Best unknown guitarist?

• Thread starter Deleted member 196663
  • Start date
If I told you, you'd know them.

tom-cruise-sunglasses.gif

Michael Angelo Batio

Last edited:
That guy Dave Martone is indeed amazing, and I'd never heard of him.

Here's a clip of Kent Carlevi playing what may be my all-time favorite electric guitar cover. Flawless. The amount of control and infinitesimal variation in tonal/rhythmic expression is something you almost never see on an electric guitar.

There are lots of guys who play super fast, but playing at this level of quality ... surreal.

i used to be more impressed with very technical players, but i am now more impressed with players that can write memorable and creative music on the guitar. so having said that, i'll say moraito chico. here's one of his songs:

and here's one of him live:

Another lesser known guy, duwayne Burnside. Son of blues legend rl Burnside, seems to not really play much outside of Mississippi. Saw him once in Chicago and dude shreds like a combination of jimi Hendrix and Stevie ray Vaughan. Wish he'd come back here

Two of my favorites that are probably more well-known than most on this list yet most people I talk to have never heard of these guys.

i know this one guy who works at guitar center. totally shreds.

Carlos Alomar.

He collaborated with a lot of solo musicians, so he wasn't a "band member "and probably less known in general. Most famously, he was on a number of Bowie's best albums. Very distinctive style.

Here he is with Iggy Pop and David Bowie.

If we're stretching the use of "Unknown," which people already have, I have to say Frank Zappa. Name might be known, but he never had a top 10 single or album( I don't think) and isn't a regular on any classic rock stations I know.

While he did make some 3 minute pop rock songs, he also made a lot of experimental, Jazz influenced 15 minute songs, which aren't going to get mainstream play. And even composed classical music with orchestras. When people talk of best guitarists ever, and they name the usual dime a dozen with their usual bag of tricks, it's a shame.

Here is a more "Standard" rock composition, with Captain Beefheart.

Here is a beautiful Jazz Fusion one.( Zappa composed an arranged this all himself...has about 20 musicians)

...oops that is the full album. Oh well. Song I meant was the first one anyway, and the whole album is great.

Here are two of his own favorite guitar pieces...

Back