Best ALL FIRST TEAM in NBA History

Do standings tell more of a story because Hakeem's Rockets also finished with a better record and higher position in their respective conference than the Knicks that year......

I am open to discussion but what basis do you have to place Pat over Hakeem in 88 other than personal preference

Akeem was also coming off 2x dominant postseasons (including a Finals appearance) heading into '88 and was All-NBA First in '87. My guess is at that point he was largely considered Jabbar's heir as the best center in the game until proven otherwise

1988-89 season comparison
MALONE
FGM 809
FG% 519%
3M 5
3P% 312%
FT% 766%
OFFR 259
DEFR 594
AST 219
STL 144
BLK 70
PT 2326

BARKLEY
FGM 700
FG% 579%
3PM 35
3P% 216%
FT% 753%
OFFR 403
DEFB 583
AST 325
STL 126
BLK 67
PT 2037

A reflection of both Malone & Barkley's seasons in 1988-89, including NBA all-star & NBA first team honors. In 1987-88, Barkley and Bird were NBA first team. This was a special pool of talent back then.

So this thread is riding a little bit of presumption in that Lebron is considered a point guard this year and that this years all first will be Bron, Harden, Kawhi, Freak, AD.

This got me thinking, is this the GOAT of First teams and if not what is. Going back to the 70’s I appreciated the 2003 & 1988 lineups! These were the best two with this years rounding out the best three imo

1988:
Magic
MJ
Bird
Barkley
Olajuwon

2003:
Kobe
T-Mac
Garnett
Timmy
Shaq

let’s hear your thoughts here?!?

My number one would be 2003
MJ, Bird, Magic are all top 10 players all-time. Olajuwon is top 15 and Barkley is top 30. 2003 team is led by Timmy and Shaq both top 10 players. Kobe is around 12 all-time, but in 2003 he was still playing Robin to Batman. Garnett is top 25 and Mcgrady might make top 100. Pretty easy pick here 1988 wins. but by your earlier post, you sound like a Kobe fan so you might have him higher.

So this thread is riding a little bit of presumption in that Lebron is considered a point guard this year and that this years all first will be Bron, Harden, Kawhi, Freak, AD.

This got me thinking, is this the GOAT of First teams and if not what is. Going back to the 70’s I appreciated the 2003 & 1988 lineups! These were the best two with this years rounding out the best three imo

1988:
Magic
MJ
Bird
Barkley
Olajuwon

2003:
Kobe
T-Mac
Garnett
Timmy
Shaq

let’s hear your thoughts here?!?

My number one would be 2003

This thread deserves a poll.

Do standings tell more of a story because Hakeem's Rockets also finished with a better record and higher position in their respective conference than the Knicks that year......

I am open to discussion but what basis do you have to place Pat over Hakeem in 88 other than personal preference
are you really going to debate with someone who just said he would take a guy not even in the league over Olajuwon?

Back