Best unknown guitarist?

• Thread starter Deleted member 196663
  • Start date
I would change the title if I could. I just wanted an excuse to share his music.

If Steve Vai counts as unknown, then I guess that opens up almost the whole board.

At any rate, Satriani and Eric Johnson and Yngwie then enter the field.

But I think these guys are "unknown" to music fans today, the way Dan Severn and Mark Kerr would be unknown to new casual MMA fans...

These guys are hardcore legends.

But then again, how many people that watch UFC today really know who Mark Kerr is?

I just kind of feel like you can call everyone except Slash and Jimmy Page unknown if you want...and given the focus on lead singers, that unfortunately might be correct...

Here's my vote for an unknown from the annals of rock history...

Sergio Galli from Platinum Blonde

I always liked the guy from days of the new not sure what his name is or if he's well known

Gary Moore(feels strange saying he's unknown, but I doubt most people know him), Mats Haugen, Paul Gilbert, Johan Reinholdz, Thomas Youngblood, Mark Morton, Willie Adler, Greg Howe, Gus G, Rob Chapman, Travis Burke, Paul Masvidal, Rusty Cooley, Tosin Abasi, Al Di Meola, Muhammed Suicmez, Jeff Loomis, Michael Ammot, Mikael Akerfelt, Luke Hoskin, Criss Oliva, Jari Maenpaa.

These are all my favorites.

Last edited:
[EDIT] Excuse the poor title. I'm just sharing videos of a guitarist that I think are truly amazing.

Mariusz Goli. Check out his videos. My current favorite...

His most popular vid

I've seen alot of this guy, he's fantastic.

Gary Moore(feels strange saying he's unknown, but I doubt most people know him), Mats Haugen, Paul Gilbert, Johan Reinholdz, Thomas Youngblood, Mark Morton, Willie Adler, Greg Howe, Gus G, Rob Chapman, Travis Burke, Paul Masvidal, Rusty Cooley, Tosin Abasi, Al Di Meola, Muhammed Suicmez, Jeff Loomis, Michael Ammot, Mikael Akerfelt, Luke Hoskin, Criss Oliva, Jari Maenpaa.

These are all my favorites.

Appreciated Paul Gilbert's work for a while.

If we're going with "not known by the public at large", I'd have to say Robert Fripp, Adrian Belew, Guthrie Govan, Django was mentioned earlier, Tommy Emmanuel appears largely unknown as well, Stochelo Rosenberg is brilliant. Joe Bonamassa is relatively unknown as well I think.

Gonna rep a couple of Canadian guys.

* Dave Martone: He's Canada's Sat/Vai. He's toured with them and many other guitar greats, friends with them, does master clinics all over the world, endorses Parker guitars, etc. A bass player I work with quite a bit used to play in his band and said Dave is a scary scary player. Another fun fact is Daniel Adair, Nickelback's drummer plays in Dave's group when he's not on tour with them. I hate Nickelback but Adair is a LEGIT drummer.

* Dave Ziemba: Dave's long played in a cool ska/punk/funk band out of Canada called The Salads. I saw these guys at a small club years ago and at first didn't think much of him. He looked like this little skater kid playing straight forward ska parts...nothing special. BUT then about the third song into their set he blazed the most amazing solo, it was like crazy Vai shit out of nowhere. He had my attention. Through out the rest of their show he'd bust out some uber prog solo's, I think just to fuck with people lol. He's super funny...oh he studied at GIT.

Estas Tonne. Thanks for sharing this guy, he needs to record an album.

Back