Big Tipping

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I'm a fairly big tipper and I'm wondering if there are any other big tippers here. I tend to tip my waiters about 30%. Now I'm not necessarily tipping big just because I'm a nice guy or anything, but here is my experience just in case any low pay or no pay tippers are unaware. When I go to restaraunts, they are usually restaurants with bars. When you sit in the bar area and you frequent it pretty regularly, you tend to see the same few waiters. They work there so they get discounts on food if not free food. They get to keep all their tip money usually. So when they recognize a frequent customer and a big tipper, they very often, and I've seen this occur for me at various restaraunts, will start hooking you up. There is one restaurant that I go to that I get my food completely free nearly every time and the times I don't they will charge me only for like a single soft drink. I'll go with my wife and we will order maybe 60 dollars worth of food. We get that for free, but we still tip 30% on 60 dollars so we give the waiter 18 bucks. So in total we only pay 18 bucks for our food.

Do other people have similar experiences? Are there any servers here that intentionally hook up big tippers?

I've tipped big and tipped small. It seems to make little difference in the service I receive. As a result I've started tipping less except when I get outstanding service. I reward those servers.

No tipping culture in Holland, so I doubt that would work here.

Sometimes I give them just the tip. Tease them a bit.

I've tipped big and tipped small. It seems to make little difference in the service I receive. As a result I've started tipping less except when I get outstanding service. I reward those servers.

I even tip bad servers. I usually see bad service as either inexperience or apathy. If it's inexperience, I know they are trying their best. If it's apathy, I know they hate their job and quite frankly I hate them and their apathy, but it isn't to me about rewarding or punishing them, it is about making them and because servers inform other servers about good tippers, making the other staff aware that I will tip big. Again, not because I'm some high roller as I'm not. But because I've found fairly consistently, if you gain a reputation as a big tipper, you actually end up spending less in the long run as the staff will start hooking you up. It must be a little bit how rich people feel when everyone wants to give them stuff for free.

My wife and I always tip well. Particularly at places near us that we frequent a lot. My wife can make friends standing at the DMV so we're always chatting with the staff and owners at places as well. So, they know us at our regular spots and we sometimes get little freebies or sample dishes and stuff like that as a result.

Our favorite sushi place is great for this. When we sit at the sushi bar they totally hook us up. We love the place and just want to help them succeed really.

My dad was always stringent about the percentage. Like he'll break out his calculator and figure out what exactly to tip based on the percentage. I'd say he regularly tips in the15-18% range.

We typically are somewhere in the 25-30% range or better. My dad "doesn't get it" but just the gratitude from a server is enough satisfaction for me to continue with the way we tip. We do well and don't mind helping out a low wage worker that probably gets a lot of shitty tips throughout their day.

oh look, a tipping thread.

Hopefully with a slight twist. I'm not making a "To tip or not to tip thread." I'm trying to find out if other's have had the experience that when they develop a reputation for consistent big tipping they end up getting deals that ultimately decreases the amount they pay.

I usually leave 10-15 dollar tip. Also depends on the service. Some of my friends are cheap as fuck and don't leave I tip so I usually end up tipping for them bitches.

I understand what NHB7 is saying. The places that the wife and i frequent, we leave very good tips and our service is always great. Free dessert is usually what we get. Sometimes a drink or two.

To the new places that we try out, we base it on service though.

Uh oh... A tipping thread.

I always leave 20%. More if things are great... No, I've never had a job in the service industry, but I do know how it works. I believe if you don't have money to tip, you don't have money to eat out. Or Drink out, for that matter. These people work hard, they deserve tips for service.

15-20%

I guess that makes me an average tipper. You've got to be a douche to get less than that, and I'm too poor to give you more than that even if you're awesome.

I usually tip well. If you get a less than 20 percent from me you Must be really bad at your job.

For example. At twin peaks I left 5 on thirty because the girl told one of the girls at out table about how she was going to a boys house when she was trying to get our tab switched to a new waitress. But on the receipt wrote "breast wishes" and drew boobs. After she had done her job and flirted all night she completely ruined the illusion that she liked me and the whole experience was off. When your job is to sell wings and tits. Don't talk about how you can't wait to leave to go see some guy in front of me.

im not big at all on tipping, maybe its cause I was a dishwasher and would rather tip them both equally. when I was a dishwasher it was crap hours and minimum wage, and it didnt make me feel better that the waitress bragged to me about getting a 20$ tip because a couple came in when they were closing. its like bitch are you kidding me? you just got 20$ out of no where added on to what you made tonight that 20$ is half the money i made tonight, I only got 4 hour shifts and shit was always stacked when i got there so i would have to work my ass off just as hard. I also had to pay 10/20$ a plate that I broke depending on what it is, when i broke one last and my boss is like yea you gotta pay for that, I started looking at the clock and wondering if i should just quit then he said i didn't have to pay lol

Pretty much go standard in the 15-20% range, even if the service isn't great but I go higher for places I go a lot or when the service is really good.

I'm a fairly big tipper and I'm wondering if there are any other big tippers here. I tend to tip my waiters about 30%. Now I'm not necessarily tipping big just because I'm a nice guy or anything, but here is my experience just in case any low pay or no pay tippers are unaware. When I go to restaraunts, they are usually restaurants with bars. When you sit in the bar area and you frequent it pretty regularly, you tend to see the same few waiters. They work there so they get discounts on food if not free food. They get to keep all their tip money usually. So when they recognize a frequent customer and a big tipper, they very often, and I've seen this occur for me at various restaraunts, will start hooking you up. There is one restaurant that I go to that I get my food completely free nearly every time and the times I don't they will charge me only for like a single soft drink. I'll go with my wife and we will order maybe 60 dollars worth of food. We get that for free, but we still tip 30% on 60 dollars so we give the waiter 18 bucks. So in total we only pay 18 bucks for our food.

Do other people have similar experiences? Are there any servers here that intentionally hook up big tippers?

there's a certain restaurant/bar close to where i live, where i do the same thing. i tip generously, talk with the staff, and often order food as well. it's come to the point where even the kitchen staff knows my name and will say what's up if they walk past me. and in return, i get free drinks, first-class service, and oftentimes they won't charge all the food i've ordered.

you scratch my back, i'll scratch yours. it awesome.

Back