the video I was looking for but close enough

If you don't mind me commenting, I would like to say that pre-commiting a round house kick by having already placing your foot pointing outward is dangerous if you ever face a high rank martial artist aware of your first instep move.

Why, because this exposes your side knee where its at its weakest with nerves and joints pointing outward and in a vulnerable position.

Example:-

Your Knee physiology.... https://sites.google.com/site/jointshannakyleighmorgankaci/_/rsrc/1447351684153/knee-joint---hanna/bent-knee-anatomy.jpg

When you do a round house kick its one motion not a split move, this gives you more torque speed and power never split the two that gives your knee away and bad news there after.

In Wing Chun we usaslly come for the legs first in a forward attack and in a subtle crouched position striking your knees through various strikes to each knee overcoming the opponent.
Which if the opponents walks back retreating it then falls into trapping hands, in the pocket close quarter combat so to speak.

As for the pivoting view, yeah sure it can be argued that they have no time to prepare and its an efficient technique so on.

I understand how most guys think in terms of Muay Thai and MMA style kicking.

In that video BAS is awesome however the other guy just falls for the setup because his just asking for it, before BAS kicks his posturing with his hands up in front and looking for that entry kick.

There is mental tactic here where BAS is luring him in then bang.

Experience always counts, that guy will never forget that lesson, eeeks :eek:

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve been trying to drill moving to the right more. I naturally gravitate to moving towards my left when both moving forward and backward.
And what is a duck upper? Is that like a bob?
kinda, it's the bob with a weave. instead of just dipping down to let the punch sail over the top you kinda want to roll under it, works well combined with the left hook. watch the way @YoungCashMoney does it, he is getting rather good at rolling under punches, before and after he throws.
it is the best way to deal with the right hand that will be coming at you when you step to the left. it is also a great way to set up the left hook, which seems to be one of your best weapons. (this is more of a boxing thing you have to use it with caution if knees are involves)

If you don't mind me commenting, I would like to say that pre-commiting a round house kick by having already placing your foot pointing outward is dangerous if you ever face a high rank martial artist aware of your first instep move.

Why, because this exposes your side knee where its at its weakest with nerves and joints pointing outward and in a vulnerable position.

Example:-

Your Knee physiology.... https://sites.google.com/site/jointshannakyleighmorgankaci/_/rsrc/1447351684153/knee-joint---hanna/bent-knee-anatomy.jpg

When you do a round house kick its one motion not a split move, this gives you more torque speed and power never split the two that gives your knee away and bad news there after.

In Wing Chun we usaslly come for the legs first in a forward attack and in a subtle crouched position striking your knees through various strikes to each knee overcoming the opponent.
Which if the opponents walks back retreating it then falls into trapping hands, in the pocket close quarter combat so to speak.

As for the pivoting view, yeah sure it can be argued that they have no time to prepare and its an efficient technique so on.

I understand how most guys think in terms of Muay Thai and MMA style kicking.

In that video BAS is awesome however the other guy just falls for the setup because his just asking for it, before BAS kicks his posturing with his hands up in front and looking for that entry kick.

There is mental tactic here where BAS is luring him in then bang.

Experience always counts, that guy will never forget that lesson, eeeks :eek:

I've seen people do it in the gym, but they set it up with punches. They'll throw a 1-2 (step with the 1 and than after the 2....) than kick. The whole point of it is to distract your opponent with punches, while your secretly planting your foot in like a 45 degree angle.

I'd like to see you open up your hips more to get better power and drive on your kicks. Ballparking from the video, your base foot is at about a 45°-60° angle to the target when the kick lands, which isn't bad but it's leaving some power and snap on the table. Try to get your base foot and leg to around 90° to the target, this lets you fully open up your hips so you can accelerate the kick through its final phase and really slam it through the target. When kicking with the front leg you'll have to add even more angle to get the same effect.

Obviously it's a bit wonky to step you base leg sideways all at once so the footwork gets a bit interesting. After starting the kick, you need to pivot the base foot/leg sideways somewhere around halfway into the kick. It's a lot easier to see with a video. Kicking leg comes up, base leg pivots to open up the hips, drive kick through target.

Great advice. Did this today while drilling and doing bag work and got a lot more power out of my switch kick. I dont think i should kick with shoes on. I think it gives me bad habits because its way more grippy

kinda, it's the bob with a weave. instead of just dipping down to let the punch sail over the top you kinda want to roll under it, works well combined with the left hook. watch the way @YoungCashMoney does it, he is getting rather good at rolling under punches, before and after he throws.
it is the best way to deal with the right hand that will be coming at you when you step to the left. it is also a great way to set up the left hook, which seems to be one of your best weapons. (this is more of a boxing thing you have to use it with caution if knees are involves)
Youre gonna have to show me a video. Is it just a roll

Youre gonna have to show me a video. Is it just a roll
yes it is just a roll. usually under the left hook counter after you throw the right, or under the right and come up with a left hook, sorry about the strange terminology.
it is one of the single most effective moves in boxing.
not only is it a great defensive move, it sets up body shouts and power punches extremely well. i just noticed your not doing it a whole lot as you move to the left. (if your training for mma or kicking boxing rolling under punches should be used with caution as the knee comes into play)
if that is the case i'm kinda talking out of school and you should just focus on keeping that left up and recovering your guard after punching.

Back