Beta-Alanine "The Next Creatine"

So i finally got my order from BulkNutrition yesterday...Thanks Ian!
Man...I was tingling all over the place and did have alot more energy. After I lifted, I had to go on my elliptical for awhile. Good shit so far.
I can't remember what I did but...umm...nps

The invoice is in the mail :icon_chee

Note that BA isn't a stimulant and you were most likely feeling 'mentally pumped' rather then the effect of the actual BA (read: placebo effect).

I can't remember what I did but...umm...nps

The invoice is in the mail :icon_chee

Note that BA isn't a stimulant and you were most likely feeling 'mentally pumped' rather then the effect of the actual BA (read: placebo effect).

You had posted a link to the BA and I decided to order from there instead of somewhere else.
the energy...maybe placebo. the tingling...hell no. I was feeling that shit all over my body. So did someone else I just gave it to and I didnt even tell him about it and he doesnt know anything about BA.

You had posted a link to the BA and I decided to order from there instead of somewhere else.
the energy...maybe placebo. the tingling...hell no. I was feeling that shit all over my body. So did someone else I just gave it to and I didnt even tell him about it and he doesnt know anything about BA.

No, the tingling is expected due to up take by the receptors.

It doesn't means it's necessarily working (or on the other view point, if you're not getting the tingles it doesn't mean it's not working).

ABSTRACT

Purpose: Recent research has shown that chronic dietary β-alanine (βALA) supplementation increases muscle carnosine content, which is associated with better performance in short (1-2 min) maximal exercise. Success in endurance competitions often depends on a final sprint. However, whether βALA can be ergogenic in sprint performance at the end of an endurance competition is at present unknown. Therefore, we investigated the effect of 8-wk βALA administration in moderately to well-trained cyclists on sprint performance at the end of a simulated endurance cycling race.
Methods: A double-blind study was performed, which consisted of two experimental test sessions interspersed by an 8-wk βALA (2-4 g

ABSTRACT

Purpose: Recent research has shown that chronic dietary β-alanine (βALA) supplementation increases muscle carnosine content, which is associated with better performance in short (1-2 min) maximal exercise. Success in endurance competitions often depends on a final sprint. However, whether βALA can be ergogenic in sprint performance at the end of an endurance competition is at present unknown. Therefore, we investigated the effect of 8-wk βALA administration in moderately to well-trained cyclists on sprint performance at the end of a simulated endurance cycling race.
Methods: A double-blind study was performed, which consisted of two experimental test sessions interspersed by an 8-wk βALA (2-4 g

Are people still doubting B/A? I even had a discussion with Rjkd12 about it because he wrote a paper almost disqualifying it. (If I've posted this already, forgive me, I get hit in the head a lot these days and may have forgotten.)

Basically he had the same findings as what went down with the N/O products. That particularly athletes already have sufficient carnosine levels and adding something to boost carnosine wouldn't make a difference in endurance. This was upon review of what studies he had access to.

Here's a pretty funny excerpt of that conversation and how it ended:

[09:59] Ryan: So. Non athletes definitely benefit from taking BA when doing exercises that stress the pH buffering of muscle.
[09:59] Ryan: Very high intesity stuff.
[10:00] Ryan: And a group of athletes who took BA, sprinters, saw an increase in carnosine, and they had an increase in this leg extension exercise meant to challenge the pH buffering capacity of their muscle.
[10:01] Ryan: the control and BA group did the same on the first two sets, but sets 3-5 the BA group could squeeze out a few more reps.
[10:01] Ryan: But when they had those same athletes sprint, there was no advantage.
[10:01] Ryan: So. In a trained athlete, their muscles already have enough carnosine to buffer pH changes in their respective activity.
[10:02] Ryan: They most likely won't benefit.
[10:02] Ryan: But if an athlete does a different exercise or rapidly alters their routine, they may benefit. Also, an athlete coming off of a layoff or a sedentary person just starting could benefit.
[10:02] Ryan: But a guy in full gear alread working out for a few months likely won't benefit at all.
[10:03] Me: Hmm, but wouldn't the buffering effect be more beneficial to endurance athletes? What I read suggested that duration of exercise might create a variation, because wouldn't Ph levels vary over time? I took BA, and definitely noticed a differentce, and don't usually change my routine drastically. But my workouts aren't small concentrated efforts. They're pretty long.
[10:05] Ryan: well
[10:05] Ryan: athletes are almost always a step ahead of scientists.
[10:05] Me: lol
[10:05] Ryan: seriously
[10:05] Ryan: that wasn't a joke. haha
[10:05] Me: Yes Ryan, I am always a step ahead of you.
[10:06] Ryan: arnold knew what movements the biceps did prior to a biomechanist guy
[10:06] Ryan: no
[10:06] Ryan: i will crush you
[10:06] Ryan: but, you know more about what works for your body than I do

No, you hadn't posted that yet, and I was curious as to what RJ had found. There seems to be enough empirical evidence that BA works, but I do believe there is something to the effect of BA in sedentary individuals and trained individuals.

If through training we maximize carnosine levels, then really, how much will BA help a trained athlete? Does training alone top out our skeletal muscle carnosine levels, or does BA maximize, or actually increase, this level? I don't know. I know personally it hasn't been the ergogenic I hoped it would, and I'll probably remove it from my supplements to test this on myself.

I actually stopped taking BA a long time ago. I think there's something to BA and I think for certain sports, it may be worth while to take but I'm a bit on the fence about it myself. There are some mixed studies. The bad part is that I don't know of any BA study that wasn't funded by supplement companies and EAS (or who ever their parent company is nowadays) seems to fund a lot of them. We don't have the independent mountain of proof that we have with creatine. Only time will tell if BA truly lives up to the hype or not, in my opinion.

I personally didn't notice anything from BA supplementation and I used it for probably at least 6 months. To be honest though, I didn't expect to notice anything. Most things like this require some actual type of measurement to see the results. I think it's hard to "feel" stronger in your 10th sprint or whatever.

I think what both he and I agreed to in the end is that it's sport specific, and time duration specific. My workouts for Boxing are vastly different than say a guy lifting weights for vanity, or even for a strength athlete's regimen would be. Muscle endurance is the most important thing to me, so that threshold is pushed from the moment I do my runs in the morning, to the Gym work later in the morning, to the conditioning done in the evenings.

Because for B/A to be beneficial, you have to stress to the point where elevated carnosine levels are necessary.

just curious what BA product should I get?

I am well past convinced that it works, I was just curious what you vets use?

ABSTRACT

`so if i plan on doing ~2 hours of jits and ~2 hours of boxing per day, when do i want to take it?

or should i just take it before lifting

`so if i plan on doing ~2 hours of jits and ~2 hours of boxing per day, when do i want to take it?

myself (and a few other guys i believe) just resorted to taking it before bed because there were no pre workout benefits I believe and personally, it also helps me sleep better.

Take it PWO and/or prior to bed. It causes parasympathetic stimulation, which is not really cool preWO. I've never found an actual citation on that---that was quoted by Dave Barr. For me, it caused some fairly acute nausea (and actual vomiting, once) and pallor. PWO and before bed it causes none of this, and if it does indeed increase parasympathetic tone, it enhances recovery and sleeping. I do roughly 4g PWO, and 2g pre-bed.

anaconda said:
Nice....so how much were they taking?

Can you convert "8-wk βALA (2-4 g

I read that as 2-4g a day, taken in one dose, in 9 subjects.

Thanks...thats what I assumed, but its nice to be sure. the n=9 threw me off.

personally, I take 4-5g before bed, which is typically an hour or two pwo anyway.

Do you guys just do it PWO and before bed?

or Do you also do it on non training days?

I take ~2 gm PWO & ~2 gm before bed. Only before bed on non-training days.

Back