BIG problem with running, help!

B

Banderlei-Silba

HI guys, I have an amateur fight coming up in 2.5 months and I started training for it about 2 weeks ago.

Now, I LOVE to run, did track in highschool and I enjoy running.

But, right now the weather in New York is brutal, I only have time to run in the mornings at 7:30-8:00 and its always very cold with high winds. My routine requires that I do running at least 4 times a week.

I dress real warm, drink lots of fluids and even run with my back to the wind when coming back from the sprints, and still I get very sick everytime I go to run outside.

I have all the motivation in the world to run but It kills me that I get sick everytime I go out running. What should I do?!?!?

Also, how the hell does Fedor and his boys go running in the brutal cold weather of russia with no shirts on!!!?!?! I dont get that, I mean I would probably die from that :)

sick as in catching a cold, as in having tremors and a fever, can sumone plz give me sum help?

over 2 minutes

You are a slut

Ian Coe, you are a professional fighter, so maybe you can gimme some help on this, what do you do for your running if the weather outside is brutally cold and you dont have access to an indoor gym?

You don't cool down outside do you? that'll get you sick just about everyime. I'm not sure if they will help you or not but somethings that may be usefull to you, warmup inside if you can, dress with layers so you can lose them if need be, try not to sweat too much being damp will get you sick more than being cold, wear a hat, invest in some compression clothes, and keep your feet warm and dry.

cool down as in slow run? What you mean by cool down?

I run sprints and after them my heart rate is pretty high so I jog about a quarter mile then I walk back.

How far is your walk back? maybe just jog back?

What i mean by cooling down outside is when your waiting for your heatrate to lower your body temperature drops down too, if you're sweaty and cold then you're at a far greater risk of getting sick. Usually this is only big if you stay outside for awhile after, but if your getting sick easily then i would minimize the time you're outside when sweaty and cooling down.

Drink more OJ. Really though, you shouldn't be getting sick like that if you're dressing properly. Definitely get inside ASAP after your run as Standard said.

Dress properly, buy a thermal undershirt, always wear a warm hat, and take a hot shower when you get back.

ok thanks guys, thats what I did this time today and Im waiting for the results. Hopefully I feel okay by 6 when im going to my gym for boxing training

Maybe see a doctor, and see if you have asthma, that is caused by the cold weather. I did, use an inhaler, when I run outdoors, and am fine after my runs.

ok thanks guys, thats what I did this time today and Im waiting for the results. Hopefully I feel okay by 6 when im going to my gym for boxing training

You may also (in addition to proper attire) need to let your lungs adjust to the cold air. How long have you been trying to run in the cold?

Ian Coe, you are a professional fighter, so maybe you can gimme some help on this, what do you do for your running if the weather outside is brutally cold and you dont have access to an indoor gym?

Define brutally cold mate

I started running in the mornings before the sun came out (damn you spring time for taking that away from me) and at some points without wind chill it was minus 5 *c.

I quite like it. Ran with a pair of shorts on, some thick hiking socks and a hoodie and a jacket over the top with the hood up and a cap on.
My running jacket is one of those 'fishermen wear these in the artic to keep warm' with the hood built in so that when its done up the hood is rigid on your head.

Dude you dont get "sick" as in a cold/flu because of the weather!

Its about viruses and bacteria. You catch it if a certain amount gets into your body (mostly trough eyes, nose, ears or something).

As long as you eat normal, sleep normal, and dont train to death your immune system will work 100% (and asuming you dont have any serious immune defiencesy (spelling, grammar) disease), but again, if a certain amount of bacteria/virus gets into your body youll get "sick". It doesnt matter if you run in chilly winds or not.

So what you need to do is not hang around sick people, not put your fingers in your eyes, ears or nose (as in scratching), and most importantly wash your hands regularly (as in several times during the day when you hang around different people).

I'm not sure if i can find it but i'm pretty sure that a decline in body temperature can actually significantly increase your chances of becoming sick.

Back