Bench Press: Great lock out, poor lift?

TwoFour Lowkick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The followings is from an article on floor presses that appears as a link in The Glossary.

In my case the floor press, and especially the floor press with the inclusion of bands increases my bench press more than regular bench pressing does. This is due to the fact that I am extremely fast and strong off the chest, and extremely poor at the lockout. The floor press allows me to focus more on what I am bad at, taking my leg drive and explosion out of the lift and forcing me to work in a different way. I also do board presses like this. It seems to overall be easier on the body allowing for more gains and recovery. I believe someone could develop a good bench press doing minimal bench presses as long as they do some heavy full range rep stuff after their dynamic effort and once a month on max effort.
Floor Press and its Applications By Aaron DiPrima For EliteFTS

Now, I am the complete opposite of this guy. I struggle with the initial lift off of my chest (I'm slow as shit lifting around 80% 1RM) and once I get to just before the halfway point, I pick up speed and I lock out fast. This guy was able to fix his problem with the floor press. Is there some variation of the bench press that I could do that will help me rectify my problem?

Another thing. I noticed that when sparring (muay thai) if I fire my jab from more of a classic boxing stance with my left hand near my jaw line or cheek area, it lands... meh. But if I float my jab out a little and fire it from half way out, I seem to get a MUCH better snap. Anything think this is from a similar muscular deficiency as I mentioned above?

The followings is from an article on floor presses that appears as a link in The Glossary.

Floor Press and its Applications By Aaron DiPrima For EliteFTS

Now, I am the complete opposite of this guy. I struggle with the initial lift off of my chest (I'm slow as shit lifting around 80% 1RM) and once I get to just before the halfway point, I pick up speed and I lock out fast. This guy was able to fix his problem with the floor press. Is there some variation of the bench press that I could do that will help me rectify my problem?

Try paused bench and just benching more. It could also be a form issue.

Another thing. I noticed that when sparring (muay thai) if I fire my jab from more of a classic boxing stance with my left hand near my jaw line or cheek area, it lands... meh. But if I float my jab out a little and fire it from half way out, I seem to get a MUCH better snap. Anything think this is from a similar muscular deficiency as I mentioned above?

This sounds like a technique issue. Without seeing your technique my guess is that when you float your hand out in front it decreases the distance that your hand has to travel so it makes your jab seem snappier. It's hard to say without actually seeing you though.

Make sure technique is right first. Definatly work on your pauses! Dont forget about deep dumbell presses. But most of all, be exsplosive! If you train slow you will be slow! If you train exsplosive you will be exsplosive!

You probably just need to bench more. How much can you bench?

Sounds like your triceps are working more then your chest. As mentioned before, pause bench presses or even DB flys should be added as an assistance if possible.

Thanks guys. I am a bit new to lifting, especially heavy lifts. I was part of the "let me lift this one weight for 20 reps because it'll give me a great pump and make me cut" crowd. I've only recently seen the light :) Now it's mostly Oly lifts and power lifting for me, so I am still trying to develop my technique and understanding..

Try paused bench and just benching more. It could also be a form issue.

CFS Hitman said:
Make sure technique is right first. Definatly work on your pauses! Dont forget about deep dumbell presses. But most of all, be exsplosive! If you train slow you will be slow! If you train exsplosive you will be exsplosive!

You think that part of it may be that I am now just getting used to lifting correctly? I had a friend watch my form and he told me to stop bouncing the bar off of my chest, to not use momentum. So I have be trying to pause when the bar is at chest level (I'm assuming this what you mean by pause) and then trying to exploded up. Unfortunately my explosion is more M80 than C4. I'll definitely incorporate the dumbbell presses into my routine.

Hotstreak1987 said:
Sounds like your triceps are working more then your chest. As mentioned before, pause bench presses or even DB flys should be added as an assistance if possible.

Hmm.. maybe. My triceps are probably the most defined muscles I have on my body aside from my quads. If I were to do 3 sets of 10 reps I can do about 155lbs with a close grip but only 165lbs with a standard grip.

rckvl said:
You probably just need to bench more. How much can you bench?

I'm sure you're right. An injury has sidelined me from muay thai for the last 1.5 months so I started weight training to keep in shape. I'm down to 185 from 196lbs though I am noticeably bigger (in my upper body). As for how much I bench, I can lift 185lbs @ 5 sets of five and 205lbs at 3 sets of 3.

But most of all, be exsplosive! If you train slow you will be slow! If you train exsplosive you will be exsplosive!

I have always thought that this is BS. I've gotten way quicker at my sprints since I have been squatting and I never do any DE.

From the FAQ's:
Q: Won

I have always thought that this is BS. I've gotten way quicker at my sprints since I have been squatting and I never do any DE.

From the FAQ's:
Q: Won’t lifting heavy things make me really slow and inflexible?

A: NO! This is an ancient piece of nonsense that seems to never die, weights will actually make you quicker and if allied with a good stretching program will actually make you more flexible. However, if you lift slowly, through a shortened ROM and don't stretch then yeah they will make you slow and inflexible.
I don't think that he means it will make you slow, just that the lift itself will be slow. At least I hope that's what he means. Which is where DE work can useful.

OP how often do you bench?

It could be a technique issue as well. Are you tucking your elbows and arching your back?

OP how often do you bench?

Mondays and Thursdays

Perfect Moo said:
It could be a technique issue as well. Are you tucking your elbows and arching your back?

I try not to arch my back. Last time I benched I caught myself flaring my elbows out.. I try to keep them tucked, don't know if I flare them out unconsciously sometimes.

DrBdan said:
Lifting explosively doesn't just mean DE work. It means performing the lift as explosively as possible. The bar might be moving slowly because the weight is heavy as fuck (for you) but it should still be moving as quickly as possible. None of the bodybuilder-eque "down for 4, hold for 1, up for 2" counting bullshit. Bring it down controlled and then explode up.

Sorry, what is DE? Lifting explosively is how I try to lift.

DE = Dynamic Effort. Basically it means lifting a sub-maximal weight as fast as possible.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/Training-bp.htm

The Dynamic Effort Method is not used to develop maximal strength, but to increase force production and explosive strength. By training at 50-70% and using compensatory acceleration, the athlete will become more explosive. Using compensatory acceleration (pushing as hard and as fast as one can during the concentric phase of the lift) allows the athlete to push maximally against sub-maximal weights. Thus an athlete that can bench press 300lbs. using 180lbs (60%) can produce 300 lbs. of force as long as he concentrates on accelerating the bar. The training of force development is imperative in order for an athlete to achieve his potential.

It's very popular in Westside style training. Personally I think it could be a useful tool but it's not needed for a beginner lifter.

*Waits for PCP to comment*

No and no.

I try not to arch my back. Last time I benched I caught myself flaring my elbows out.. I try to keep them tucked, don't know if I flare them out unconsciously sometimes.

Why do you try to not arch your back?

Lifting explosively doesn't just mean DE work. It means performing the lift as explosively as possible. The bar might be moving slowly because the weight is heavy as fuck (for you) but it should still be moving as quickly as possible. None of the bodybuilder-eque "down for 4, hold for 1, up for 2" counting bullshit. Bring it down controlled and then explode up.

I can dig it.

I can dig it.

shaft2.gif

You think that part of it may be that I am now just getting used to lifting correctly? I had a friend watch my form and he told me to stop bouncing the bar off of my chest, to not use momentum. So I have be trying to pause when the bar is at chest level (I'm assuming this what you mean by pause) and then trying to exploded up. Unfortunately my explosion is more M80 than C4. I'll definitely incorporate the dumbbell presses into my routine.

Pausing is a competition rule. You don't want to pause in training unless you are close to a meet because pausing inhibits the stretch reflex somewhat. In training, you are better off touch and go as this helps build power off the chest due to a stronger stretch reflex

If you are slow I suggest 9 sets of 3 at 50-60% of a 1RM, using three grips: thumbs from smooth, pinky on ring, and index on ring. This should be done on the third or fourth day after your heavy bench workout. When you reach heavier poundages you may add a set of minibands to this.

Many on this website may disagree with speed work (these people tend to try it for a month or two before jumping programs) but it will work if you put in the time. When I started using the DE method a little over a year ago, I was using 140 for my raw speed sets and benching around 250. Now I bench in the area of around 375-385 and use 205 for my speed benching. One benefit I have seen from all the DE work is that I am no longer weakest at the bottom, but at the upper/mid ranges of the press.

Hmm.. maybe. My triceps are probably the most defined muscles I have on my body aside from my quads. If I were to do 3 sets of 10 reps I can do about 155lbs with a close grip but only 165lbs with a standard grip.

The closest grip a raw bencher should use is thumbs from the smooth

Last edited by a moderator:
Back