Beneil Dariush Wants to be Backup Fighter

Why not make him vs Islam as a Co-Main for the card. If something happens, we have a back-up ready - if not, we have a banger of a fight.

I think Dariush is toughter fight for Islam, a way toughter fighter for Islam than Poirier certainly, maybe even tougher fight than Oliveira too. Maybe.

But on the other hand, I think Islam is also the toughest fight for Dariush.

Dariush paid his dues inside the octagon. He deserves to not fight Islam

I really don't understand the Dariush hype. I don't mean this in a condescending way - can someone explain? I have not followed him at all.

Please, Benny is much more proven than that guy whose balls you polish. For you to even suggest that Benny is afraid is completely absurd. Your boy just jumped like 8 spots beating the #15 guy, casuals may fall for that bullshit, but you're talking to the wrong ones sir.

Benny has been in the top 5 multiple times in this division and he's finally being consistent. Islam still needs to face someone in the top 10, then he can start looking at the top 5. Gives him time for the UFC hype machine to establish him as the next Khabib.

TL;DR: Benny earned his shot, you and Islam can eat my whole asshole.

@Ackmed
he's kind of right, tho

Why not make him vs Islam as a Co-Main for the card. If something happens, we have a back-up ready - if not, we have a banger of a fight.

I really wish the UFC did this more often. Then make sure to have a prelim guy in same weight class who step up to fight in the main card fight against the guy without an opponent now. Other guy on prelims is out of luck, but he'll get paid his show money and hopefully quick fight re-schedule

But the UFC keeps having dedicated backup fighters like they did with Chandler on the Porier/Connor first fight

Gave me a heart attack when the dedicated backup RDA weighed in before Connor at UFC 264, after all the talk of Connor making sure to come in at 156 not 155. Was afraid Connor fudged his cut and was stuck at 158-159 at the hotel

I really don't understand the Dariush hype. I don't mean this in a condescending way - can someone explain? I have not followed him at all.

We've seen a handful of UFC vets fix the holes in their game and become champions lately (like Porier, Olivera, or Jan) or high level contenders (Burns) rather than a guy that hit the UFC, go on an immediate win streak or high winning record, and take the belt (Usman, Yan, Izzy) like Islam is looking to do.

Dariush seems like he could be the next well rounded vet to make a run. And with all the Islam wrestling credentials hype, Darriush seems like a nightmare matchup for him with how well he's suited his BJJ to MMA lately.

He's also on a 7 fight win streak at 155 and people forget that, or how hard it is to go on a run like that through the ranks of 155. Islam is on an 8. They have multiple common oppoenets as well as overall level of competition.

These ppl be acting like islam is the red panty night which is hilarious asf.
If I was an mma fighter I would not fight Islam so I don't make less money.
No idea what's wrong with Ali, but he's benefiting everyone else much better than he's handling Islam... weird.

Eye test is obvious for Islam. So he should be next for Dariush. But, ducking is possible, and a title fight is the dream. So this feels like avoidance and hope more than a real path to gold.

Dariush has become a top fighter. I think he should trust his abilities to beat everyone of the top guys.

Gaethje vs Chandler should be obvious. That leaves Islam vs Dariush. I'd give the winner of the new guys the next shot. See how good they are. Gaethje and Chandler already had their shot, both finished. One with a good effort, the other embarrassingly.

Beneil is a trump supporter so i can’t give his brain any credibility. Decent fighter but better dead than red!
Oh was he? I saw he was on Candace Owens show a little while back. Kinda gross and it does make me think a little less of him but he's still such a damn good fighter in the ring, its hard to not be a fan of the violence he brings to the cage. But I'll probably root for Islam if the two of them fight.

Easy show money with high reward potential in the event someone does get injured.

Doing a weight cut for the 5% (probable less) chance that one of the fighters can’t make the walk. That’s bold.

@Ackmed
he's kind of right, tho

Some parts of his post are right (yes Islam did move from #9 to #5 after his last win against #14).

But he's wrong to imply that Islam's #5 rank is illegitimate.

If there were LWs below Islam with better recent performances and a better record then I can see his argument but that's simply not the case.

Let's see:

#6 Tony - he got dominated in 3 consecutive fights. Yeah his competition was tough but he didn't even win any rounds against them...he offered almost no resistance against them...so he shouldn't be ranked above Islam.

#7 RDA - his win over Felder was good. Felder didn't have a training camp and RDA also had a change in opponents & fighting stlyle on short notice. Is that win more impressive than Islam's recent performances? Not IMO. RDA should be above Tony though.

#8 Hooker - he's faced tougher competitors but has been a 50/50 fighter in his last 6 fights with two losses in a row...should not be ranked above Islam...should be ranked above Tony though

#9 Conor - I don't need to elaborate on this one, he shouldn't be ranked above Islam

#10 Gillespie - has good performances except a KO loss against FKL in his second last fight so he shouldn't be ranked above Islam's 8 fight win streak

Same story if we go lower in the rankings.

Unless someone can justify a revised LW ranking order that shows Islam below #5, posts complaining about his rank are baseless.

It's a no-brainer to figure out who is more willing to fight the other: just ask yourself who has more to gain from that match.

They each have the same to gain.

Neither Islam nor Dariush are in a position to get the next TS while remaining inactive.

Both Islam and Dariush would he #1 contender with a single win over each other

Some parts of his post are right (yes Islam did move from #9 to #5 after his last win against #14).

But he's wrong to imply that Islam's #5 rank is illegitimate.

If there were LWs below Islam with better recent performances and a better record then I can see his argument but that's simply not the case.

Let's see:

#6 Tony - he got dominated in 3 consecutive fights. Yeah his competition was tough but he didn't even win any rounds against them...he offered almost no resistance against them...so he shouldn't be ranked above Islam.

#7 RDA - his win over Felder was good. Felder didn't have a training camp and RDA also had a change in opponents & fighting stlyle on short notice. Is that win more impressive than Islam's recent performances? Not IMO. RDA should be above Tony though.

#8 Hooker - he's faced tougher competitors but has been a 50/50 fighter in his last 6 fights with two losses in a row...should not be ranked above Islam...should be ranked above Tony though

#9 Conor - I don't need to elaborate on this one, he shouldn't be ranked above Islam

#10 Gillespie - has good performances except a KO loss against FKL in his second last fight so he shouldn't be ranked above Islam's 8 fight win streak

Same story if we go lower in the rankings.

Unless someone can justify a revised LW ranking order that shows Islam below #5, posts complaining about his rank are baseless.

Fair arguments imo

They each have the same to gain.

Neither Islam nor Dariush are in a position to get the next TS while remaining inactive.

Both Islam and Dariush would he #1 contender with a single win over each other

I respect your point of view, but I don't see it that way. From where I sit, Dariush has built a much stronger résumé, with a longer trajectory in the organisation and having faced higher quality opponents, on average, than Makhachev has.

If I was an mma fighter I would not fight Islam so I don't make less money.
No idea what's wrong with Ali, but he's benefiting everyone else much better than he's handling Islam... weird.
It's difficult to handle Islam in Ali's position, his toughest employee he's working on probably because a lot of people are concerned of his health if they're willing to take a fight against him even though he's a grappling beast and has decent stand up. He's certainly getting the rub now by jumping the rankings after beating someone ranked #14, at least Vettori beat Hermanson to give him a high enough ranking to gain credibility.

I respect your point of view, but I don't see it that way. From where I sit, Dariush has built a much stronger résumé, with a longer trajectory in the organisation and having faced higher quality opponents, on average, than Makhachev has.

That's fair, respectful difference of opinion on both sides.

It's difficult to handle Islam in Ali's position, his toughest employee he's working on probably because a lot of people are concerned of his health if they're willing to take a fight against him even though he's a grappling beast and has decent stand up. He's certainly getting the rub now by jumping the rankings after beating someone ranked #14, at least Vettori beat Hermanson to give him a high enough ranking to gain credibility.
No idea what your trying to say, like at all.. nor do I understand how u shoved vettori into this.
Anyway, what you did was convince me I was wrong actually, since you reminded me of his sudden jump in ranking out of nowhere.

Ali is still the MMA manager GOAT.

we would have never seen the same fighter lose 3 fights in a row that are title fights in 2 different weight classes if that man didn’t exist. (With all respect to frankie).

Back