Best tasting protein in water

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
Due to my aversion to lactose, I generally mix my protein with water. For the past year or so, I have been using ON Delicious Strawberry (4 scoops for every 500ml of water), but can no longer stomach the taste.

I have tried both chocolate and vanilla (both from ON) with water, but always end up gagging. Any suggestions/recipes for protein shakes that work well without milk?

Hm, my GNC whey tastes fine in water, I'd even say it tastes good. But then again, maybe it's not as quality as the ON stuff. You could try mixing in some yogurt or something and throwing it in the blender...some fruit in there could work too. Though it depends on if you're trying to lose weight or not.

I like true protein's premium flavors. I always mix them with water.

Seriously, this is like asking us to pick a girlfriend. There's no conceivable way to be able to tell you'll like something.

Some proteins have good reputations, and I personally have hated many of them. Just experiment, there's endless brands unfortunately.

IronTek - Banana Cream is actually quite tasty in cold water.

Edit: If you ever had a banana flavored ice pop.. the taste is very similar. It doesnt taste like a liquified banana.

Am I allowed to say MUSCLEMILK here (even tho not technically just protein..)

Umm reflex instant whey chocolate is nice, try some of that. quite runny in water so depends on consistency you like..

MM is the best tasting protein I've had with water.

Do lactose intollerant people have problems with Muscle Milk?

Note: I am not asking this because "milk" is in the name, but because of this:

Allergen Statement: This Product Contains Ingredients Derived From Milk And Soy. This Product Is Manufactured In A Plant That Processes Milk, Soy, Wheat & Eggs.

I have tried both chocolate and vanilla (both from ON) with water, but always end up gagging.

I'm afraid that your subjective opinion is wrong -Chocolate ON is the best tasting. :icon_conf

Do you add any carbs to it? Beta-alanine or choline? They'll all change the taste.

BTW-I choose Mariah Carey as my GF.

good quality microfiltered whey protein isolate has very little taste on its own. you could try getting plain product and customize it from there.

Isopure whey isolate chocolate in water is good, I'd make them a little thicker but thats my taste. And there's no lactose in the whey, either.

I have tried both chocolate and vanilla (both from ON) with water, but always end up gagging. Any suggestions/recipes for protein shakes that work well without milk?

wtf? You're gagging? Is the water polluted or something? I haven't had vanilla but for the life of me I can't understand someone actually gagging from the chocolate. How are you mixing it?

Get a blender out, pure some cold water in it dump the protein in it....blend for 10 secs, add handful of ice cubes blend another 20 secs.

*waits for someone to tell me blending the protein destroys it*

i never drink protein powder on its own, ive always got a bunch of fruits and/or veggies, mixed in as well. if it can mask the taste of greens powders, i think it will work for your distaste for chocolate. throw some berries in the blender, or use carb countdown if for some reason you cant throw some berries in your shakes. i dont tolerate dairy well, but calorie countdown doesnt affect me.

or you could stop being a woman about it and just chug it.

I ordered ON Whey and Vanilla and Cookies and cream is godly in water I can only imagine it in milk ( I know you can't have that) I don't even use ice with it. Just dump it into water and chug.

The problem with Lactose intolerance is due to the "lactose" content in milk. They usually lack the proper enzyme(Lactase) to break it down into something readily digestible. :) The milk derivative in Muscle Milk is Whey. Most, if not all, of the bad stuff gets filtered out and it is usually not a problem.

Ideally, although it would be expensive you might consider a Soy Milk or orange juice to mix your protein with. I think most of the problem that I have, personally, is that water is very thin(and bland) compared to other beverages. Try something a bit thicker and with a background flavor and you will probably be alright.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up getting Dymatize Elite Mocha. Tastes kind of like a diluted coffee drink... tolerable, but not great.

ISO-Pure has some pre maid protein drinks that taste fantastic, but it costs $3 a bottle for only 24grams of protein. :(

I just can't imagine it being so hard to drink a damn protein shake. It's way harder for me to eat a shitload of brocolli and cauliflower or carrots, etc. than a somewhat weird tasting drink that I can just chug.

I ordered ON Whey and Vanilla and Cookies and cream is godly in water I can only imagine it in milk ( I know you can't have that) I don't even use ice with it. Just dump it into water and chug.

+1 I just ordered a 5lb tub of the rocky road! I get milk with mine though. ON 100% is the best protein powder I've ever had. Close 2nd would be designer protein.

Can your body handle Soy milk? I know products like Silk are great for lactose intolerant people, and is also a much healthier choice over cow milk.

Every night before bed and every morning I have 1 cup of light vanilla silk with 1 scoop of BSN's Vanilla Syntha-6 in it, Tastes excellent, much better than just water. For post work out meals I use the same thing, but blended with Ice, Yogurt, Flax Meal, Fruits, and a lil fat free vanilla creamer for flavor. Tastes like dessert, and is good for ya! :p

Back