1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Beneil Dariush Wants to be Backup Fighter

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Ackmed, Jul 28, 2021.

  1. Ackmed Red Belt

    Joined:
    May 25, 2019
    Messages:
    8,120
    Likes Received:
    7,119
    According to this article Dariush's coach is asking for Dariush to be the backup fighter for Dustin vs Oliveira.

    I can see him wanting a TS in case one has to pull out but by only asking to be the backup and not to have an opponent scheduled on the same card...effectively it means he's good with being inactive for quite a while. After a weight cut to be backup, he's not going to want to fight again soon.

    Or maybe this was Ali's suggestion to protect Beneil from having to face (and lose) to Islam.

    Dana said Islam vs Dariush was the fight to make....and shortly after that Dariush's camp makes a call-out....to be backup fighter

    <BC1>

    https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/7/...sh-backup-charles-oliveira-dustin-poirier-ufc
     
    Po, MCS, Ukram and 7 others like this.
  2. ExitLUPin K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2015
    Messages:
    19,833
    Likes Received:
    13,256
    Location:
    Excommunicado
    Benny started his win streak beating Moises and Dober... the 2 guys who Makhachev recently beat and prolly his 2 best wins.

    Makhachev is a fight or 2 away from fighting Benny who should be in a title eliminator at least in his next bout so a backup makes sense.
     
  3. JustOnce Itami

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2015
    Messages:
    14,169
    Likes Received:
    8,396
    I think Dariush is toughter fight for Islam, a way toughter fighter for Islam than Poirier certainly, maybe even tougher fight than Oliveira too. Maybe.

    But on the other hand, I think Islam is also the toughest fight for Dariush.

    Dariush paid his dues inside the octagon. He deserves to not fight Islam
     
  4. Krixes The Undefeated Gaul Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2017
    Messages:
    14,235
    Likes Received:
    11,931
    Location:
    Always moving
    Ducking Islam confirmed....
     
  5. Simple'Slam Banned Banned

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2021
    Messages:
    384
    Likes Received:
    583
    Dariush said he's not going to fight this year anyway. Doesn't really matter, since Islam wants to fight this year.
     
    RiseAboveHat and HockeyBjj like this.
  6. Darius0995 I'd rather be a blind moth.

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    Messages:
    999
    Likes Received:
    1,160
    What?

    you’re way overestimating Dariush’s capabilities.
     
    KingBarbozaGOAT, Plew94 and felmmando like this.
  7. JustOnce Itami

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2015
    Messages:
    14,169
    Likes Received:
    8,396
    Match ups make fights.
     
    drbolony likes this.
  8. Bearknuckle Black Belt

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2014
    Messages:
    5,524
    Likes Received:
    2,580
    Beneil is a trump supporter so i can’t give his brain any credibility. Decent fighter but better dead than red!
     
  9. drbolony -El Styles-

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    Messages:
    14,322
    Likes Received:
    4,658
    Location:
    San Diego
    Please, Benny is much more proven than that guy whose balls you polish. For you to even suggest that Benny is afraid is completely absurd. Your boy just jumped like 8 spots beating the #15 guy, casuals may fall for that bullshit, but you're talking to the wrong ones sir.

    Benny has been in the top 5 multiple times in this division and he's finally being consistent. Islam still needs to face someone in the top 10, then he can start looking at the top 5. Gives him time for the UFC hype machine to establish him as the next Khabib.

    TL;DR: Benny earned his shot, you and Islam can eat my whole asshole.
     
    Drugstore Cowboy, RogerD and fortheo like this.
  10. Luckyme Purple Belt

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2020
    Messages:
    1,817
    Likes Received:
    1,595
    I was just watching Chael commenting on this and he brought up an interesting point. Fighters that are willing to be backups usually get fast tracked to a title shot. Usman, Chandler, and others got a title shot after serving as backup.

    This may be what Cordero is angling for. Dana gives Dariush a title shot against the winner of Oliveira vs. Porier. It’s better for Dariush as Justin, Islam, and Chandler are all bad matchups for him due to the wrestling disadvantage. It’s a short cut to a title shot.
     
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    brackis1 likes this.
  11. ExitLUPin K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2015
    Messages:
    19,833
    Likes Received:
    13,256
    Location:
    Excommunicado
    Makhachev is one of the easiest matchups for Benny among top 20 LWs maybe the easiest
     
  12. Ackmed Red Belt

    Joined:
    May 25, 2019
    Messages:
    8,120
    Likes Received:
    7,119
    Makhachev did it a lot easier than Beneil against their common two opponents. Dober almost had Beneil TKO'd.

    The fact that one is vying to be a backup fighter while the other is asking for a top opponent shows who's more willing to fight the other.
     
    Simple'Slam likes this.
  13. Darius0995 I'd rather be a blind moth.

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2012
    Messages:
    999
    Likes Received:
    1,160
    Dustin is arguably the toughest match-up for anyone in that division - he’s that good. Don’t confuse Islam for Khabib, regardless of how promising he looks.
     
    qw3rty likes this.
  14. ExitLUPin K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2015
    Messages:
    19,833
    Likes Received:
    13,256
    Location:
    Excommunicado
    Makhachev def dominated Dober more than Benny did who was in trouble.

    But Benny 30-25'd Moises and only didnt finish since his fight was 3 rounds and he almost finished him in the 3rd. Makhachev had the full 5. Makhachev didnt have a single 10-8 let alone 2 before it went to round 4.
     
    Safton, Drugstore Cowboy and fortheo like this.
  15. Luckyme Purple Belt

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2020
    Messages:
    1,817
    Likes Received:
    1,595
    Well to be fair, a lot of fighters are MAGA-heads so it’s not only Dariush. But his post fight speech was one of the cringiest things I’ve ever heard. It made Tony sound halfway normal. He also hung out with Candace Owens recently and is a Ben Shapiro fanboy so yeah, not the brightest bulb in the box.
     
  16. Ackmed Red Belt

    Joined:
    May 25, 2019
    Messages:
    8,120
    Likes Received:
    7,119
    You do realize you can be a backup while still having a fight booked on the same card right?

    In the 2% chance that a backup is needed you get a TS, and in the 98% chance a backup isn't needed u can cement your position as the next title contender (by winning) or risk dropping your rank (by losing) to Islam. In this case his risk of losing to Islam is high enough for him to prefer to be a backup-only
     
  17. dildos Titanium Belt

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2011
    Messages:
    35,297
    Likes Received:
    13,540
    Location:
    Sydney
    There’s levels to this, and Islam isn’t on dariush’s level yet.
     
  18. rjmbrd Gold Belt

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2010
    Messages:
    20,316
    Likes Received:
    3,146
    Location:
    New York, NY
    I'd prefer Dariush fight another top 10 opponent on the same card.

    It just makes sense when they bake in backups by having other suitable candidates available.
     
    Ironnik94, fortheo and Ackmed like this.
  19. Ackmed Red Belt

    Joined:
    May 25, 2019
    Messages:
    8,120
    Likes Received:
    7,119
    Makhachev hasn't lost any of his last 20 rounds. Beneil also got almost KO'd by Drakar Klose and he eeked a split decision win over Ferreira.

    Moises vs Dariush was Moises' debut at a young age.

    Dariush is a top competitor but he's no Islam
     
  20. ExitLUPin K

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2015
    Messages:
    19,833
    Likes Received:
    13,256
    Location:
    Excommunicado
    Makhachev got KOd by Adriano Martins and rocked by Davi Ramos of all ppl lol

    The judge that had the Ferreira fight split was on crack. Benny easily won the first 2 rounds. And prolly the 3rd too.
     
    Oscar Madison likes this.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.