Best Karate for MMA?

shotokan from a very good instructor, otherwise kyokushin is probably the best to learn due to its training methods

As a form Kenpo student, you know where i'll side.
But honestly, the high guard, emphasis on low, fast kicks, it's a pretty good base IMO.

you train your hands up, and youve got a pretty good combination standing.

The stuff you learn in Dojo is of no use, they are there just to make money. Just seen Ewerton Teixeira a kyokushin karateka achieve some success. Machida just has the karate stance, he doesn't even use the karate kicks. He just uses the stance for effective counter striking using conventional boxer, kick boxing, mui thay strikes. As long as its not full contact combat sport, it won't work in MMA.

I don't know what you are watching, but Machida's striking technics is mainly shotokan karate. The human body have two arms and two legs for everybody who do MMA, so if Machida throw a "left cross" (gyaku zuki in karate), it doesn't mean he's doing boxing. Karate has punches, kicks (mawashi geri been the equivalent of the Muay that kick), elbows and knees. In fact, if you watch Machida's kicks, you will see he sometime use the ball of his foot, like in kihon. His front kick (mae geri) is as shotokan karate as it could be, and his way of countering with his gyaku zuki is typical of shiai kumite. If you think karate is the same as in the Karate kids movie, you need to make a little research buddy...

this is bullshit spewed by guys who just realized they wasted 10 years of their life practicing some crap MA.

I half agree.

Alot of it is how the fighter chooses to evolve. Anyone that is purely a karate fighter is going to get their asses kicked the second someone charges at them and can walk through their shots.

If you adopt other methods, it can be a very good base. When i spar, sometimes i go to my old karate stance and throw old school kicks i learned back in elementary; gives people something theyre not used to.

As far as which style is best...that would be up to the practitioner...b/c in the end you better do more than just one style of fighting b/c if that's all you have...then you're dead in the water...as a person who's studied 4 different arts...it makes you a more rounded fighter plus it allows you to be more creative with your attacks/defense/footwork, etc...it also depends on your body composition...(height, weight, build, density, etc) that's something that you're born with...so choose arts that complement your body...that way you can train harder with less stress on your body...plus you'll enjoy it more too...hope that helps

I don't believe there is a specific style that is the best but Seidokaikan is probably one of the good ones in addittion to knockdown karate fighting it has K-1 style fighting.

Right and wrong,Semmy actually started of in Ashihara , but your right i think Daido Juku(latterly known as Kudo) is what FyouKant is talking about .

No semmy do not come from Daido juku/kudo, he comes from Ashihara karate (a kyokushin offshot) training under Sensei Dave Jonkers -who is still his coach/trainer at Golden Glory.

Oops, noted and thanks.

Well ideally you want to find a style that you like/are comfortable with
as well as good instruction. If your impartial some of the most popular
styles you will find generally or in MMA are Kenpo, Shotokan and Kyokushin

But if you want a more commonly found karate style, go with kyokushin

or its offshot Shidokan.

or one of kyokushins other offshots that do knockdown karate.
Like:
Enshin karate

World Oyama karate, Ashihara karate or one of the many others.

Shinkyoku, txs for this post, good stuff.

It is my feeling that the format of shidokan makes it particularly adapted to MMA.
Its inclusion of some judo makes it a very complete style.
The guy at the end of the first shidokan vid you posted displayed some impressive sweeps and trips.

However, I would tend to believe that the talent pool in Kyokushin is bigger and deeper than any other sort of full-contact karate.

I would train Shidokan or Kudo if only I could. But these styles are very rare... :(

That's the thing. If you had reasonable access to martial artists from every given style within walking distance, that would be one thing. However, I'm guessing you don't live in Vegas. Even if you did, there would still be limitations in what you could take (I doubt Cobra Kai is offering Shaui Jiao) and the quality of instruction is another matter (who would you rather train under, a mediocre Sanda coach, or a good kickboxing coach and wrestling coach?). Kyokushin schools and their offshoots for the most part, are readily available, more so than Kudo (nonexistent in North America) and Shidokan (mostly isolated to Chicago)

Back