Best Karate for MMA?

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to which form of karate members feel translates best into mixed martial arts.
I know a lot of fighters who train in shotokan karate and say that it helps them alot with their mma. My old instructor trained in Kenpo Karate prior to MMA and said it helped a lot. Others prefer kyokushin, etc. (I've even seen this guy whoop some ass at an amateur tournament I went to.....his main discipline....kung fu)
Although there are not many schools in my area that offer true karate classes, I would like to know which one is the best for mma and maybe theres an off chance that there is a school nearby

It isn't about the style it is about the fighter.

I'm just saying in general man....
Of course pretty much any fighter from any discipline in martial arts will find SOME way to adapt some of his martial art into mma. I'm just asking which karate translates best into mma. As far as movement, the method of striking, etc.

The stuff you learn in Dojo is of no use, they are there just to make money. Just seen Ewerton Teixeira a kyokushin karateka achieve some success. Machida just has the karate stance, he doesn't even use the karate kicks. He just uses the stance for effective counter striking using conventional boxer, kick boxing, mui thay strikes. As long as its not full contact combat sport, it won't work in MMA.

Last edited:
It isn't about the style it is about the fighter.

Actually one of the discoveries mma made was it is largely about the style, reason BJJ destroyed unprepared fighters, then wrestling, then sprawl and brawl... Sumo failed, classic kung fu failed, although san shou can be useful...

If you're dead set on eastern martial arts, san shou, kyokushin or well I can't remember the name but there is one other karate thats dece at this sorta thing. Just go MT

machida the best SUMO in MMA

Actually one of the discoveries mma made was it is largely about the style, reason BJJ destroyed unprepared fighters, then wrestling, then sprawl and brawl... Sumo failed, classic kung fu failed, although san shou can be useful...

If you're dead set on eastern martial arts, san shou, kyokushin or well I can't remember the name but there is one other karate thats dece at this sorta thing. Just go MT

I was speaking about the karate styles.

Sumo didn't fail, extremely obese people that failed.

And if some fighter from some style failed that doesn't mean other fighter from the same style will fail.

there is a Karate style that is basically a combination of kyokushin and Judo. I forget the name of it, maybe someone else here knows.

Kyokushin or one of its offshoots. You want to fight full contact, then train full contact, and kyokushin fighters are legendary for their physical toughness.

Daido juku. That's where Semmy comes from.

Right and wrong,Semmy actually started of in Ashihara , but your right i think Daido Juku(latterly known as Kudo) is what FyouKant is talking about .

Daido juku. That's where Semmy comes from.

No semmy do not come from Daido juku/kudo, he comes from Ashihara karate (a kyokushin offshot) training under Sensei Dave Jonkers -who is still his coach/trainer at Golden Glory.
However, Semmy has competed in Daido juku kudo as a guest competitor and won titles.

KK karate simply because it has kept itself from being watered down like many of the other branches of karate have.

there is a Karate style that is basically a combination of kyokushin and Judo. I forget the name of it, maybe someone else here knows.

There are several, but You are probably thinking of Daido juku/kudo as it is the most commonly known.

There are also japanese (not the australian style with the same name) Zendokai karate -originally a offshot from Daido juku. They are pretty big in amateur MMA in Japan.

Kyokushin Budokai (a dutch based organization that mixes kyokushin and judo until it is pretty similar to daido juku).

Ukado - a russian organization

You got shidokan, a kyokushin offshot that atleast iun the us and europe mixes in a lot of grappling and MMA type sparring. They have their triathlon format where the first rounds a re bareknuckle knockdown karate, then a few rounds gloved kickboxing, and lastly a few rounds MMA.

there are plenty of different karate schools with more of a MMA feel than overly formal TMA feel.
Koi no takinobori ryu -russian based style.

Tsu shin gen -Sweden based style.

but they all tend to be hard to find, small and do not cooperate very well.

But if you want a more commonly found karate style, go with kyokushin

or its offshot Shidokan.

or one of kyokushins other offshots that do knockdown karate.
Like:
Enshin karate

World Oyama karate, Ashihara karate or one of the many others.

yeah Daido juku was it. it just seems like the most applicable art to mma since they're basically already doing mma as supposed to say taking Kyokushin and then learning juijitsu. of course you could make the case that it's better to learn striking and grappling separately.

Back