Best Jiu Jitsu School in West Los Angeles Area

Neuro

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone have any opinions on this from personal experience/anecdote, etc.? Going to LA for a few weeks and trying to decide where to train.

I see Gracie Barra, Rickson's, Rey Diogo's, etc.-- all which sound great, but I was just looking for any extra info.

I just saw that Werdum opened a school out in LA, and I've heard of this school called Robot Jiu Jitsu-- which I couldn't find on google.

Any advice is appreciated.

Come check out Werdum's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/MMA school

It's on Lincoln Blvd between Venice and Washington Blvds. Technically Venice, but a couple of blocks south and you are in Marina Del Rey, so moot point.

I've been training there pretty much since the school opened last summer. Great group of guys. Very friendly atmosphere, no egos. Good instruction and, obviously, you're learning from one of the best. Fabricio teaches about half of the classes there, so it's not just a name on the door. The other instructors are also great.

Just a great vibe and energy, really dig it. Good mix of gi and no gi classes as well (they just added Tues-Thurs no gi at 8 PM, which isn't updated on the website yet).

It depends where you're going to stay. My advice is to be somewhere real close because the traffic is going to kill you, trust me on that one and in all honesty you can't go wrong with any of these schools mentioned above, there's also Hollywood BJJ (Paragon), Five Star BJJ etc. It's all about location in my opinion.

Why would you not immediately go to Ricksons?

Because Rickson doesn't teach there anymore? I think he's in Brazil now. Kron teaches all the classes (I think), still a good choice though.

Because Rickson doesn't teach there anymore? I think he's in Brazil now. Kron teaches all the classes (I think), still a good choice though.

I know Rickson doesn't teach there, but I'm pretty sure being the son of Rickson and a world champ more than qualifies you. That would be my personal first choice.

It depends where you're going to stay. My advice is to be somewhere real close because the traffic is going to kill you, trust me on that one and in all honesty you can't go wrong with any of these schools mentioned above, there's also Hollywood BJJ (Paragon), Five Star BJJ etc. It's all about location in my opinion.

Yup, I would definitely go to Five Star BJJ (Renzo Gracie LA), and I'm not being biased at all :icon_lol:

Location is definitely key, since LA traffic is pretty bad. Good luck finding a school.

Yeah, location/distance is important. Based on schools listed, it seems like he's on the west side... Santa Monica/Venice/MDR/Culver City area.

Hollywood BJJ is just a little more of a stretch and Five Star BJJ even a bit more, based on location. Nothing against those schools (I started at Hollywood when Shawn Williams was still there), but the driving can be a drag after a while if you are training a lot.

Romulo Barral teaches at Gracie Barra Encino. I highly recommend it.

No doubt his school is awesome, but the thought of driving over the Sepulveda pass to train (especially in the afternoon/evening) makes my head want to asplode.

No doubt his school is awesome, but the thought of driving over the Sepulveda pass to train (especially in the afternoon/evening) makes my head want to asplode.

Fack! i don't even want to think about that pass, brings back baaad memories. So glad I don't ever have to go through it anymore, although he could take Laurel Canyon or Coldwater Canyon as alternatives.

I know Rickson doesn't teach there, but I'm pretty sure being the son of Rickson and a world champ more than qualifies you. That would be my personal first choice.

I trained at Rickson's for a while, and it's not my first choice, even though it's right by where I lived.

If Rickson trained, perhaps. Kron is great, but this town is chock full of outrageously good BJJ teachers.

No doubt a fine school, but they should call it "Kron's" to be more honest.

At any rate, in West LA you also have John Machado, Rey Diogo, now Nino Schembri (!!!), any one of which is stupendous. And Werdum has incredible BJJ as well, can't go wrong with that. Shawn Williams, awesome, but he's arguably not in West LA.

Nino's and Werdums.

Check out Kron's for the fack of it, pretty sure there is a drop in fee though.

Matter of fact, id call ahead to all of them, and depending on prices, id narrow it down some more.

Listen: Henry Akins!!

Rickson black belt. Has his own Gym (I will look up the name for you when I get back in town - or just look him up on facebook). Did a private with him earlier this year. SUPER cool guy. Great teacher!

Spend an hour with him and you will know that you made the right choice.
Cant say enough good about this humble guy.

Peace

Regardless of where you decide to train, I highly recommend that you visit Robot BJJ.

There are plenty of reviews on yelp (you can read mine, under "Arun"):
Robot Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - West Los Angeles - Los Angeles, CA

If you want an idea of the how the instruction is, check out these videos from Tim:

If you wanna read some of the day-to-day, read my log. Or hit me up & come train with me =]

Robot looks legit. Always wanted to try out Gracie Barra, though, too-- I've just heard good stories about the ways their classes are organized, day-to-day.

All the schools look pretty legit, really.

Him and Alberto Crane, I heard-- though Alberto is the main Professor, I believe. Wonder how many of the classes Romulo teaches.

TS says West LA, doesn't that eliminate Nino Schembri's since he is down in Manhattan Beach?

You can't go wrong with Marcus Vinicius at Beverly Hills jiujitsu club or Fabricio Werdum's place. Both schools have very legitimate instructors who know their stuff with a friendly atmosphere and good vibe at the gym. Marcus Vinicius is also 2nd degree BB in judo and has classes for that about every week. Werdum has great instructors if he isn't teaching. I can't say enough positive things about Lucas Pires and Octavio Couto who teach at Werdum's. Good, knowledgeable guys who have extensive competition backgrounds who really care about their students.

Just curious, Shawn William's old school Hollywood BJJ is now a Paragon school. Who actually teaches there? THe website pretty much just lists every Paragon instructor there is. ANd where is Shawn WIlliams now?

Back