Best Technical Takedowns

like a few guys said, ankle pick and single leg are the best examples that require the least power.

guys who think that power is more important than technique in wrestling are insane. the wrestling coach at my university is over 60 and can manhandle everyone like dolls using pure technique. just because the technique is probably more simple does not make it any less important. that said, power certainly helps - just as it does in any sport.

My favorite throw is..
well its a combination actualy.

Set up with Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi and then when they begin to defend switch to Osoto Gari.... Works every time:)

get an overhook (ex. your left arm) and underhook (right arm), push into your opponent, then just fall back on your ass (more of a roll) and using your underhook (r.arm) rotate you opponent (counter clockwise motion). you end up in side control, or if you're fast throw your leg over with the rotation and you might get mount. dunno if i described it too well, but its one of my fav takedowns, not much effort, athleticism, or strenght involved. just redirecting they're force.

Sasae tsuri komi ashi is a good throw to learn, as is De ashi Barai, o ouchi gari o soto gari, are all very simple and are tought at the begining.

^^^that depends on how good you are at it. cael sanderson uses anklepicks as his bread and butter moves.

Cael Sanderson is also insanely good at ankle picks. I read somewhere that the guy can shoot like six inches off the ground. But I do agree, ankle picks can work very well for tall lanky guys. If you hold on to the back of the neck while doing an ankle pick you fold your opponent in half and knock him over at the same time.

Back