• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Elite WW grappler in history?

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I remember a good few years ago the WW division was consisted of very elite grapplers such as Jake Shields, Rousimar Palhares, Damien Maia, Ben Askren, Jon Fitch etc.

Who would you say was the best grappler out of all of these?
Rousimar Palhares, on paper, seems to be the best, as he beat Jake Shields and Jon Fitch, but his wins are kind of controversial as he was accused of eye pokes in one of them I believe. He is an elite grappler, but he was also prone to bending the rules a little.

Jake Shields victory over Maia, imo, was pretty comprehensive, he really displayed some elite level grappling in that fight.

I really don’t know who was the best out of this lot. Who you do all think?

Note, this question is pure grappling ability, not general MMA ability.

Khabib also deserves a mention, but I wonder how he would have done against prime Fitch, Maia, Palhares, Askren, Shields etc.

Nah man, it's still GSP. Pure grappling, he wrecks those dudes.
I'm not sure about that. He basically molded his grappling for control. Takedown based on speed, and control. A Pure natural grappler from a stand still position will most likely beat him. GSP is still impressive, but I woudn't put him at the top of the list...

I'm not sure about that. He basically molded his grappling for control. Takedown based on speed, and control. A Pure natural grappler from a stand still position will most likely beat him. GSP is still impressive, but I woudn't put him at the top of the list...

Against Askren, Shields, Maia and Pahares, I'm pretty confident GSP takes them in pure grappling.

I remember a good few years ago the WW division was consisted of very elite grapplers such as Jake Shields, Rousimar Palhares, Damien Maia, Ben Askren, Jon Fitch etc.

Who would you say was the best grappler out of all of these?
Rousimar Palhares, on paper, seems to be the best, as he beat Jake Shields and Jon Fitch, but his wins are kind of controversial as he was accused of eye pokes in one of them I believe. He is an elite grappler, but he was also prone to bending the rules a little.

Jake Shields victory over Maia, imo, was pretty comprehensive, he really displayed some elite level grappling in that fight.

I really don’t know who was the best out of this lot. Who you do all think?

Note, this question is pure grappling ability, not general MMA ability.

Khabib also deserves a mention, but I wonder how he would have done against prime Fitch, Maia, Palhares, Askren, Shields etc.

shield's controversial split decision victory of Maia was hardly "comprehensive"

Against Askren, Shields, Maia and Pahares, I'm pretty confident GSP takes them in pure grappling.
did they have a pure grappling match? I remember there was something about it possibly happening, but can't remember.
Pure grappling is not the same thing as mma grappling, I think GSP would be at a disadvantage against Ben for example, just from a purely wrestling base.

Why would Khabib deserve a mention in a thread about the WW division? I don’t remember him having any fight at WW in the UFC (I know he did in Russia).

Why would Khabib deserve a mention in a thread about the WW division? I don’t remember him having any fight at WW in the UFC (I know he did in Russia).
there was some movement about setting up a grappling match with GSP at some point, that would be cool to see if it happened.

He is an elite grappler who was kinda big for a LW and could arguably hang in a grappling match against elite WW grapplers.

Khabib v Shields would be interesting. If Khabib went to the ground with prime Palhares, it would be dangerous, imo.

I like GSP in in terms of MMA, he is the best.

But, in terms of pure grappling ability, is he really the best? Askren, Shirlds, Maia, Palhares etc are a nightmare for him in pure grappling imo.
we are talkin MMA
so yes gsp is number 1 WW all time in grappling

Back