Big Man Judo Vs. Little Man Judo

as a small Judoka, the next smallest person at my place is 40 lbs heavier than me, i have to be alot quicker and alot crsiper with my technique otherwise i just get bulldogged around. I have to argue the foot sweeps thing on my part atleast other small guys may use them i don't mainly cause my timing is horrible.

What about medium guy judo? I wouldn't consider myself big at 185lbs, 5'10", but I definitely outweigh some of the people in my class. There are others who "dwarf" me. But, all-in-all, I'd say I'm about average. Of course, I'm still fairly new to the game, too, so I'm really not even sure what my judo is, yet.

Good post Dedicado, and I think I see what you're getting at.
In my mind I always think of it as "Mucker" vs "Traditionalist."

When I use mucker I don't mean someone just flailing around or spazzing. I'm talking about a highly technical fighter who does unusual wrestling influenced or maybe "Russian" looking judo. Again, to me a mucker has very technical abilities, they're just not standard in the box stuff. There's a lot of strength and power called upon. The mucker to me is your "Big Man" judo. Gill is in this category. I disagree with you that Yoshida falls into this category. To me, Yoshida was classical all the way.

The traditionalist is all about proper posture, movement, and flow. The throws look like clear and crisp judo throws. Classically trained, classical throws. Very little if any "wrestling." It's all about the flow. This is your "Little Man" judo. Inoue is here.

If you look at the judoka in MMA right now it's kind of interesting that some of the original guys have come from the traditionalist (small man) side of the line, like Yoshida and Takimoto. Even Ogawa and Nakamura.

That's why it was kind of hopeful to see Nastula get in the game (even though his conditioning let us down): he is a mucker (big man) judoka. Power, unusual wrestling influenced moves, good ground game. Nastula was really the first (unless you count Fedor) guy with this kind of judo game to step into the ring.

To me Karo is a tweener, falling somewhere in between your big man (mucker) and small man (traditionalist). I say that only because he does classical throws in the cage: ippon seoi nage, maki komi, sumi gaeshi. He doesn't look like a wrestler, he looks like a judoka. He also, though, is able to muck around when he needs to, and does some ugly stuff if that's what it takes.

Hi, my name is Bubble Boy, and I'm a judoholic.

There's a whitebelt at our club who gets away with a lot of really shitty technique because of his strength and size. He's about 6'2" and around 230-240 so despite his technique flaws he still has an easy time muscling guys to the ground.

For some reason though, he likes to walk around giving everyone pointers while we're drilling.

Back