Best TUF contestant ever?

Right now, it's Rashad standing head and shoulders above the rest. In the next five years or so? I'm on board the Mini Cain train. Gastelum has the potential to be the best TUF-er to come off the show. Now I hope he turns that potential into skill.

Rashad is the easy number 1. Having Diaz and Brown over Griffin is a travesty. Serra is also a high mention, but giving the unusual nature of Season 4, it's hard to say where he should end up.

If we look at it from a numbers game, Rashad, Forrest, and Serra became champs. Diaz, Florian, Dodson, Koscheck, Cote and Sanchez all fought for the belt, and Dillashaw is on his way. Gastelum shows a lot of promise, but I won't bite until he beats a guy in the top 10. Bisping, Big Country, and Brown have done well for themselves, but have yet to win against a top 10 fighter either. Bonnar gets a slight reference as honorable mention.

So if I had to make a list, it would be 1. Rashad, 2. Forrest, 3. Serra, with 4-10 some mix of the other mentioned fighters outside of Bonnar/Cote/Gastelum/Brown. Bisping gets the nod over Brown in my book based solely on strength of schedule, even though he lost all of his bigger fights. Also, Serra could drop to 4 and switch with maybe Florian, Koscheck, or Sanchez.

If I missed a TUF fighter/winner who fits into the above categories, I apologize.

Excellent points, the only issue I have is tossing Roy in there. I think Big Country should be exempt from this discussion because he had already achieved success before TUF. Also...I think we can all agree he didn't belong on the show, nor were any of his opponents even in the same league.

Roy easily had the smoothest road through TUF to the UFC.

I don't think you can put Matt Brown above Forrest. Once he has a belt maybe but until then Rashad then Forrest. Both won the belt but neither defended it and of course Rashad took the gold from Forrest.

But yeah nobody else gets into the top 2 picture until they get that strap around their waist.

Gastelum could be on the top 3, but right now rashad

Excellent points, the only issue I have is tossing Roy in there. I think Big Country should be exempt from this discussion because he had already achieved success before TUF. Also...I think we can all agree he didn't belong on the show, nor were any of his opponents even in the same league.

Roy easily had the smoothest road through TUF to the UFC.

I can agree with this point if we consider it as the best fighter that TUF has "made," or "produced." In that case, Serra also might count. If we're looking at it as who has gotten into the house and competed, then I think he definitely needs to be considered, regardless as to his prior career.

With Rashad beating Forrest head-to-head and subsequently making him run out of the cage crying, you can't put Forrest in a tie or better with Rashad.

Did Forrest cry after the Rashad fight? I thought that was just the Silva fight

There have been some truly magnificent talents pass through the TUF household over the years but who's gone on to become the best? My list goes as:

1. Rashad Evans
2. Matt Brown
3. Nate Diaz
4. Forrest Griffin
5. Michael Bisping
6. Kelvin Gastelum
7. Big Country
8. Matt Serra
9. Kenny Florian
10. Diego Sanchez

I hope those aren't in any order because if so that is a pretty bad list order wise...

I'd go with:

1) Evans (Very good winning record and title contender)
2) Forrest (Former Champion and wins over top fighters in the division)
3) Florian (Wins over top contenders and mutliple title contentions in different weight classes)
4) Diaz (Wins over top contenders and one title fight)
5) Maynard (Wins over top competition and multiple title shots)
6) Koschek (top of the division for a long time and multiple title shots)
7) Bisping (Solid gatekeeper and consistently up there for title contention)
8) Diego Sanchez (Consistently at the top of the division, title shot)
9) Joe Stevenson (top of the division for a long time, title shot)
10) Joe Lauzon (Consistent fighter, multiple bonus winner, brings the fight win lose or draw)

Your list is solid if it is in random order but still I think you are a little in the present and forgetting about the past. I don't agree with having Brown Nelson and Gastelum in there. Yes they are still relevant but there have been fighters that have retired or are not in the UFC that have accomplished way more during their careers. Yes they have been impressive as of late and have had less time to show what they have but Gastelum and Brown have yet to have a top ten win and Nelson shows no signs of getting a title shot. Just my personal opinion on the topic.

While on TUF I would say Bisping or Rashad.
As far as they've achieved?
Rashad.

Underdog in almost every fight, won the belt, has stayed at the top of his division for a long time.

I can agree with this point if we consider it as the best fighter that TUF has "made," or "produced." In that case, Serra also might count. If we're looking at it as who has gotten into the house and competed, then I think he definitely needs to be considered, regardless as to his prior career.

Fair point, but it's worth mentioning that Serra came off of a comebacks season. That was his second run with the UFC iirc. Roy, on the other hand, had been a blip on the radar for quite some time. Granted he was made to go through TUF simply because Dana doesn't like him, but you can't honestly say there was anyone on that season who was a legit threat to Roy. He was the equivalent of a collegiate wrestler competing against highschoolers.

Did Forrest cry after the Rashad fight? I thought that was just the Silva fight

He also cried after the Jardine fight.

As for your list, one guy who I think has really been overlooked since his time on TUF is Tony Ferguson. He was easily the best fighter in the house that season, and has done really well in the UFC so far, aside from losing one fight where he broke his arm in the first round. I'm not saying he should be on a top 10 list just yet, but if you're including guys like Gastelum based solely on their potential, I don't think Ferguson is too far off. If he beats Kikuno this month, hopefully the UFC will give him a bigger-name opponent next, since other than Yves Edwards (whom he beat via decision), all of his UFC victories have come via pretty spectacular first-round finishes.

Last edited:
Fair point, but it's worth mentioning that Serra came off of a comebacks season. That was his second run with the UFC iirc. Roy, on the other hand, had been a blip on the radar for quite some time. Granted he was made to go through TUF simply because Dana doesn't like him, but you can't honestly say there was anyone on that season who was a legit threat to Roy. He was the equivalent of a collegiate wrestler competing against highschoolers.

Completely agree he had way too much experience and was too high name a fighter to have to go through TUF, but unlike Dana with Tito in the hall of fame, we can't rewrite history haha. I'll admit that wherever he falls it deserves an asterisk. That's what makes Serra and Nelson so hard to rank in comparison to the rest of the TUF guys. Their careers pre- and post-TUF are so different than anyone else that it's almost comparing apples to oranges.

There have been some truly magnificent talents pass through the TUF household over the years but who's gone on to become the best? My list goes as:

1. Rashad Evans
2. Matt Brown
3. Nate Diaz
4. Forrest Griffin
5. Michael Bisping
6. Kelvin Gastelum
7. Big Country
8. Matt Serra
9. Kenny Florian
10. Diego Sanchez

what no Brendan????

Jason Thacker, Wayne Weems and Brendan Schaub.

1. Rashad Evans
2. Matt Brown
3. Nate Diaz
4. Forrest Griffin
5. Michael Bisping
6. Kelvin Gastelum
7. Big Country
8. Matt Serra
9. Kenny Florian
10. Diego Sanchez

Whoa whoa whoa, slow your roll, captain. I've been on the Matt Brown war wagon for as long as I can remember but he absolutely should not be ranked that high. By default, Rashad and Forrest are 1 and 2 respectively; they won championship belts. Kenny Florian fought three times for gold and Nate Diaz and Diego have fought once apiece. Given current rank, quality of opposition and evolution of skillset, Nate wins out over Diego but I'll accept arguments to the contrary. Regardless, those are the top 5: Rashad, Forrest, Kenny, Nate, Diego. After that it gets interesting. I'd actually stick Matt Brown over Bisping and Nelson. I'd then throw Bader in there. As of late, Michael Johnson and Myles Jury look like beasts as well and who knows how far Gastelum can go.

PS I'm not counting Serra due to his already being a longtime UFC vet as well as TUF 4's unique format.

I hope those aren't in any order because if so that is a pretty bad list order wise...

I'd go with:

1) Evans (Very good winning record and title contender)
2) Forrest (Former Champion and wins over top fighters in the division)
3) Florian (Wins over top contenders and mutliple title contentions in different weight classes)
4) Diaz (Wins over top contenders and one title fight)
5) Maynard (Wins over top competition and multiple title shots)
6) Koschek (top of the division for a long time and multiple title shots)
7) Bisping (Solid gatekeeper and consistently up there for title contention)
8) Diego Sanchez (Consistently at the top of the division, title shot)
9) Joe Stevenson (top of the division for a long time, title shot)
10) Joe Lauzon (Consistent fighter, multiple bonus winner, brings the fight win lose or draw)

Your list is solid if it is in random order but still I think you are a little in the present and forgetting about the past. I don't agree with having Brown Nelson and Gastelum in there. Yes they are still relevant but there have been fighters that have retired or are not in the UFC that have accomplished way more during their careers. Yes they have been impressive as of late and have had less time to show what they have but Gastelum and Brown have yet to have a top ten win and Nelson shows no signs of getting a title shot. Just my personal opinion on the topic.

Evans was actually champion, bro.

and Kos only had one title shot.

:p

LOL at Matt Brown at #2. Nate Diaz at 3? Why are people still overrating the hell out of Nelson? He's 7-5 in the UFC's paperthin HW division. WTF are you smoking?

1. Rashad Evans
2. Forrest Griffin
3. Gray Maynard
4. Josh Koscheck
5. Matt Serra
6. Kenny Florian
7. Ryan Bader
8. Michael Bisping
9. Myles Jury
10. Diego Sanchez
11. Matt Hamill
12. Nate Diaz
13. Chris Lytle
14. Matt Brown
15. Michael Johnson
16. Joe Lauzon
17. John Dodson
18. Brad Tavares
19. TJ Dillashaw
20. Roy Nelson

Something like that. Too early on Gastelum. How did everyone forget Gray Maynard? He's faded away now, but he was a beast. 1-1-1 with Edgar, and probably should be 2-1 with a title under his belt (that fight could have been stopped like 3 times).

Last edited:
As for your list, one guy who I think has really been overlooked since his time on TUF is Tony Ferguson. He was easily the best fighter in the house that season, and has done really well in the UFC so far, aside from losing one fight where he broke his arm in the first round. I'm not saying he should be on a top 10 list just yet, but if you're including guys like Gastelum based solely on their potential, I don't think Ferguson is too far off. If he beats Kikuno this month, hopefully the UFC will give him a bigger-name opponent next, since other than Yves Edwards (whom he beat via decision), all of his UFC victories have come via pretty spectacular first-round finishes.

I like Ferguson, but he doesn't have the resume yet. He's 4-1 in the UFC and doesn't have much quality outside of it. The loss to Johnson set him back a bit.

Back