Big Tipping

So it's OK to steal as long as the victim is richer than you?

Likewise, I guess it's OK for bums or hood rats to steal anything they want from you as long as they think you are richer than them?

The moral wrongness of stealing is inversely related to the value of the stolen object to the victim.

Maybe.

The moral wrongness of stealing is inversely related to the value of the stolen object to the victim.

Maybe.

What if the restaurant is just breaking even and servers ripping off the bar every night causes the place to shut down and everyone who works there to lose their jobs? I'm sure it's happened many, many times since the margins are so thin at most restaurants.

What if the restaurant is just breaking even and servers ripping off the bar every night causes the place to shut down and everyone who works there to lose their jobs? I'm sure it's happened many, many times since the margins are so thin at most restaurants.

Then the value of the stolen object to the victim would be high, and the crime would be worse.

But don't mind me, I just post here.

I tip my sushi guy big and am a regular. He hooks me up with dishes not on the menu every time I go to eat there. It's pretty cool, but not as great a deal as the OP's.

I tip my hat.

Likewise, I guess it's OK for bums or hood rats to steal anything they want from you as long as they think you are richer than them?

When I bartended we had a comp tab and I was allowed to give freebies at my discretion. I most definitely took care of regulars who tended to be good tippers. I no longer bartend but I know tons of people in the industry. I tip 30+% unless they are just assholes which is rare.

I visited India a few years ago and they have a practice of not tipping in restaurants. It simply was never embedded in their culture. idea being that the workers accept what they earn and do their job.

Tipping tho encourages good service, so I'm generally a proponent..

But not in the case of titty bars. Throwing around dollar bills is just unsavory..if I owned a strip club I'd just charge a bigger cover.

My brother and I always try and out tip each other.

I generally tip 20%. Not because I'm necessarily that generous, but more because it's easier to calculate 20% than 15% in my head. It's really mostly a matter of being both lazy and shit at arithmetic.

It all depends on the service. If they do the basic take drink order, meal, and check they're getting 10%. If they come ask how the meal is and refill drinks they get 20%.
A local Chinese restaurant I visit, which is owned by a Japanese family, the lady gets mad and will yell at you if you try to tip.
A pizza place I used to go to got bought out. They changed it to you go to the counter and order, fill your own soda, then when it's ready they call out your number and you go pick it up at the counter. I feel in that situation I shouldn't tip because IMO tipping is for the service you get. One time I was leaving the owner said "thanks for the tip" and I haven't been back since. It sucks because the pizza is good and the only one around.
If I go to the local bar and the owner is working I don't tip, but if someone else is waitressing I'll give them a buck a beer and a ceasar it's $3.

Yep, especially in family owned businesses. We're getting free stuff in a couple of Chinese places here all the time because they know us, and know we always sort them out.

Was the same back in the UK.

If it's place I frequent I usually tip more because if it's a place I frequent there's a good reason and I want to keep the same quality experience or better each time I go. If it's just some random place I have been to just tip the standard, if the service is really bad I don't feel guilty about a low tip or no tip.

I'll usually tip pretty good if it's a place I frequent a lot like a bar or restaurant. I'll also tip pretty good to people who wash my car in the summer because it's hot as balls and it must suck to work outside.

I didn't say it was morally more correct, just that I don't have that much trouble sleeping over it if I know the owner is a millionaire and even after I got a free appetizer, he remains a millionaire.

But you might be righteously upset to know I recent ate a grape at the grocery store without paying for it.

I tip very well as long as the service is decent. I don't really frequent the same places often enough to get benefits from doing so... but I know how much it sucks to work for tips, so I figure that me giving them a nice tip makes their night slightly better, which in turn makes me feel good.

Tipping is stupid. And you rarely receive any benefit from it. And tipping a percentage of your bill doesn't make any sense

If you establish yourself as a good tipper at a bar, you'll usually get a drink or two taken off your tab--because the bartender knows you'll pay them back with a fat tip. The net result is you end up spending less than someone who tips like crap.

I used to work room service in hotels for a while in my 20's. My co worker brought up an order to a McDonalds Exec who was staying in the hotel and the exec who was in his 60's said " how much tip do you want" to my co worker, and my co worker said "tipping is optional, whatever you think I deserve", Exec said "how about 9 inches worth", and then tried to put $10 into my coworkers back pants pocket as he tried to leave the room.

That said, I normally tip above the normal 20%

9 inches and $10? I'm lovin it.

Back