Best Technical Takedowns

wildcard_seven

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Alright. Enough of the crap. We've heard it all before. Judo is better than wrestling, wrestling is better than judo, single and double are the most hi percentage. Ok. whatever. Here is what I want:

What are the most technical takedowns, ie: do not require great athleticism to pull off consistently. Whether they be judo, wrestling or san shou-list them all. I am tall, and I am not particularly fast or explosive so a freakin' double leg isn't going to work, nor do I have 10 yrs. to become a top judoka and then adapt my skills to no gi. So what will work? What are skillful takedowns that can be relied on, simple enough to apply after a few months work-and key, key-don't require you to be a stubby double-legging little bastard or judo guru? BREAD AND BUTTER takedowns for the average man, with an average training schedule. Also, don't turn this post into a critique on takedowns, my request, whatever, just list your takedowns.

Wrestling requires more power.

Judo is more focused on technique.

Therefore, Judo is more technical.

Simple but good throws you can learn in a short amount of time are Sweeps, Hiza Gururma, HaraiGoshi, O Soto Gari, ouchi gari, ko uchi gari and possibly an Uchi-mata. (http://www.judoinfo.com to see the moves)

Take Judo, then if you want, get Karo's Judo for MMA dvd's if you want to know all the proper grips for no gi Judo.

The throws that take the least amount of effort are ashi-waza or foot sweeps. They rely a great deal on timing, and require much less strength or power than hip or leg throws. I dare say skill here is secondary to perfect timing. Excellent against bigger/slower players.

Other simple throws that dont take a lot of time to learn are hip throws where the arm goes around the waist - like o-goshi, uki-goshi, tsurikomi-goshi etc.

Throws you tend to learn first, like osotogari are good for kids, but need to be "re-learned" for competition as they are more difficult than you think.

Hizaguruma and sasae can also be strong ones - relatively simple especially if you use them at the right time (when your opponent is moving circularly to your left or right such as when manoevred into the corner of the mat area & are trying to "escape" back to the middle or the mat to avoid red area penalties.

Bmonk said:
Wrestling requires more power.

Judo is more focused on technique.

Therefore, Judo is more technical.

Simple but good throws you can learn in a short amount of time are Sweeps, Hiza Gururma, HaraiGoshi, O Soto Gari, ouchi gari, ko uchi gari and possibly an Uchi-mata. (http://www.judoinfo.com to see the moves)

Take Judo, then if you want, get Karo's Judo for MMA dvd's if you want to know all the proper grips for no gi Judo.

Have you seen Karo's dvd? Is it any good?

phenomfan1529 said:
Have you seen Karo's dvd? Is it any good?

They're actually really good. He goes over every move with a lot of detail. He also goes over contingency plans incase the move you're trying doesn't work. He also shows how to go from throw to submission.

The only downside is that he sometimes wastes time by repeating the same thing over and over.

this thread is retarded

learn a double leg, the guy stuffs it, then what, you gotta learn the defence, he postures or twists, you learn what to do and you attack with another move.

Instead of learning one takedown you should commit to learning an interlinking set of takedowns, the only way you'll do that is if you go to wrestling or judo or even bjj if your instructor is good enough.

Bmonk said:
They're actually really good. He goes over every move with a lot of detail. He also goes over contingency plans incase the move you're trying doesn't work. He also shows how to go from throw to submission.

The only downside is that he sometimes wastes time by repeating the same thing over and over.

thanks for the tip, i think im gonna check in to it

try a bear hug type of take down. if you're in close in the clinch and you can get both arms around the guys waist then you just pull the boney part of your wrist against his low back. Or if you can get off to the side a little it works better. Very simple, very effective if you're in close. And very high percentage. It's a bit of a "man handling" type of technique, not flashy, but it works.

also, another good one that is very simple, and high percentage, but goes into the "man handler" techniques is the muay thai clinch, then from there you can yank the guys head down into front head control on all fours and then scoot around behind him. I can make these work almost all the time if i'm feeling lazy.

Ankle pics can be ridiculously easy, drop to your knees, grab a heel and fall forward. I dunno how it can get much simpler than that.

I think it's a misconception that wrestling requires strength and athleticism. Sure it helps like in any other facet of grappling, but if you've had a chance to train with any D1 or other high level wrestlers, you'll know that the takedown game really is a technical game. If you have a chance, train with Javier Vazquez, that guy is technical as it gets when it comes to teaching wrestling.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

^^^green whale is right, technique>strength in wrestling too

Tall skinny guy throws: Uchi-Mata. This is the king for tall dudes cuz your legs are so ong, generally speaking. Harai-Goshi is good too, again cuz you leg length makes it hard to get away. Thes throws work best with a gi, but they can be worked for No-Gi as well. Still, you should at least try to drill the double and single, as this gives you an up/down game that many won't expect from a tall man.

Sauron said:
this thread is retarded

learn a double leg, the guy stuffs it, then what, you gotta learn the defence, he postures or twists, you learn what to do and you attack with another move.

Instead of learning one takedown you should commit to learning an interlinking set of takedowns, the only way you'll do that is if you go to wrestling or judo or even bjj if your instructor is good enough.

he said he doesnt have time for all of that, imo the easiest throws to learn are the leg sweeps in judo Harai-Goshi and O Soto

I don't know how far you're going to get with takedowns if you don't want to work.

TequillaSlammer said:
Ankle pics can be ridiculously easy, drop to your knees, grab a heel and fall forward. I dunno how it can get much simpler than that.

yah. This stuff obviously works without much power. But, are you talking a low-low single, a la sakuraba, or something from the clinch? If its the first, how would you go about setting that up?

Back