Bicep/Calf Slicers

I broke my radiaql bone in a match. I shoot for a double passed most of the way except for my arm got caught thought I could escape put my knee on his belly and pulled then the bone broke first thing I thought and I kid you not is I wonder why his shoe lace snapped then the searing pain hit

goddamn. it was a biceps slicer right?

That sucks man. When was that? How is it now?

That was a couple years ago. Yes it was a bicep slicer. They ended up cutting my arm and puting in screws. THe bone itself is completely fine but I have wrist pain from it that (I'm self diagnosing myself now) feels like carpial tunnel syndrom. MY only explanation is the force of the break must have traveled down my arm to the wrist. It actually only bothers my when I write mostly. Sometimes when I am on the focus mitts. But it dosen't bother me grappling at all. THe thing that sucked was it was the summer beforeI started law school so I spent most of the first semester tping stuff out one handed.

On the bright side I have not been caught in a bicep slicer in tournament since drilled that escape a few thosand times after that.

are bicep slicers aloud in mma matches? i've never heard any rules against it but i can only assume it would be?

are bicep slicers aloud in mma matches? i've never heard any rules against it but i can only assume it would be?

they probably are, but would be incredibly difficult to finish in mma, especially when it's fairly easy to pull out or punch from that position, nobody is going to hold onto it long enough for a tap or break.

Dangerous, yes. but still nowhere near as bad as heel hooks. I could deal with a broken arm (but would rather not, of course). However, torn up knee ligaments and meniscii are a whole different matter.

calf slicers i imagine could rupture your quadriceps tendon and pop the knee out with enough pressure

Dangerous, yes. but still nowhere near as bad as heel hooks. I could deal with a broken arm (but would rather not, of course). However, torn up knee ligaments and meniscii are a whole different matter.

calf slicers i imagine could rupture your quadriceps tendon and pop the knee out with enough pressure

For some reason, the thought of a compound fracture causing bicep slicer is much worse than a quad ripping calf slicer.

Calf slicers cause more trouble, but Bicep slicers just have a more gruesome image IMO.

They should be legal. The reason moves are banned is because there is no time to tap. I can not think of a move that gives you more time to tap than a bicep slicer.:mad: Seriously, there is a good chance if you get your arm broken you deserved it.

-edited-

No you couldn't. With a regular armbar you can tell something is going to snap or break, with a bicep slicer you just feel pain in your bicep and then SNAP your forearm breaks because of the pressure. You are pretty fucking stupid to try and compare the two.

what is so confusing about a bicep slicer causing damage? you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know your arm is in serious danger. you have to be pretty fucking stupid to not tap to a submission. put the hookah down and think about it. an experienced grappler above all people should know when to tap.

my comparison is fine, buddy.

It's obvious from this thread that people don't understand the issue here. While heel hooks can potentially be very dangerous, there are more viable escapes and people also tap quicker knowing the inherent danger, with the bicep slicer, there aren't too many reliable escapes, and for those who aren't familiar with it, they might just try and "tough it out" because they don't understand the damage it can cause, they don't understand it's not so much damaging to their bicep but to their forearm.

bicep slicers hurt like crazy. thats all I know.

Amen to that. I got caught in one when I was brand new and didn't even know what the hell it was.

I remember thinking "well this is a strange position..... OUCH WHAT THE FUCK!!"

It should be the responsibility of both the student and the teacher to learn ALL techniques before entering a competition! Again, just my humble opinion!

And how long do you estimate it takes to "learn ALL techniques?"

these are allowed in advanced nogi and brown and black at alot of tournaments

you can break somebody's arm with a bicep slicer, and I mean the bone because of the pressure. i don't know why calf slicers are illegal.

I think this is how Mikey Triangles broke his arm, isn't it?

That was a couple years ago. Yes it was a bicep slicer. They ended up cutting my arm and puting in screws. THe bone itself is completely fine but I have wrist pain from it that (I'm self diagnosing myself now) feels like carpial tunnel syndrom. MY only explanation is the force of the break must have traveled down my arm to the wrist. It actually only bothers my when I write mostly. Sometimes when I am on the focus mitts. But it dosen't bother me grappling at all. THe thing that sucked was it was the summer beforeI started law school so I spent most of the first semester tping stuff out one handed.

On the bright side I have not been caught in a bicep slicer in tournament since drilled that escape a few thosand times after that.

damn, break your arm and start law school in the same year? bad year imo :) So its your last year now? Im about to start my last year as well and I cant wait to finish.

I don't use bicep slicers in training, they seem dickish, but the other day I had a large fellow attempting all kinds of leglock on me so I gave him a nice calf crank, I like calf cranks and will use them in training, because

A> they are fun.
and
B> I feel you are much less likely to get hurt in a calf crank.

no bicep slicers for me though.

Back