Beneil Dariush Wants to be Backup Fighter

Makhachev got KOd by Adriano Martins and rocked by Davi Ramos of all ppl lol

The judge that had the Ferreira fight split was on crack. Benny easily won the first 2 rounds. And prolly the 3rd too.

Lol if you're going to go years back to Martins then Dariush has 4 times the losses as Islam.

Islam asking for a contender fight vs Beneil's coach is asking to be a back-up shows who is more willing to fight the other

You do realize you can be a backup while still having a fight booked on the same card right?

In the 2% chance that a backup is needed you get a TS, and in the 98% chance a backup isn't needed u can cement your position as the next title contender (by winning) or risk dropping your rank (by losing) to Islam. In this case his risk of losing to Islam is high enough for him to prefer to be a backup-only
I'm sure there have been cases where two fights in the same weight class have been booked for the same card and the "lesser" fight got scratched on short notice because someone dropped out of the bigger fight.

But being named as a backup fighter or asking to be a backup fighter sort of implies you don't have a fight booked.

I'm sure there have been cases where two fights in the same weight class have been booked for the same card and the "lesser" fight got scratched on short notice because someone dropped out of the bigger fight.

But being named as a backup fighter or asking to be a backup fighter sort of implies you don't have a fight booked.

Exactly so why not ask for an opponent on the same card as Dustin vs Oliveira...and a clause to be the backup for the TS if needed. Dariush being ranked #3 would make that a reasonable clause since he'd be fighting a lower ranked Islam (based on Dana's post fight comments).

You do realize you can be a backup while still having a fight booked on the same card right?

In the 2% chance that a backup is needed you get a TS, and in the 98% chance a backup isn't needed u can cement your position as the next title contender (by winning) or risk dropping your rank (by losing) to Islam. In this case his risk of losing to Islam is high enough for him to prefer to be a backup-only
I'm saying Islam doesn't deserve to fight Benny period. The rankings may have the casuals convinced of this, but we know better.

To protect his 7 fight won streak
Eventually he will have to fight Islam.

A win over a version of tony Ferguson even I can beat today won’t hold much value after a while. Tony is shot and finished a top tier fighter would have put him away earlier. Tony is a huge name on the resume but when matters and the version of tony Dariush beat anyone on the roster can beat.

I think Dariush is toughter fight for Islam, a way toughter fighter for Islam than Poirier certainly, maybe even tougher fight than Oliveira too. Maybe.

But on the other hand, I think Islam is also the toughest fight for Dariush.

Dariush paid his dues inside the octagon. He deserves to not fight Islam

Me trying to figure out whether this is a compliment of or a burn for Dariush.

giphy.gif

Dariush playing the game of getting that belt opportunity via the path of least resistance. He now has 20 fights in the UFC, riding his longest unbeaten streak, in his prime knocking on the door to a TS. He knows it’s time to be smart about matchups, take the favorable circumstances, as in being a back up to the title fight versus fighting the guy that nobody want to be paired against...LoL. Sure some will call it a duck, it is in a way, but guys like Bisping and Serra were able to win a title by leveraging risk smartly and being front and center when an opportunity presented itself. Beneil broke into the top #15 rankings back in early 2015, was even riding a 5 fight win streak at one point, clawing his way to the number #7 ranking, only to go 2-3-1 over the next 2 year stretch and get knocked out of the top 10. He’s been around, knows the game and isn’t going to let his detractors and an inflated ego compromise his best shot at winning the title...
<WhatItIs>

The fact that one is vying to be a backup fighter while the other is asking for a top opponent shows who's more willing to fight the other.

It's a no-brainer to figure out who is more willing to fight the other: just ask yourself who has more to gain from that match.

Benny started his win streak beating Moises and Dober... the 2 guys who Makhachev recently beat and prolly his 2 best wins.

Makhachev is a fight or 2 away from fighting Benny who should be in a title eliminator at least in his next bout so a backup makes sense.
also Moises and Dober..got much better and got a higher rank by the time they fought Islam

Making him co-main in the card against Justin or Chandler and if someone drops out of the main event let Dariush fill in since he's on a win streak and the other two aren't

According to this article Dariush's coach is asking for Dariush to be the backup fighter for Dustin vs Oliveira.

I can see him wanting a TS in case one has to pull out but by only asking to be the backup and not to have an opponent scheduled on the same card...effectively it means he's good with being inactive for quite a while. After a weight cut to be backup, he's not going to want to fight again soon.

Or maybe this was Ali's suggestion to protect Beneil from having to face (and lose) to Islam.

Dana said Islam vs Dariush was the fight to make....and shortly after that Dariush's camp makes a call-out....to be backup fighter

<BC1>

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/7/...sh-backup-charles-oliveira-dustin-poirier-ufc
Fighting islam is more important than a title shot now?
Get ur head out the dagistani ass, ts.

I think people need to cool their jets on this "xxxx is ducking Islam"

I know I'd much rather opt for a title shot over fighting a guy with zero top 10 wins. Not denying Islam's skills but lets be serious here.

I think people need to cool their jets on this "xxxx is ducking Islam"

I know I'd much rather opt for a title shot over fighting a guy with zero top 10 wins. Not denying Islam's skills but lets be serious here.

It's not one vs the other though (Islam vs title shot)

Only being the backup is a very unlikely way of getting a TS (Dustin or Conor has to pull out for dariush to get a TS).

Winning another fight, however, would cement his spot. So why not book another fight on the same card as Dustin vs Oliveira, while still being the backup for the main event?

According to this article Dariush's coach is asking for Dariush to be the backup fighter for Dustin vs Oliveira.

I can see him wanting a TS in case one has to pull out but by only asking to be the backup and not to have an opponent scheduled on the same card...effectively it means he's good with being inactive for quite a while. After a weight cut to be backup, he's not going to want to fight again soon.

Or maybe this was Ali's suggestion to protect Beneil from having to face (and lose) to Islam.

Dana said Islam vs Dariush was the fight to make....and shortly after that Dariush's camp makes a call-out....to be backup fighter

<BC1>

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/7/...sh-backup-charles-oliveira-dustin-poirier-ufc

He said after the Ferguson win he wants to take time off with expecting a kid anyways

Seems volunteering to be backup fighter, which UFC is using a lot lately, he can train to just stay in shape now like half a full camp, balance time at home, and still “contribute” to the UFC with his time off to keep himself around the title/contender picture

seems a win for him and ufc to use him this way

I was just watching Chael commenting on this and he brought up an interesting point. Fighters that are willing to be backups usually get fast tracked to a title shot. Usman, Chandler, and others got a title shot after serving as backup.

This may be what Cordero is angling for. Dana gives Dariush a title shot against the winner of Oliveira vs. Porier. It’s better for Dariush as Justin, Islam, and Chandler are all bad matchups for him due to the wrestling disadvantage. It’s a short cut to a title shot.

I saw that video too, but Chael made it sound like Chandler got an immediate TS as a reward for being the backup to the TS...but instead he needed another fight and because he got an impressive quick KO of Hooker then he got the TS.

If Islam fights and beats RDA, Chandler or Gaethje while Dariush stays inactive (but cuts weight to be a backup fighter), I'd be surprised if the next TS in 2022 went to Dariush.

He said after the Ferguson win he wants to take time off with expecting a kid anyways

Seems volunteering to be backup fighter, which UFC is using a lot lately, he can train to just stay in shape now like half a full camp, balance time at home, and still “contribute” to the UFC with his time off to keep himself around the title/contender picture

seems a win for him and ufc to use him this way

Possible, but he did say after his last fight in May that he doesn't want to fight again until late 2021 or 2022....Dustin and Charles are likely fighting in late 2022...so based on what he said a few months ago this shouldn't be too early for him to take another fight on the same card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back