Bench program

Griborn

White Belt
Reaction score
As i mentioned in another thread i have hurt my back so while the other big lifts are off the table i thought i could at least increase my bench.

Started lifting weights about a year ago using SL 5x5 did 5/3/1 since september when i took up MMA/MT again. Haven't squatted or DL for almost 2 months because of my back but kept doing 5/3/1 on bench (bbb assistance + croc rows for assistance) 2 times a week.

Since im a noob i guess progression could be quicker with other programs.

Ive never maxed out but i guess 3x100 is my best bench so far and my goal is a stronger bench (and in a couple of months a stronger everything).

Looked up aggressive programs like smolov jr but maybe madcow for bench would benefit me more?

As i mentioned in another thread i have hurt my back so while the other big lifts are off the table i thought i could at least increase my bench.

Started lifting weights about a year ago using SL 5x5 did 5/3/1 since september when i took up MMA/MT again. Haven't squatted or DL for almost 2 months because of my back but kept doing 5/3/1 on bench (bbb assistance + croc rows for assistance) 2 times a week.

Since im a noob i guess progression could be quicker with other programs.

Ive never maxed out but i guess 3x100 is my best bench so far and my goal is a stronger bench (and in a couple of months a stronger everything).

Looked up aggressive programs like smolov jr but maybe madcow for bench would benefit me more?

I wouldn't peg smolov jr as an aggressive program.

[LEFT said:
Griborn;77510603]

?

I take it your talking kg's?

I wouldn't peg smolov jr as an aggressive program.

Well the weight increases seem aggressive compared to my bench. I would have to do 10x3x100 in three weeks if didn't completely misunderstood the program.

Aah, yes the weight is in kg

I'd go with Westside's program. Max effort day then speed day. Lots of fun, different lifts each workout. You do need the equipment though, bands, chains, boards, ect.

Good luck, if you have any more questions let me know. Just give it a google search.

It's not a set routine, but this is what I did and managed to get my bench to explode up. All the weight is in lbs. An example of the routine I did was this:
1st set - 135 x 8 or 10 (warmup)
2nd - 185 x 8 (warmup)
3rd - 225 x 7 (warmup) This built me up to get to my working set
4th - 255 x 5
5th - 255 x 5
6th - 275 x at least 3. Spotter is needed for this one. (Final kill set)
Each time I would go to bench the last 3 sets would change. I'd increase the reps for the 4th and 5th by simply 1 and try to do 1 more on the 6th set. Then the next time I would go I would add a micro plate on (2.5 lbs) and go back to the 5 reps. It worked well for me and a couple of my friends that tried it, but to each his own. It's just a suggestion.

Well the weight increases seem aggressive compared to my bench. I would have to do 10x3x100 in three weeks if didn't completely misunderstood the program.

Aah, yes the weight is in kg

By the time you get to week three it will feel quite light. Smolov prepares the CNS by greasing the groove (the high set number). Strangely enough, I ran Smolov jr in high school for my deadlift and never once did the recovery of my lower back hinder my progress.

By the time you get to week three it will feel quite light.

Wat? Felt heavy as fuck when I got to week 3.

I'm not sure what your definition of aggressive is, but benching 4x a week is pretty aggressive.

I think a 5x5 program Benching twice a week is a better long term option. My bench exploded off a Bill Starr routine and then used Smolov jr to get me over 300.

I think Calvus had some success with the Add50 bench program.

Justin Randall/HonkeyKong put up a short bench programme a while back. IIRC it was based on speed bar ell bench and heavy DB bench.

Wat? Felt heavy as fuck when I got to week 3.

I'm not sure what your definition of aggressive is, but benching 4x a week is pretty aggressive.

I think a 5x5 program Benching twice a week is a better long term option. My bench exploded off a Bill Starr routine and then used Smolov jr to get me over 300.

Light may not be the correct term but it felt like it in terms of my previous max. I didn't have to grind reps at all. Also seeing as TS isn't squatting or deadlifting I don't feel that the load of Smolov jr is excesive. This is just my opinion.

Back