Biscuitsbrah spazzing out

@AndyMaBobs
You helped me a lot. I just tried a couple kicks doing my best to kick from chamber if you will and it feels a lot better. Not sure I’m flexible enough to get it up to someone’s head who’s taller than me but it’s so much faster and cleaner.

I think part of the reason I was kicking so wide is because my stance is very wide for footwork purposes.

Awesome man, I'm glad it's working from you. Kicking from a chamber can actually make a good exercises, hold the chamber for a roundhouse and extent and retract your kick and keep your leg in the air. It will absolutely suck but you will find you'll have more control even on a traditional muay thai round house kick.

Even if your stance is wife, you'll be able to kick on a narrower arc, it might not necessarily be tight like Karuhat, but you can definitely minimise that telegraph

Awesome man, I'm glad it's working from you. Kicking from a chamber can actually make a good exercises, hold the chamber for a roundhouse and extent and retract your kick and keep your leg in the air. It will absolutely suck but you will find you'll have more control even on a traditional muay thai round house kick.

Even if your stance is wife, you'll be able to kick on a narrower arc, it might not necessarily be tight like Karuhat, but you can definitely minimise that telegraph
Sorry just threw some kicks. Wasn’t warmed up or anything. Still needs a lot of work but is this better? I think I was getting the hang of it at the end. Some kicks did look wide and wonky

Sorry just threw some kicks. Wasn’t warmed up or anything. Still needs a lot of work but is this better? I think I was getting the hang of it at the end. Some kicks did look wide and wonky

So that arc is pretty good, but can you turn your hip over, and as you pivot make sure your heel faces the 'target'.

This is gonna feel awkward, and for a little while your kick will be worse than it was before, because you're adjusting to the new movement, but it will pay off

A good drill that I completely forgot about.

Stand by a wall with your kicking leg close to it, then kick through with your round kick.

Last thing he demonstrates here!

A good drill that I completely forgot about.

Stand by a wall with your kicking leg close to it, then kick through with your round kick.

Last thing he demonstrates here!

Thank a lot dude. I really appreciate you taking the time to online coach me lol.

I tried opening my hip and I feel the form looks better. I also notice a huge flexibility and power difference. Definitely feels a little awkward though

Shadow kicking I’m definitely having trouble balancing because I’m trying to open my hip so much. Not sure what I’m doing wrong or if I should just drop my right foot where I stand. Left kick obviously looks very inconsistent and off too lol

Thank a lot dude. I really appreciate you taking the time to online coach me lol.

I tried opening my hip and I feel the form looks better. I also notice a huge flexibility and power difference. Definitely feels a little awkward though

Shadow kicking I’m definitely having trouble balancing because I’m trying to open my hip so much. Not sure what I’m doing wrong or if I should just drop my right foot where I stand. Left kick obviously looks very inconsistent and off too lol

Looking much better! Shadow kicking is a little awkward, but that's reasonable.

Your kick on the bag is looking a lot better, but can you wait until it's fully swinging towards you before you kick it, at the moment from the camera angle it looks like it's just ended its swing to the left, when you kick it with your right leg, if you can wait until it's nearly in front of you before your leg hits it you'll feel a better impact. It'll also subconsciously train you to cut off your opponent with kicks. You might actually be doing that but its a bit hard to tell from the angle

The only other thing I would say, but this is ME thing, not a universal thing, is to also practise an extended arm on the kick.

My coach is a Thai of a similar age to Surat (he's a bit younger) + he taught me to do that usually, but swing down for extra power. So if you're dealing with someone who likes to punch, having your glove in their face during the kick will muffle them, and also allow you to post and frame off them after a kick!

That way you have some coverage for both a power kick + a safer round kick

Happy to help!

Looking much better! Shadow kicking is a little awkward, but that's reasonable.

Your kick on the bag is looking a lot better, but can you wait until it's fully swinging towards you before you kick it, at the moment from the camera angle it looks like it's just ended its swing to the left, when you kick it with your right leg, if you can wait until it's nearly in front of you before your leg hits it you'll feel a better impact. It'll also subconsciously train you to cut off your opponent with kicks. You might actually be doing that but its a bit hard to tell from the angle

The only other thing I would say, but this is ME thing, not a universal thing, is to also practise an extended arm on the kick.

My coach is a Thai of a similar age to Surat (he's a bit younger) + he taught me to do that usually, but swing down for extra power. So if you're dealing with someone who likes to punch, having your glove in their face during the kick will muffle them, and also allow you to post and frame off them after a kick!

That way you have some coverage for both a power kick + a safer round kick

Happy to help!

Will do everything you said. I really like that drill. When I’m on a banana bag or have a partner I’m definitely gonna do it. Is your coach famous? Or what is your gym?

Will do everything you said. I really like that drill. When I’m on a banana bag or have a partner I’m definitely gonna do it. Is your coach famous? Or what is your gym?

Best of luck!

My coach was famous in Thailand back in the day, plenty of magazine and newspaper clippings of him that his gym held onto, but I don't know if he's a celebrity like Dieselnoi.

This is my coach, he's taught at 3 or 4 different gyms over the last 10 years, but I was always wherever he was:

He was getting back into shape after having surgery, he said it was the first time he'd ever had to stay in a hospital in his life

I can see why, you're trying to pull yourself back into your starting stance while standing on one leg after missing the kick. You can do this fairly cleanly on a TKD style kick which doesn't have a ton of rotational momentum behind it, but it ain't happening on a MT style round kick.

I wrote a post about this a while back.
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/136849849/
This is about what to do on a missed kick, but it also applies to shadow kicking where you're kicking air.

I can see why, you're trying to pull yourself back into your starting stance while standing on one leg after missing the kick. You can do this fairly cleanly on a TKD style kick which doesn't have a ton of rotational momentum behind it, but it ain't happening on a MT style round kick.

I wrote a post about this a while back.
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/136849849/
This is about what to do on a missed kick, but it also applies to shadow kicking where you're kicking air.
That makes sense. Just gotta drop my leg in front of me if I want to open my hips up with good technique. Thanks dude.

@AndyMaBobs
You helped me a lot. I just tried a couple kicks doing my best to kick from chamber if you will and it feels a lot better. Not sure I’m flexible enough to get it up to someone’s head who’s taller than me but it’s so much faster and cleaner.

I think part of the reason I was kicking so wide is because my stance is very wide for footwork purposes.

Just threw some kicks. Wasn’t warmed up or anything. Still needs a lot of work but is this better?

lol spacetime kicks

Your kicks are wrong regardless of art and it looks like a hip alignment issue but it could be bad muscle memory too. How is your flexibility?

The problem is that even if you are told how to do it your hips won't neccesarily cooperate.

So...If it's flexibility issuez you need to do a lot of boring stretching and motions slow.. There is no quick fix to this. This might take months..

The good news is that switching muscle memory is pretty quick once you've done it.

Your kicks are wrong regardless of art and it looks like a hip alignment issue but it could be bad muscle memory too. How is your flexibility?

The problem is that even if you are told how to do it your hips won't neccesarily cooperate.

So...If it's flexibility issuez you need to do a lot of boring stretching and motions slow.. There is no quick fix to this. This might take months..

The good news is that switching muscle memory is pretty quick once you've done it.
Can you post an 8 second clip of what an optimal kick would look like to you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back