best way to start mma

j_johl

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what the best way to get into mma was, if it was better to start with one style and then later add more or to train all of them at once would really appreciate the help.

I was wondering what the best way to get into mma was, if it was better to start with one style and then later add more or to train all of them at once would really appreciate the help.

I think it's best to kinda "split it up" between different disciplines throughout the week so you can get a strong base in each, then put it together a couple times a week...something like:

M/W: Pure striking days (like MT or Boxing)
T/Tr: Pure grappling days (like a day of takedowns and a day of sub grappling or BJJ)
F/Sat: MMA (Put it all together)

I think it's really hard when you're doing just MMA every day to really become strong in every phase of combat and you kinda become a "jack of all trades, master of none"...and you're well-rounded...but then you go against a guy who's also decently well-rounded, but then he's got a pretty strong base in boxing or something and you can get raped at it...

from my experience most MMA gyms will actually have a MMA class and then typically break apart singular disciplines into different classes.

Back