Bendo wants to move up to 170 again

pincmil

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Sounds like he wants to go up to welterweight again. Mentioned 2:16 into the clip below.

This move seems kind of strange to me because the division is stacked. I think he thinks he has a faster route to getting a title shot by moving a class, but I don't really see how because the division has so many guys right there for a title shot.

Aside from doing extraordinarily strange happening like the UFC needing an opponent at the very last second to fight the champ or a top 170 contender, he's a long way off from the belt.

Think he should just stay put at 155?

[YT]qRDS7edTSkA[/YT]

Give him the likes of Mike pierce and jake frozen ellenberger

he is afraid another lw loss in a row might get him canned. the old weight class move is a classic time buyer

Going up a weight class doesn't seem like too big of a deal, but when you think about the fact that Ben Henderson might end up fighting a dude like Tyron Woolley or hector Lombard it seems kinda crazy

Bendo excells when he can throw people around and is physically stronger, and that's going to be hard at 170.

I honestly don't think he has the strength for that weightclass, he seems to be just getting by strength-wise at lightweight.

If he moves up a weight class he loses his strength advantage but gains a speed advantage. Remember that Frankie Edgar was champion at LW.

What for? He's still a top caliber fighter at 155. He got blatantly robbed in his last fight against Cerrone.

At 170 he gives up his size.

Hes pretty much done everything there is to do at 155 I'd love to see him try at 170.

Thought this was his plan after this last fight anyways.

It was until he got matched against Cerrone. Then he figured he was in line for a titleshot and decided to hang around. Now that he lost (officially, at least), he's back to his original plan.

Masvidal and Nate should fight. Let Green and Thomson have a rematch.

He said before he got robbed by a Cowboy he was planning on staying put after all. But the unexpected decision loss changed the circumstance. Now I suppose he really has to move up to 170 where he can have a virtually fresh start and doesn't need to deal with the fact he's already lost to the champ twice.

But I don't see how giving away a size advantage will make him a contender. He's not technically standout at anything or quick. I would think he'd merely be a good ww, but not one of the better ones.

I would be interested to see him in new match-ups against the shorter, solid guys like Alves, Burkman, Saffiedine, and Ellenberger. Certain opponents like Rory it'd just be ridiculous I think. The size disparity was noticeable when he got ko'ed in ammys at 170 by Chad Klingensmith.

If he moves up a weight class he loses his strength advantage but gains a speed advantage. Remember that Frankie Edgar was champion at LW.

Sure, but that LW division that Frankie fought in was different than today's LW division. A lot of the guys he faced at LW no longer are top LWs.

but he was taken down by Frankie. Wouldn't the 170 pound grapplers maul him?

Good luck to him. There's new possibility matches at WW. He has good fight skills and IQ. Look forward to his first fight at WW.

Henderson is falling on some rough times, but I don't think that 170 is going to be any nicer to him.

Back