Best of the non-custom mouthguards?

mxyzptlk said:
~ They had seven (7) custom-made mouthguards and one (1) "boil-and-bite."

Not trying to start a flame war, but how objective is this? 7 custom and 1 boil and bite?

I am not denying that custom mouthguards are better, what I am questioning is the added protection, comfort and breathability, enough to justify the extra cost of the custom guards.

icedog11 said:
According to the American Academy of Sports Dentistry the difference in protection from a boil and bite to a custom type IV mouthguard is about 1000%.

You dont think these people, who are probably a trade association for dentist who make custom mouthguards, might be a little biased?

USAMMAFAN said:
You dont think these people, who are probably a trade association for dentist who make custom mouthguards, might be a little biased?
They would make much more money from fixing people's cranio-facial injuries than by selling mouthguards. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, it costs $10,000-$20,000 to restore a lost tooth over your lifetime. That's a lot more than even $250 for one mouthguard.

USAMMAFAN said:

LOL Absolutely they have a bias, and do none of their own research, and how fair was that one test I

mxyzptlk said:
They would make much more money from fixing people's cranio-facial injuries than by selling mouthguards. According to the Academy of General Dentistry, it costs $10,000-$20,000 to restore a lost tooth over your lifetime. That's a lot more than even $250 for one mouthguard.

LOL again, when left in the hands of dentists custom mouthguard made up only 1% of all mouthguards sold in the USA (academy of sports dentistry stat) so I guess that they would rather replace than prevent. $10,000 vs. even $400. This is what opened the door for companies to take the product consumer direct.

I have always used Shock Doctors, I've never had any problems with them and they protect in hockey fights pretty good.

i love my $5 shock doctor. cant imagine needing anything else for grappling with no strikes.

USAMMAFAN said:
These are good questions, I currently have a brainpad, and have never had a problem with it in two years of pretty hard sparring, although I have never tried a single since the brain pad is a double, it seems that singles are easier to breathe out of.

The reason I started this thread was because the brainpads are double's, i was wondering if a single boil and bite might be easier to breathe out when compared to the brainpad, yet still offer good protection (shockdoctor)

I actually find it easier to breathe out of a double than a single. With the single you have to seperate your lower teeth from the mouthpiece to breathe and then close it again secure your lower jaw. With the double I just pop it in and close up and thats pretty much all the mouth movement I have . Till I get clocked up side the head that is. But I've tried both and like the double better.

brainpad standard has done me well for awhile now- I used to use shock doctor and a green and black one from an unknown brand. brainpad had the best fit, stayed in and allows you to breath easy

Nate Pringle said:
brainpad standard has done me well for awhile now- I used to use shock doctor and a green and black one from an unknown brand. brainpad had the best fit, stayed in and allows you to breath easy

The major draw back in boil and bites is when you mouth form a guard the material thins out to levels that fall way below what would be considered enough for MMA. While the double design does move your lower jaw slightly forward opening the condyle ( read joint where the jaw connects with the skull) thus reducing the chance of a KO from a blow to the jaw, the remaining thinness of the material cannot protect against a blow to the mouth. Resulting in chipped teeth.

I live in Osaka and I recently had a wisdom taken out by my dentist. I brought up the subject of getting a fitted mouthguard. He actually said that a fitted one which would cost 10 000 yen was unecessary and a boil and bite one was good enough.

I was pretty suprised by this. He was trained in America so i expected him to be pretty strict about the use of mouthguards.

Back