International Bipartisan Senators call for China to end wet markets

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

“Despite these statements, wet markets in Wuhan and throughout China are back in operation after the recent shut downs,” Graham and Coons wrote.

“Therefore, we are urging China to shut down all wet markets that allow for interactions between humans and wild animals that pose public health risks,” they added. “We understand and respect that wet markets are an important component to Chinese society and way of life, but we believe the current moment, which has disrupted everyday life around the world, calls for extreme precautions.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/se...on-china-to-immediately-shut-down-wet-markets

Props to the Senators who are doing this. Do these letters have any teeth though? Is this window dressing?

I'm guessing "Different culture, hard to judge" just isn't going to cut it this time.

This is a waste of time.

Nothing our senate can do will force China to close certain markets. China will only do so if they find it economically promising to do so. Even then, they wouldn't extend the resources to the far off provinces.

All sound and fury, ultimately signifying derp.

How are we gonna get a country the size of China to do this and even if they go that route won’t these people just open up underground illegal markets instead?

I would love if these were shut but it seems like wishful thinking. How will we even enforce it or check to see if they’re being compliant?

How are we gonna get a country the size of China to do this and even if they go that route won’t these people just open up underground illegal markets instead?

I would love if these were shut but it seems like wishful thinking. How will we even enforce it or check to see if they’re being compliant?
We'll get Obama to ask them nicely. He has charisma.

Who voted for these senators?
I bet you it was no one from China!

The laws in the US do not extend to other countries, especially the Soviet ones!

You’re from Canada so you’ll be doing none of this because you don’t live in America. Now run along.

You won't be doing anything either, in fact, no Sherdogger will be doing anything. I say we leave it to the professionals, like either Trump or Obama.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is a waste of time.

Nothing our senate can do will force China to close certain markets. China will only do so if they find it economically promising to do so. Even then, they wouldn't extend the resources to the far off provinces.

All sound and fury, ultimately signifying derp.

In 2018 TPA was extended for three years.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/trump-gets-extended-fast-track-trade-powers

If Senators stick to their guns (and I'm cynical they will), they could give China an economic ultimatum within the next years.

What about other wet markets around the world? Indonesia, Phillipines, Taiwan, Thailand, etc etc.

Oh just ask them to regulate them ...or encourage them to not sell animals Chinese hillbillies can forage for themselves...like bats

locals who worked at the joint chinese/us lab that concocted this shit decided that, instead of destroying lab animals including dogs, cats and others according to protocol, instead decided to sell them for profit at the 'wet market'. I know this from a US worker at the actual lab. shhhh, fbi

pandemic. boom.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/se...on-china-to-immediately-shut-down-wet-markets

Props to the Senators who are doing this. Do these letters have any teeth though? Is this window dressing?
"Wet markets" themselves aren't the problem- they're essentially just farmer's markets with live animals and we have variations of that here in the US. I remember live poultry farms (in urban NJ) with everything from chickens to pigeons killed fresh on site. In fact, my first childhood pet was a duckling I begged my parents to buy me that I took home to raise. NIMBYs legislated them out of existence due to the smell.

The real problem is the trafficking of wildlife. Asking China to shut down their markets is essentially telling them to close the only sources of fresh food their citizens have access to. Strengthen CITES, and enforce laws globally. Pressure China to punish violators with the same draconian zeal their drug offenders enjoy.

China's first priority should be a national agency that regulates food and medicine, like our FDA. One that rigorously tests the claims of traditional Chinese medicine so its bullshit claims are exposed. China's scientists know it's bullshit. I would assume the more educated Chinese citizens do as well. The government is afraid to oppose it because it's a lucrative billion dollar industry with generations of scoundrels that have international ties. But fuck, they just cost your country trillions of dollars. Hang them all.

A "wet market" is what I call a room full of single ladies when I walk into it.

I'm guessing "Different culture, hard to judge" just isn't going to cut it this time.

Imagine the response if China passed a resolution telling the US to tighten gun laws so that American guns stopped flowing into Latin American countries.

You won't be doing anything either, in fact, no Sherdogger will be doing anything. I say we leave it to the professionals, like either Trump or Obama.

Honestly what the heck are you talking about??

trump a professional. Lmfao. He’ll handle it the same way he handled North Korea. Meaning he did nothing

Back