Bendo wants to move up to 170 again

Henderson is falling on some rough times, but I don't think that 170 is going to be any nicer to him.

Agree with you totally. TJ Grant has been on a tear in lightweight but at welterweight he lost Ricardo Almeida, Hendricks and Dong. I dont think welterweight fares well for him at all and he would struggle so bad against some really big guys like Rory, Hendricks, Lombard etc

He should welter wieght could use him and hes never made 155 without a towl around him lol

I'm guessing he can't make 155 anymore.

He can but not as easily. 170 will be good for Bendo... the guy won't have a significant size disadvantage at 170 and weight cut will be much easier. He will be at LEAST two bigs wins from a title tho--- prolly 3 or 4 (top 15 guy, top 7 guy, #1 contendor bout)

said it before and i'll say it again

he's a small LW and he'll get ragdolled at 170

He said before he got robbed by a Cowboy he was planning on staying put after all. But the unexpected decision loss changed the circumstance. Now I suppose he really has to move up to 170 where he can have a virtually fresh start and doesn't need to deal with the fact he's already lost to the champ twice.

But I don't see how giving away a size advantage will make him a contender. He's not technically standout at anything or quick. I would think he'd merely be a good ww, but not one of the better ones.

I would be interested to see him in new match-ups against the shorter, solid guys like Alves, Burkman, Saffiedine, and Ellenberger. Certain opponents like Rory it'd just be ridiculous I think. The size disparity was noticeable when he got ko'ed in ammys at 170 by Chad Klingensmith.

Do you realize how long ago that fight was?

I think he's just mad that he lost again. Right before his fight with cowboy he was talking about how he was staying at 155 and how he'd beat Pettis.

Agree with you totally. TJ Grant has been on a tear in lightweight but at welterweight he lost Ricardo Almeida, Hendricks and Dong. I dont think welterweight fares well for him at all and he would struggle so bad against some really big guys like Rory, Hendricks, Lombard etc

Almeida was a good fighter, and Grant lost all decisions, one a majority against the future champ in Hendricks. So he could be competitive with just about anybody.

In retrospect, Grant's run at LW was overrated.

At LW he just edged Dunham, ko'ed Wiman, got a controversial win over a Roller w/out TRT, and ko'ed Maynard who had that happen his next couple times also. On FM, Maynard is now ranked 48th, Dunham 47th, and Wiman 35th. Is that even a top 10 run in retrospect? Especially Maynard was a vastly different fighter than he was perceived at the time.

Obviously, your chances should usually theoretically go up moving down a class, but I don't think the change was that dramatic. You also should factor in age. He was relatively young, 25, when he joined UFC. Some improvement is expected.

As much as i love Bendo seeing him go to 170 will be the end. Seen the guy personally in the airport, he is huge for 155, back as wide as door. Not very tall though. No way he is 5'9 maybe 5'8 at best. I'm 5'10 and towered next to him. Too small for 170.

Only he knows at what weight his body works and feels best. I'd like to see how he does at 170. It creates a lot of interesting potential match-ups.

I'd rather see guys move up and challenge themselves against better fighters than deprive themselves of nourishment and suffer through a harsh cut to fight inferior opponents.

but he was taken down by Frankie. Wouldn't the 170 pound grapplers maul him?

Frankie's takedowns were largely predicated on timing, technique, and speed, all three of which is he in vastly greater quantity than any top welterweight. I think the Thomson fight is a little more worrisome, and make me feel like Hendricks, possibly McDonald, and especially Lombard might be able to score takedowns pretty easily in the clinch.

Despite that, I feel like the time is right for Benson. He's not about to get any real shine at LW, especially with Pettis as champ. Welterweight feels a bit weak right now. Worst case scenario it doesn't go well and he drops down, possibly with a champ people would have more interest in seeing him fight (Khabib, presumably). Best case scenario he may make a real run. Benson has consistently been moving towards a more speed-oriented outside point-kickboxing game, so a speed advantage may do more for him than a strength advantage. He's also hard to hit, and generally good at looking like he's the more active fighter. Considering Lawler, McDonald, and Lombard all have a tendency to pursue 5-minute staring contests with their opponents and Hendricks's gas tank is all over the place, I find it hard to imagine them matching his output. They may need to either take him down and keep him there with the cardio to do it consistently or get the KO.

Of course, the top 4 certainly have the power to get the KO, even McDonald, and Benson's boxing has always been wanting. I don't think I'd favor Benson over any of them. But if they spend too much time mesmerized by his movement (or gassed, in Hendricks's case) and start letting him steal too many rounds, I wouldn't be shocked.

Back