Ben Askren says he is better than Khabib!

An olympic level wrestler who is a master at cutting weight and has been doing it at the highest level his entire life does not want to cut down to 155, even though he can do so according to your retarded logic, and win the belt? Or maybe you're implying that Khabib is better at cutting weight than Askren, since he's "heavier"?

Lmao, you're both brain-dead dumbfucks.

There is no need to rage and go for ad hominem when bitchslapped by facts, kid. It's a fact that Khabib walks around almost 10 pounds heavier than Askren, and they are also basicly the same height (1 cm difference) if they fought there would be no size difference between the two and if anything Khabib would look slightly bigger. Why Askren doesn't want to cut life-threatening amount of weight like Khabib does is beside the point, a lot of fighters don't want to cut 30-40 pounds because it's insane health-wise.

Khabib is a much better striker and ground and pounder. Chain wrestling, top control, etc is close to a wash. So, objectively no he's not better than Khabib.

um ben has finished most of his fights at 170.

kabob had problems with a real estate agent.

tibau gave him fits.

and a whisky salesman took a round from kabob.

my money is on funky. should kabob ever step up to a challenge

he is already ducking tony again
Khabib has finished 100% of his fights (9 fights) at 170. Funny thing is the Russian 170ers he's finished are not that different skill level wise than the 170ers Askren has finished.

Even though I'm pretty sure that vid is old and Askren likely has better grappling fundamentals now in terms of sub defense etc, it still makes you appreciate Marcelinhos greatness. It also should make people realize how truly underrated a grappler Diego Sanchez was given that he lasted over 11 minutes with this beast as a PURPLE BELT at ADCC back in the day. Same tourney where Garcia tapped Shinya Aoki in about one minute.

True about Marcelo.
Still, back to the topic, Askren may have "improved his grappling fundamentals," but that doesn't put him at the multi-titled Sambo gold medalist-level that Khabib is as a grappler. Khabib is a lot closer to Askren as a wrestler, than Askren is to Khabib as a grappler, submission Sambo medalist.

The only thing Askren has, really, is a little size on Khabib. Even that is suspect, as Askren really never cuts weight down to the same type of 'ripped' status Khabib gets to, to weigh 155. There is always a little paunch on Askren's gut :)

Don't get me wrong, I like and respect Askren, but he's a little slow and soft compared to Khabib, doesn't have the submission skills, or the striking reflexes while standing, and he doesn't fight as dynamically or intensely on the ground, IMO. If I were Khabib, I would actually *let* Askren take me down, and not waste a drop of energy trying to take Askren down, which is not likely to happen.

If Khabib wastes his energy trying to take Askren down, he's a fool. Instead, he should try to keep it standing, out-box the daylights out of him, and if Askren goes for the takedown ... welcome it ... and proceed to use his sambo + wrestling to either submit, or achieve a reversal. I think Khabib is a better all-around fighter than Askren, but he probably won't be able to take him down.

Time will tell ...

True about Marcelo.
Still, back to the topic, Askren may have "improved his grappling fundamentals," but that doesn't put him at the multi-titled Sambo gold medalist-level that Khabib is as a grappler. Khabib is a lot closer to Askren as a wrestler, than Askren is to Khabib as a grappler, submission Sambo medalist.

The only thing Askren has, really, is a little size on Khabib. Even that is suspect, as Askren really never cuts weight down to the same type of 'ripped' status Khabib gets to, to weigh 155. There is always a little paunch on Askren's gut :)

Don't get me wrong, I like and respect Askren, but he's a little slow and soft compared to Khabib, doesn't have the submission skills, or the striking reflexes while standing, and he doesn't fight as dynamically or intensely on the ground, IMO. If I were Khabib, I would actually *let* Askren take me down, and not waste a drop of energy trying to take Askren down, which is not likely to happen.

If Khabib wastes his energy trying to take Askren down, he's a fool. Instead, he should try to keep it standing, out-box the daylights out of him, and if Askren goes for the takedown ... welcome it ... and proceed to use his sambo + wrestling to either submit, or achieve a reversal. I think he will beat Askren as an all-around fighter, but he won't be able to take him down.

Time will tell ...

I don't really disagree with your assessment of each guy. But, as I explained before, I don't think this is a case where the more well rounded, "better overall" fighter wins head to head.

I think the gap in wrestling, while not some huge canyon, is just wide enough to where Askren can consistently put Khabib on his back. And while I agree Khabib is plenty capable off his back (and you are correct for sure that he's LIGHT YEARS better than Askren is off his back) the advantage still lies with Askren when he has top position. Esp given that it has been years since Khabib has even needed to fight off his back. It's also a scenario where there's no question in my mind that Khabib would tire quickly having to carry Ben's weight on top of him for any period of time.

Top position in MMA is such a huge advantage when its 2 high level grapplers. Nobody thinks Jake Shields (who was very very good) is the better overall grappler than Demien Maia. But the moderate wrestling edge he had that gave him top position consistently in that fight was enough to let him clearly win the grappling exchanges and thus the fight. I think we'd see something similar in this fight. But...that said I could absolutely be wrong. I'd pick Ben, but with moderate confidence at best.

Agree. I am a sports gambler, and I love betting, but I wouldn't bet the farm either way on this one :)
There are "intangibles" in a fight like this ... and both men are supremely-confident ... and proven WINNERS, no matter what, each one having an awesome and consistent record of success.
If it happens, I will enjoy watching it no matter what, and I have much respect for both men and their absolutely indomitable, winning spirits.
Will almost be a shame that one has to lose ... and the funniest thing would be a draw ~ also entirely possible. They may only negate each other.

Can Askren take Khabib down?
Yes
Do i think he can stay there without being reversed for 5 rounds?
No
Can Askren trade with Khabib if he fail to keep him down a full round?
No
Can Askren sub Khabib?
IDTS
Can Khabib sub Askren?
ITS

IMHO Khabib takes by being a better MMA fighter.

I agree with what you've written, but lmao at holding footage of Askren getting tapped by Marcelo against him. Marcello would tap both Askren and Khabib at the same time.

Just a continuation of the discussion. As good as Marcelo is as a grappler, it's clear he's mortified at the idea of getting hit.
His only, sad, attempt in MMA ...

You can be the best grappler in the world, but if you're terrified of taking a punch (and/or can't take a punch), you're not a fighter ... you're actually just a guy who likes to grapple.

Khabib is a fighter; he's not just a soft grappler. He would decimate Marcelo Garcia in a real fight. It wouldn't even be a contest.

Last edited:
Just a continuation of the discussion. As good as Marcelo is as a grappler, it's clear he's mortified at the idea of getting hit.
His only, sad, attempt in MMA ...

You can be the best grappler in the world, but if you're terrified of taking a punch (and/or can't take a punch), you're not a fighter ... you're actually just a guy who likes to grapple.

Very true. Even when they get a grappling-centric match in an MMA fight it's just a different animal. I watched probably the best pure grappler of all time get ragdolled by Tim Kennedy in an MMA fight. On the mat. Yeah there was a bad weight cut and Roger gassed, but we are still talking about the best ever. Thoroughly outgrappled by...Tim Kennedy.

I think most people commenting have not seen many, if any, of Askren’s fights. Based on his fights that i’ve watched (all if them), i don’t think he’ll have any issues with Khabib’s striking.
I don't believe you. The word embarrassing doesn't do justice to how bad ben askrens stand up is. cindy dandois would look good compared to him

But hes the better wrestler and uts not like Khabib is a grappling wizard off his back or a k1 striker here either
better wrestler via credentials but who has ben actually mauled and controlled on the ground in MMA that is worth a shit???

khabib mauling a top level grappler and bjj black belt in RDA> anyone askren has beat

better wrestler via credentials but who has ben actually mauled and controlled on the ground in MMA that is worth a shit???

khabib mauling a top level grappler and bjj black belt in RDA> anyone askren has beat

If you think Khabib "mauled" RDA you haven't watched that fight. He did zero damage. None. Yes he controlled him but that's it.

And RDA is an elite top position grappler but he is purely defensive off his back in MMA. He is not a guy who threatens with subs or sweeps from his back.

Khabib did what he needed to in order to win, but save the hyperbole. It was him laying on top of RDA for most of the 15 minutes.

Askren I agree needs to prove himself vs better competition. We'll see. Lima and Koreshkov are good wins, but let's see what happens in the UFC.

What do you think?
tumblr_p3lzgeC7BA1wtflupo1_400.gif

Lol lets tell you a little something about a guy named Shinya Aoki

Submission grapplingEdit
  • ADCC Japan
    • 66–76 kg: 1st place
  • Deep X
    • Deep X Superfight Champion (2007)
  • Shooto
    • Shooto Grappling Champion (2006)
  • Dumau/Kansai
    • Dumau/Kansai Cup Champion (2005)
  • All Japan Jiu-Jitsu
    • All Japan Champion (2004-brown belt); (2005-black belt)
  • Rickson Gracie's Budo Challenge
    • 2005 Middleweight Champion
  • Rickson Gracie Invitational
    • 1st place
  • Other Accolades
    • Top five collegiate Judoka
    • GI Grappling 05, 1st place
    • Reversal Cup Champion (2004)
Now let me tell you a little something about your man RDA

Main Achievements (BJJ/Grappling):

• Brazilian National Bronze Medallist (2004, 2005 – brown belt division)
  • European Bronze Medallist (2006 – black belt)
  • World Champion (2003 – purple belt division)

Difference in results??

Khabib decisioned him and never had RDA in any danger.

Askren finished Aoki on the ground in the opening minutes with vicious GnP.

In the Words of the great Notorious BIG
" And if you don't know, now you know, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. "

Back