Biggest complaints on tournies ?

Make sure it's legal to hold a submission grappling/BJJ event in your state. Nothing like getting shut down at the 11th hour because someone at the athletic commission doesn't understand the sport.

Also, when you're planning your schedule, build in a little bit of a buffer. You can't control everything (imagine having 6 mats and one of them having a guy with a fractured arm on it for an hour or so before the EMTs can move him). That's going to cut into your schedule, so you need to be prepared for things like that.

Schedule advanced/upper belts before lower belts. Nothing like coaching for 6 or 7 hours and then trying to compete after all that.

Invest in good referees.

Making brackets ALWAYS takes longer than you think it will take. ALWAYS.

Don't think that will be an issue .. I out rank the State athletic commisioner I will choke him unconscious the night before

second for sand bagging

How do judo competitions get rid of this problem. I can't really think of a way to stop people sand bagging.

I remember when I had my first judo competition. They knew I did bjj which I was a white belt in at the time, they decided to put me against black belts. I was pretty pissed of because I have the lamest throws on takedowns, the only thing I could hope for was a flying armbar or to let them take me to the ground and try to get a submission before I was stood up. I don't think they were doing it to screw me over, they must of thought it would be more fair that way.

The flying armbar worked but they told me not to do it again or I would be disqualified. The next time I managed to get an armbar on the ground. The time after that, he threw me with a very nice ippon seonage.

Apart from what happened to me, it was generally very well organised. Everybody got more than one match and it ran on time.

1.sandbagging check in to the competitors to make shure they are placed in the right class. 2.chargeing competitors for water if you want to sell it to people watching thats cool but not to your athleates. 3.run it on time it sucks when you are supposed to start at noon and you dont start untill 3.

Do your best not to have teamates fight, at least not in the 1st or 2nd round.

How do judo competitions get rid of this problem. I can't really think of a way to stop people sand bagging.

I remember when I had my first judo competition. They knew I did bjj which I was a white belt in at the time, they decided to put me against black belts. I was pretty pissed of because I have the lamest throws on takedowns, the only thing I could hope for was a flying armbar or to let them take me to the ground and try to get a submission before I was stood up. I don't think they were doing it to screw me over, they must of thought it would be more fair that way.

The flying armbar worked but they told me not to do it again or I would be disqualified. The next time I managed to get an armbar on the ground. The time after that, he threw me with a very nice ippon seonage.

Apart from what happened to me, it was generally very well organised. Everybody got more than one match and it ran on time.

Most judo competitions don't have belt divisions - belts aren't considered to mean much in judo. Judo competitions instead are generally based on tournament level: local, regional, national, international C, international B, international A, world championship/olympics. The details for the lower ones vary from country to country. Generally you have to be on a regional (provincial, state etc) team to compete in national level tournaments, a national team to compete in international level tournaments.

And generally people know if you're on a provincial team, national team etc. Not that it would matter, a national team member could fight in local tournament if they wanted - its just that they almost never do. Moreover, there isn't much incentive to sandbag, since winning higher level tournaments is much more prestigious than winning low level tournaments, and at the international level, where you're trying to make enough points to qualify for the olympics, you get more points for high place finishes in World Cup tournaments than international C - and none for national level and below. In fact, a lot of members of national teams don't even fight in national championships, since they're trying to get olympic qualifying points.

Sandbagging just isn't an issue, because the division is based on tournament level, not belts. Belts mean almost nothing in judo, winning high level tournaments is everything. And there's not much correlation between winning tournaments and belts, there are fifth degree black belts who have never done more than win locally, and 1st degree black belts who are repeat world championships.

Most judo competitions don't have belt divisions - belts aren't considered to mean much in judo. Judo competitions instead are generally based on tournament level: local, regional, national, international C, international B, international A, world championship/olympics. The details for the lower ones vary from country to country. Generally you have to be on a regional (provincial, state etc) team to compete in national level tournaments, a national team to compete in international level tournaments.

And generally people know if you're on a provincial team, national team etc. Not that it would matter, a national team member could fight in local tournament if they wanted - its just that they almost never do. Moreover, there isn't much incentive to sandbag, since winning higher level tournaments is much more prestigious than winning low level tournaments, and at the international level, where you're trying to make enough points to qualify for the olympics, you get more points for high place finishes in World Cup tournaments than international C - and none for national level and below. In fact, a lot of members of national teams don't even fight in national championships, since they're trying to get olympic qualifying points.

Sandbagging just isn't an issue, because the division is based on tournament level, not belts. Belts mean almost nothing in judo, winning high level tournaments is everything. And there's not much correlation between winning tournaments and belts, there are fifth degree black belts who have never done more than win locally, and 1st degree black belts who are repeat world championships.

Thank you for a very informative post. If there were more people in other countries other than the US and Brazil doing jiu jitsu, we could have a similar setup and eliminate sandbagging which has caused a large problem in bjj competitions.

I remember hearing about (not sure if its true) about an olympic or high level judoka entering a bjj tournament as a blue belt in the seni tournament in the UK. I think his name was Winston or something like that.

Sorry my reply wasn't all that great, but I thought I had to add something more than "thank you for a very informative post".

Back