Best fighter with a bad win/loss record

hi-res-123487457-phil-baroni-enters-the-arena-during-the-one-fighting_crop_exact.jpg

The best evuh

Jon Jones

What are you talking about? Hamill absolutely tooled Jones. He broke Jones elbows with his face and then refused to respond to the ref's very clear verbal instructions - guy's a gamer.

machida looks a lot worse than he is. IMO the only decision he should have lost was weidman. i think he beat davis and rampage.

When talking to newer fans they often really underrate some of the greats because their win/loss records, when they scan fight finger or wikipedia etc they dont look like the fighter that people saw them in their prime would say they were. Young fans often forget that legends retire after a string of losses and have yet to see the top figthers of todays downward spiral.

To me the one that comes to mind is BJ Penn.

16-10-2 doenst look good on paper at all.

When you look more into it, for a fighter than never should have fought above 155lbs he only has lost to two lightweights or under in Edgar and Pulver. And for a man that made 145lbs he fought all the way up to heavyweight.

Back in the day when Penn was one of the top pound for pound fighters you had the likes of Anderson Silva who would say he was the best MMA fighter around. Looking back at his old fights and his skill set I would certainly agree.

Who you got for the most under rated fighter for people who simply judge them by their records?

I always liked Tokoro.

Basically fights lost that they didn't lose stock.

Machida did not lose stock losing to Davis or Rampage.

Nick Diaz he arguably beat Carlos Condit (baby leg kicks like Benson Henderson threw against Cerrone and it didn't work for him..) and of course who cares about his lost to the #1 P4P greatest fighter that ever lived, GSP. Nick Diaz has an incredible resume.

Marco Ruas. This guy was the first true prototypical MMA fighter. With a robust 6'2" 220lbs frame, he possessed 6 blacks belts including ones in BJJ and Luta-Livre. He was a state boxing champ and 4-time Brazilian Muay Thai champ. He introduced footstomps into the octagon and first showed the effectiveness of leg kicks. He was famous for being unbeatable in dojo fights and for his role in the BJJ/Luta-Livre wars. The Gracies avoided him (including Rickson) and Ruas often struggled to find opponents to face him. He peaked by 1995 when the sport was still very much underground and then age and injuries started to slow him down. His MMA record is only 9-4, but I heard he fought hundreds of dojo and street fights earning the title of "first hero of vale tudo."

machida looks a lot worse than he is. IMO the only decision he should have lost was weidman. i think he beat davis and rampage.

I almost said the same thing but I thought it might be greedy for me to piss and moan about a 22-5 (i think) record. I totally agree, though.

No he did not.

@danhendo
Dan Henderson
Wow, I would not want to judge that one. I had it even after 4. And diaz in the 5th

@JoeLauzon
Joe Lauzon
I eagerly await fight metrics for this fight... I thought Diaz won that all night long.

@patmiletich
Pat Miletich
That decision was an absolute joke. At best, Condit won 2 rounds.

@mattlindland
Matt Lindland
Great fight Diaz 1,2,5 Condit 3,4

@TheCodyMcKenzie
Cody McKenzie
Wow really goes to show you how bad these judges suck Carlos ran the entire time.

@joshneer
josh neer
Wow. Nick got robbed 4-1 diaz. Carlos was doing the Forrest Gump #runforestrun.

@RondaRousey
Ronda Rousey
If I wanted to see a man run for 25 minutes I'd go to a track meet. Diaz is the real champ, what a bulls*** fight.

@CungLe185
Cung Le
I meant Diaz rounds 1,2 & 5 and Condit 3 & 4

@EllenbergerMMA
Jake Ellenberger
You got to be kidding me...

@thugjitsumaster
Yves Edwards
I wanted Nick to win but there's no way Condit won 4 rds backing up.

Marco Ruas. This guy was the first true prototypical MMA fighter. With a robust 6'2" 220lbs frame, he possessed 6 blacks belts including ones in BJJ and Luta-Livre. He was a state boxing champ and 4-time Brazilian Muay Thai champ. He introduced footstomps into the octagon and first showed the effectiveness of leg kicks. He was famous for being unbeatable in dojo fights and for his role in the BJJ/Luta-Livre wars. The Gracies avoided him (including Rickson) and Ruas often struggled to find opponents to face him. He peaked by 1995 when the sport was still very much underground and then age and injuries started to slow him down. His MMA record is only 9-4, but I heard he fought hundreds of dojo and street fights earning the title of "first hero of vale tudo."

Yeah, he was an elite pioneer of modern mma. I was always shocked when he lost. He had it all at a time when nearly everybody else was still stuck in traditionalist or dogmatic rut. A truly prototypical mixed martial artist.

@danhendo
Dan Henderson
Wow, I would not want to judge that one. I had it even after 4. And diaz in the 5th

@JoeLauzon
Joe Lauzon
I eagerly await fight metrics for this fight... I thought Diaz won that all night long.

@patmiletich
Pat Miletich
That decision was an absolute joke. At best, Condit won 2 rounds.

@mattlindland
Matt Lindland
Great fight Diaz 1,2,5 Condit 3,4

@TheCodyMcKenzie
Cody McKenzie
Wow really goes to show you how bad these judges suck Carlos ran the entire time.

@joshneer
josh neer
Wow. Nick got robbed 4-1 diaz. Carlos was doing the Forrest Gump #runforestrun.

@RondaRousey
Ronda Rousey
If I wanted to see a man run for 25 minutes I'd go to a track meet. Diaz is the real champ, what a bulls*** fight.

@CungLe185
Cung Le
I meant Diaz rounds 1,2 & 5 and Condit 3 & 4

@EllenbergerMMA
Jake Ellenberger
You got to be kidding me...

@thugjitsumaster
Yves Edwards
I wanted Nick to win but there's no way Condit won 4 rds backing up.

Nice. Pros are no good at judging fights - especially if they are friends/teammates of one of the fighters.

Back