Best Jiu Jitsu School in West Los Angeles Area

if you wan to train at a fairly large academy with about 10 black belts on the mats nearly every day come to Jean Jacques Machados. This was the second BJJ academy in the US i believe and has a long list of students, many belt levels to train with and all classes are taught by Jean Jacques himself.

Him and Alberto Crane, I heard-- though Alberto is the main Professor, I believe. Wonder how many of the classes Romulo teaches.

Romulo teaches every single advanced class unless of course he's competing or doing a seminar somewhere.

TS says West LA, doesn't that eliminate Nino Schembri's since he is down in Manhattan Beach?

You can't go wrong with Marcus Vinicius at Beverly Hills jiujitsu club or Fabricio Werdum's place. Both schools have very legitimate instructors who know their stuff with a friendly atmosphere and good vibe at the gym. Marcus Vinicius is also 2nd degree BB in judo and has classes for that about every week. Werdum has great instructors if he isn't teaching. I can't say enough positive things about Lucas Pires and Octavio Couto who teach at Werdum's. Good, knowledgeable guys who have extensive competition backgrounds who really care about their students.

Just curious, Shawn William's old school Hollywood BJJ is now a Paragon school. Who actually teaches there? THe website pretty much just lists every Paragon instructor there is. ANd where is Shawn WIlliams now?

Shawn Williams is at Five Star BJJ (Renzo LA) and I believe Sean Apperson is the main instructor at Hollywood BJJ/ Paragon.

I got a question also, it is relevent. What is the closest gym from Redondo beach?

Also, I'm only going to be there 3 days, would it be worth it to even look for a gym or should I just relax? I don't want to pay a bunch of money for 3 days ya know...

strictly west la, robot method is the place to be. instructors are great, student are great. you really can't go wrong there.

5 star bjj is good too...,.:icon_chee

I spent Dec-April in LA this year and ended up training everyday with Nino Schembri. I can't stress enough how amazing a teacher he is. His classes aren't very formally structured but he has an amazing eye for detail and innovative moves. My game has improved tremendously. He's also a really cool laid back funny guy.

I've trained with Romulo and Alberto a few times, albeit never at their schools but when they visit New Mexico. I haven't actually done a class taught by them but have rolled with both and they gave me some valuable pointers. Both are very good instructors and fun to get beat up by. Plus Gracie Barra schools are always very well run.

I also trained with Shawn Williams for 3 months back in 2008 when he was at Hollywood BJJ. Once again a great instructor and a genuinely nice guy.

You can't go wrong with any of these schools in my opinion. I've also heard very good things about Robot BJJ but never made it over there to train

Last edited:
I got a question also, it is relevent. What is the closest gym from Redondo beach?

Also, I'm only going to be there 3 days, would it be worth it to even look for a gym or should I just relax? I don't want to pay a bunch of money for 3 days ya know...

Check out Rigan Machado's school. His school is very close to the Redondo beach pier.

Listen: Henry Akins!!

Rickson black belt. Has his own Gym (I will look up the name for you when I get back in town - or just look him up on facebook). Did a private with him earlier this year. SUPER cool guy. Great teacher!

Spend an hour with him and you will know that you made the right choice.
Cant say enough good about this humble guy.

Peace

it's called dynamix, henry is an awesome instructor, u cant go wrong, or go to kron's, i have heard great things about robotbjj too, just base decision on location, where u gonna stay?

Hey guys. I'm from little New Zealand. Am heading to the US to do an exchange at UCLA. Just wanted to double check which center is closest ? I checked on Google Maps, and it showed Kron's place. Just wanted to get some info from people who actually live in and around there. Thanx

Here, I put together this map:

bjjmap1.jpg

Hope that helps,

Arun

I think having good training partners is almost as important as having a good instructor.

A new gym is not likely to have higher level guys training there, the instructor may be awesome but if you can't try out techniques on people better than you, the same ability as you and someone below you then I don't think you will improve as much.

If you look at a list of some of the bjj legends, you will see that their training partners were also legends.

There are also gyms where the instructor is a really amazing high level grappler, but when they are going around teaching seminars or training for competition, then you are not going to have access to them.

TS says West LA, doesn't that eliminate Nino Schembri's since he is down in Manhattan Beach?

You can't go wrong with Marcus Vinicius at Beverly Hills jiujitsu club or Fabricio Werdum's place. Both schools have very legitimate instructors who know their stuff with a friendly atmosphere and good vibe at the gym. Marcus Vinicius is also 2nd degree BB in judo and has classes for that about every week. Werdum has great instructors if he isn't teaching. I can't say enough positive things about Lucas Pires and Octavio Couto who teach at Werdum's. Good, knowledgeable guys who have extensive competition backgrounds who really care about their students.

Just curious, Shawn William's old school Hollywood BJJ is now a Paragon school. Who actually teaches there? THe website pretty much just lists every Paragon instructor there is. ANd where is Shawn WIlliams now?

Paragon Hollywood BJJ is taught by Franjinha, Sean Apperson, Sean Patrick Flanery, and Milton Bastos

it's called dynamix, henry is an awesome instructor, u cant go wrong, or go to kron's, i have heard great things about robotbjj too, just base decision on location, where u gonna stay?

Isnt Dynamix the new gym that Antoni Hardonk co-owns?

If Henry teaches BJJ and Hardonk teaches standup/MMA, that could be a great place to train. Anyone have an address? Google yields very little.

Isnt Dynamix the new gym that Antoni Hardonk co-owns?

If Henry teaches BJJ and Hardonk teaches standup/MMA, that could be a great place to train. Anyone have an address? Google yields very little.

Yep that's right, it's Henry Akins and Antoni Hardonk. I have a friend who's trained there for the grand opening. The address is:

1207 7th St
Santa Monica, CA, 90401
(310) 395-5595
Dynamix Martial Arts

I got my blue belt at John Machado's which is in Culver City right off of the 90 fwy. It is very close to Marina Del Ray and is a great school. I now live in Texas and really appreciate the quality of training and good philosophy John Machado teaches. It has been hard to find something commiserate here.

Back