Best Scenarios For Each Weight Class

TKJ

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
FlyW:
Dodson wins the belt in an epic battle and become a long reigning champ (5 or so defenses). He is a great personality and seeing him win as a little guy would be a good thing to bring light to the division. He is easy to root for.

BW:
Barao has two dominate title defenses while waiting for Cruz to return. When Cruz returns, Barao defeats him in a fight on FOX in Brazil. Barao becomes huge in Brazil and gets good exposure in the U.S. This is another division that is in need of a dominate champion to help build interest in it.

FW:
Aldo beats Edgar in an epic battle. BJ drops to 145 and beats Zombie then beats Faber, leading to a title shot. BJ beats Aldo, in Hawaii. BJ then fights Edgar in a 145 title fight. Just about any situation after that would be good.

LW:
Bendo wins a close epic battle with Pettis, setting up an eventual rubber match. Just about anything could happen in this division and it would be okay though. The fighters who have a good shot at becoming champ all have good personalities.

WW:
GSP finishes Diaz brutally. GSP then beats Hendricks around July. GSP then moves up to MW permanently leaving the division to great fights between Condit, Marquardt, Hendricks and Diaz.

MW:
Silva beats the Vitor/Bisping winner. Weidman welcomes Rockhold to the UFC... and loses (I'm a Weidman fan, but the best thing for the division right now would not be for him to face Silva right now). GSP moves up to the MW division. GSP and Silva coach against each other on a Brazil v Canada TUF. They fight each other at the 2013 year end show.

LHW:
Jones beats the hell out of Sonnen. If Bones loses to a MW who's coming off a loss, that would be bad for the division. Jones needs to beat him decisively. Hendo beats Machida and faces Jones. Hendo beats Jones. Jones eventually comes back and gets his title back from Hendo. In the mean time, Glover, Mousasi, Jimmo and Manuwa all become legit title contenders, bringing some much needed new blood to the division. Cormier should also drop to LHW.

HW:
Cain beats JDS. Overeem beats Cain. JDS beats Overeem. Struve and more young talent develops into legit title contenders.

Let me know what you think.

Jds continue's his dominance
Shogun wins the belt
Wanderlei wins the belt then retires
Aldo becomes 1st ever fighter in UFC to hold 2 belts at once

LHW:
Jones beats the hell out of Sonnen. If Bones loses to a MW who's coming off a loss, that would be bad for the division. Jones needs to beat him decisively. Hendo beats Machida and faces Jones. Hendo beats Jones. Jones eventually comes back and gets his title back from Hendo. In the mean time, Glover, Mousasi, Jimmo and Manuwa all become legit title contenders, bringing some much needed new blood to the division. Cormier should also drop to LHW.

Where is top 5 Gustafsson in this equation? And how would Hendo beat Jones and why would the most dominant champ losing to a 42-year old be good for the division?

HW: Cain bests JDS setting up a potential awesome 3rd match. Win or lose against Cain, Overeem fights JDS eventually in the most stylistically awesome match the HW division has ever seen.

it's actually pretty complicated... on the one hand, I want Cain to beat JDS because two losses to JDS would make him irrevlivent, but I want JDS to win because Overeem vs JDS is the best possible match there is. It's so fucking awesome.

so basically Overeem vs JDS needs to happen but Cain needs to stay in the top 3 to 5... so either he needs to beat JDS and Reem vs JDS happens later, or he loses to JDS and JDS loses to Reem and Cain beats Reem (having earned his title shot by beating werdum and mir)

LHW: I'm going to go the other way here... Chael Sonnen beats Jon Jones. And no it does not "hurt the lhw division" that a mw coming off a loss won their title, it just makes Anderson Silva look that much more invincible, and it suggest that a post-therapist Sonnen is even better/or at least as good at 205 as he is 185.

And here's why it's so great. If Jones wins, he just keeps racking up wins and the division gets boring. Maybe he has a good match with alexander... maybe hendo...

but just imagine if Chael wins, then Jones is in a GSP/Serra situation where he DOMINATES a top contender to earn his rematch. Maybe they give him the loser of machida/hendo (or... even the winner?) while Chael fights Alexander

either way Jones will almost certainly get his rematch title shot and win or lose, that rematch will be one of the most interesting fights in LHW history because instead of thinking this is going to be a one sided murder like people think sonnen/jones is going to be, they'll know that sonnen beat him before... so we'll have "the best lhw in the world" vs the guy that already beat "the best lhw in the world"

not to mention, sonnen winning opens up some seriously awesome title fights. Can you say.... Sonnen vs Hendo? Sonnen vs Machida? Sonnen vs Rashad? Sonnen vs Shogun.

Heck I can't name a Sonnen vs... at 205 that I don't like

MW: Anderson beats everybody up and we enjoy every minute of it (but a superfight with GSP would be lovely)

WW: GSP beats everybody up until... it becomes Rory's time.

I hate to say this because GSP is my favorite fighter but I'm honestly wishing for a Jones/Rashad situation to happen between GSP/Rory. I think when the smoke clears they are going to be by far the two best WW's in the world.

I could be wrong.. Condit may be 2nd best, but I seriously think Rory is going to beat Condit up in the rematch (and this is coming from someone who has a LOT of respect for Condit, I think Condit is easily GSP's best win)

and if I'm right and Rory proves that he's truly the next GSP... then guess what? The old GSP is still on top, so they HAVE to fight it out (eventually Rory will take the throne, the question is can GSP hold him off for a while like Hughes did with him?)

LW: BJ Penn coming back to 155 and fighting Bendo would be the coolest possible thing that could happen with that division. Gilbert would be a close second. I couldn't give a shit about Pettis, I don't think he deserves a title shot at all. He's had 3 fights in the UFC and only looked good in one of them

but BJ coming back at 155, beating a top guy, and then getting a shot at Bendo would be epic. EPIC.

145: again, I'm going the other way, I think Edgar needs to beat Aldo. Look, there's a weird thing about dominant champions... sometimes you see one and you think "damn I hope he dominates forever" and other times you think "he needs to lose"

with Anderson and GSP, I'd be happy if they dominant until they retire, but Aldo? He needs to lose. Why? because there's just no interesting competitors at 145.

The thing is, GSP may dominant 170 but at least you KNOW that a lot of the contenders at 170 are awesome. You know Rory's awesome. You know Diaz is awesome. You know Condit is awesome, ect

but at 145, there's nobody. That's why Edgar's getting this shot in the 1st place, because Aldo ran off the biggest FW star of all time (faber) and since then the closest thing to a #2 FW was like... mark hominick, and then he went on a 4 fight losing streak and retired.

Now the FW division is very much like the women's division, meaning they are literally just picking RANDOM fighters and saying "hey! you wanna title shot?"

but at 145, there's nobody. That's why Edgar's getting this shot in the 1st place, because Aldo ran off the biggest FW star of all time (faber) and since then the closest thing to a #2 FW was like... mark hominick, and then he went on a 4 fight losing streak and retired.
Natman, stick to Lesnar threads and please stop talking shit about something you have no clue about. It's embarrassing.

The Featherweight scenario was a bit wacky, and no commentary on wmma? haha

Natman, stick to Lesnar threads and please stop talking shit about something you have no clue about. It's embarrassing.

Guy, shut the fuck up

love

natman

ps: aldo's last few fights, hominick, FLORIAN (lol), mendes, and now Edgar (lol)

FW so stacked! I just don't know it! and apparently neither do the matchmakers, otherwise they wouldn't have given Aldo 2 former LW's in his past 3 fights (with florian winning one whole fight to earn his shot)

Guy, shut the fuck up

love

natman
You didn't even know who Hominick was until he fought Aldo and think he was the number two in the division. You don't know shit. Stop embarrassing yourself.

love

someone who knows what they're talking about

You didn't even know who Hominick was until he fought Aldo and think he was the number two in the division. You don't know shit. Stop embarrassing yourself.

love

someone who knows what they're talking about

read the edit (and stop pretending to know what I did or did not know, otherwise two can play at that game)

obviously you you didn't know who dan henderson was until he fought shogun. See...I can make stuff up too

read the edit
I read it. I hope you realize Edgar was the fourth choice for a title shot before Hioki, KZ, and Koch. So much for your "that's why they gave Frankie the title shot" horseshit.

read the edit (and stop pretending to know what I did or did not know, otherwise two can play at that game)

obviously you you didn't know who dan henderson was until he fought shogun. See...I can make stuff up too
So you deny claiming you had no idea who Hominick and Shawn Tompkins were?

I read it. I hope you realize Edgar was the fourth choice for a title shot before Hioki, KZ, and Koch. So much for your "that's why they gave Frankie the title shot" horseshit.

lol and all those match ups were pondered BEFORE frankie decided he would drop down. As if dana wouldn't have done anything short of (and possibly up to) canceling any other fw fight to get the frankie fight to happen.

notice how he's been calling for frankie to drop down even when frankie was winning. It's not just for frankie's health. Dana is desperate to get some name recognition at 145

but you wouldn't know that because you think mma fans actually know who little favorite fw's are...

So you deny claiming you had no idea who Hominick and Shawn Tompkins were?

You're confused.

What you're doing is taking one fact and injecting your own theory into it as a fact (because you don't properly remember the original fact)

So I'll set you straight: I didn't REMEMBER who Tompkins was when he died. I said something about that and you and the rest of my stalkers all made sure to write it down in your natman notebooks.

I never said I didn't know who Hominick was. I even remembered him from submitting yves edwards, not to mention his WEC days.

PS: unlike you, i'm much more interested in the other divisions that I discussed. So stop harping on the tiny comments I made about FW when I made way more comments about LHW and HW.

What's a dan henderson?
Flyweight is interesting if MM beats Dodson, b/c then he has beat the majority of the top fighters at Flyweight. Moraga/Caraisio could be a fight that moves one of them near a title shot, but there isn't really any worthy guys atm.

Bantamweight is a logjam until Cruz gets healthy. Mcdonald/Barao will be amazing.

Featherweight, Aldo has quite a few interesting matchups coming up with KZ, Mendes again, maybe Poirer in his future as well if he can get by Edgar which I think he will.

Lightweight: I think Bendo holds the belt for a while. Unless Faber starts gaining weight instead of cutting weight for title shots that is...

Welterweight: I don't see anyone beating GSP unless he moves to MW. I hope he KO's Diaz, because it would be awesome.

Middleweight: Anderson end of story

Light Heavyweight: Sonnen knocks out Jones with Anthony Pettis' kick and sherdog breaks.

Heavyweight: JDS keeps defending his title forever and ever.

lol and all those match ups were pondered BEFORE frankie decided he would drop down. As if dana wouldn't have done anything short of (and possibly up to) canceling any other fw fight to get the frankie fight to happen.

notice how he's been calling for frankie to drop down even when frankie was winning. It's not just for frankie's health. Dana is desperate to get some name recognition at 145

but you wouldn't know that because you think mma fans actually know who little favorite fw's are...
Yet you apparently watched the WEC. :rolleyes:

How the fuck does someone who supposedly watched the WEC know fuck all about the FW division and think Hominick was number two?

Back