best time to shoot for a double?

double are overrated and take alot of energy. Learn some inside tie-ups, ankle picks, and arm drags.

I was told that the best time to shoot a double was when your opponent is stepping backwards. This was in MMA class though, but I'm pretty sure the same holds true for pure grappling.

I was also told to set the double up with a striking combination to make your opponent pedal backward, then immediately shoot.

In wrestling you'll rarely catch a guy moving straight backwards, I assume the same is true for BJJ. Most guys are always going to circle and move laterally, not straight backwards. Boxing, even though its on the opposite side of the combat sports spectrum, is the same way.

I like the blind person "with out a dog" one it made me smile! Thank you !!

@ 2:35 of this video, Shane Rice performs a technical lift from under half guard, clinches and shoots in for a double.

YouTube - Daniel vs Shane Rice

I have totally swiped this series. It is the only time I really shoot for a double. I try to avoid the clinch altogether. Just perform the technical lift and shoot in straight away since the guy will usually be coming forward.

when your opponent is pressuring forward on you. pop him up and drop your level. you'll get in %70 of the time, but the real question is if you can finish the double.

If you're just trying to time a double, the best time is when he reaches to tie up. His center of gravity is off-balance and his arms are pretty much out of the way for him to post on your head with to defend the shot. Just pop his arms up higher and the double is there on a silver platter.

If you're setting it up, then you can use my favorite setup method. Use a collar/elbow or plum grip on their neck and snap down. If they go down, hey, free headlock. If they don't go down, odds are they pop right back up. When they pop up, take your penetrating step and shoot. They are wicked off balance at that time and it's easy to get them down, even on a shitty double.

My personal favorite way to double in general is to just grab a snatch single from the clinch and just switch off to a double before the finish.

But, like the above said, the problem is usually not landing the double, it's finishing. Make sure to cut the corner properly or else he will just sprawl out all day. Push with your head/upper body to one side and drive hard. It's really hard to sprawl sideways, haha.

Back