Best TD technique to get someone down

Are we talking on a wrestling mat in our singlet or gi or are we talking about facing the prospect of a fight in a bar or out in a parking lot?

EDIT I see you already answered the above question, a Street fight.

I would tend towards some sort of body lock to a trip of throw (but not a sacrifice style throw). When they throw a punch or come at you try and get double unders/bear hug or an over under pinning an arm to their side, maybe a short duck under.

You can't really get hit hard once you are in close like this and you are controlling them somewhat. I think this is a pretty natural place to wind up in during a fight and safer than trying to do a "technical" single leg or double leg. It is much harder to get a good shot in when you are wearing bulky clothes, in a crowded/cluttered area and footwear is less than ideal.

Last edited:
What about judo throws, or do those take alot of technical skill, i.e. probably easier to just use a leg takedown or trip? I know Ive been doing Judo for a few months and the throws are insanely hard to pull off on other Judo guys, but I've never tried it on an untrained guy so I don't know how hard it is. Do any of you know?

When you actually lean how to properly break the balance and throw, then its pretty easy to throw an untrained person.... takes more then a couple months.

I have had success with a double underhook trip. Double leg, Pulling guard on new guys that rush you, There like "heck yeah i got him down" and all you are thinking about is whether you want to sweep or submit.Finally a lot of new guys go for a shitty headlock that doesnt really do anything I let them use it shift to their back fall down on them and then slowly retain side control or take there back depending on what they give you.

In technical terms, pure grappling wise, any ko/soto/ouchi gari/gake would be fine.

In street terms, punch the muthafucka in the mouth and beat feet.

Low Single!!!!! that was my fav move when i first started wrestling. its also the move Couture used on James Toney,who has no experience in wrestling, just liek the hypothetical person in yur question.

well, if you shoot in on a guy, on concrete, be prepared to lose via knee shattering. seriously, don't fuck up and shoot on a guy on concrete! grass would suffice, but try to pick an area rock free.

imo since you're about the same size and my idea of a neutral stance, you should do as others have said and clinch and trip takedown, ideally landing in half guard or side control and then just let it ride w the fistacuffs.

If he's just standing straight up, double leg for sure. Maybe a single leg, but I personally wouldn't do it cuz my single legs are slow. But as a heavyweight, I lean more towards the duck under or deaushi harai.

When you actually lean how to properly break the balance and throw, then its pretty easy to throw an untrained person.... takes more then a couple months.

from my experience you don't even have to throw, the breaking balance part is more then enough

with that said I have pulled of a few "text book" throws when working as security or just being up to no good:p

from my experience you don't even have to throw, the breaking balance part is more then enough

Yea, on your average clumsy bumbling uncoordinated person with zero balance it really is.

with that said I have pulled of a few "text book" throws when working as security or just being up to no good:p

lol yea I been there a few times myself. Mostly after I had had a few and was bouncing off the walls and ready to go. :icon_lol:

romero.gif

... should be easy enough :rolleyes:

The Royce fake front kick to clinch and trip.

Hello all, how would I go about taking someone down that weighs 145 lbs. and has about 15 pounds more muscle than me... he works out constantly but is not a very experienced wrestler,

I weigh 130 and I lift weights but I am far less stronger than him, how would I go about bringing him down?

Sorry, first post here and im just getting into martial arts! I am going to join a local bjj and kick boxing gym soon, and I used to be in the local boxing gym. Lately ive just been sparring with my friends

The one you are 1) good at and 2) able to control. Grappling is a great way to handle an altercation without exposing yourself to lawsuits but you can accidentally harm someone with a take down gone slightly awry (double leg into OOPS OH SHIT HE BUSTED HIS HEAD OPEN ON THE CURB).

Hello all, how would I go about taking someone down that weighs 145 lbs. and has about 15 pounds more muscle than me... he works out constantly but is not a very experienced wrestler,

I weigh 130 and I lift weights but I am far less stronger than him, how would I go about bringing him down?

Sorry, first post here and im just getting into martial arts! I am going to join a local bjj and kick boxing gym soon, and I used to be in the local boxing gym. Lately ive just been sparring with my friends

If you're untrained too then drop it, learn some grappling, and revisit this topic if/when you are still unable to cope with his athletic advantage.

Learning Judo is the right answer here for sure.

If you don't do that i would say the ol' Gracie high front kick to double leg.

No, im not joking.

I got into it with a guy last month........ i changed levels shot in got double underhooks and used my right leg to sweep his left.....TIMBER!!!!!

then i just mounted him and held him down. Grappling is really a safe way to end an altercation.

I'm big on sacrifice trips when I don't pull guard, so I'd probably just do what I know how to do: 1. Arm/collar drag him into a forward trip (uki waza), causing him to faceplant as I climb on his back and sink the choke, or just take top position in the scramble. 2. Get behind him with an arm drag or duck-under and sit down with a backward trip (tani otoshi), take side control and proceed to knee on belly or mount for teh pwn. Perhaps a bit 'sportive', but it's a very easy way of taking someone down, and the landing ain't too rough even if it's a sacrifice move.

I would avoid hip throws unless you are good at them. turning your back to an opponent is risky.

I think arm drags to get to their back are very effective on an untrained person. Once you're behind them TD is easy

Yeah I'm assuming that because the TS is asking about the 'average' untrained person he is talking about a street fight or self-defence situation and I totally agree with you that you should never turn your back into them or risk getting stabbed!

Conventional sport judo is no good, but arm drag to take the back is a very effective and safe way to take someone down who may potentially be armed. Even a single or double is risky if say they have a folding knife in their pocket.

Yeah breaking balance is important and one of the easiest ways to break balance is to hit them first. Dead simple and very effective. Even a minor strike will disrupt their balance. Headbutts are great for this as they leave your hands free for the throw/td.

Back